Do you think its worthwhile to spend $500+ on a helmet?

No, not for me. I’d love a 2.5 pound helmet but I won’t pay thousands or even $500 for one that’s (almost) 3 pounds. Regardless of price most helmets weigh around 3.5 pounds or more so the functionality of features and the comfort of the interior would be the determining factor for me as long as it’s DOT and Snell or ECE certified.
I agree totally. I would not waste $500 on your head either. Ha ha ha :poke:
(I just couldn't let that one go)

DOT means basically nothing!
Look that it has a snell rating aswell and go with what fits best with your taste in terms of fitting and features.

I used to have a 150 dollar HJC which was snell and dot approved but it was uncomfortable, very loud and just not good overall. Now I own a 700 dollar HJC with only DOT but all the features and comfort I wanted.

Bottom line is- they make good helmets which are cheap AND safe. Everything on top of that is your personal taste.

I think it means something. They all seem to test helmets differently.

The foam inners of helmets is a plastic like material that is foamed up into little bubbles like the milk in your espresso. Over time these bubbles burst, and when enough burst the foam padding will not work in a crash as designed. They generally say 5 years, which means you probably have 7 or even 8 years before there is an issue. Most of you know this obviously, but helmets do degrade and making them last longer would make them more expensive. I'm sure there is some super material on the space shuttle that would last longer, but at NASA prices!

I figure there has been more testing and trials put into helmets today than ever before and even the more inexpensive helmets made today are far safer than helmets of even 10 yrs ago.

I saw a guy last summer with a probably $1200 helmet on his head wearing shorts, muscle shirt (minus muscles) and sneakers....he might as well be wearing a ball cap...

I wouldn't wear the cheapo knock offs though.

I usually wear my HJC or Scorpion. I've crashed in both and they saved my head....

I wouldn't trust those cheap helmets though....i.e. Bilt, etc

You’re not only buying protection. You’re buying ergonomics. You’re buying additional comfort. You’re buying extra engineering.
You’ll notice a lot of cheaper helmets come in fewer shell sizes and make the difference up with more or less padding.
A lot of the more expensive helmets exceed those ratings greatly, where some of the cheaper ones just meet said standards.
Personally, this isn’t something I would ever consider skimping on. Considering it lasts for years if you don’t have an accident, it’s a great investment

You’re not only buying protection. You’re buying ergonomics. You’re buying additional comfort. You’re buying extra engineering.
You’ll notice a lot of cheaper helmets come in fewer shell sizes and make the difference up with more or less padding.
A lot of the more expensive helmets exceed those ratings greatly, where some of the cheaper ones just meet said standards.
Personally, this isn’t something I would ever consider skimping on. Considering it lasts for years if you don’t have an accident, it’s a great investment

Do you have an example of a helmet exceeding those ratings greatly? I always though it was a pass or fail situation

Ratings are a nice thing to have but in reality they are just a way of telling you if your helmet meets the bare minimum of safety standards. Just like crash test results for cars. They don’t tell you If you will survive or not. Buy what you can afford and are comfortable wearing. From what I’ve read, a properly fitting cheap helmet is better than an improperly fitting expensive helmet.

I've has many helmets in my life. tried this one then that maker. When I tried an Aria on at a bike shop, I said wow. The comfort and softness of the material but also snug. I figure if the cheaper helmets I tried would have been as snug as my Aria, it would have been very uncomfortable. Also, Aria has I think three different cushion sizes for the same shell, so you can get a smaller or larger cushion for same type shell that fits your face exact and most comfortable. I will never go back to any other helmet.

My $270 AGV K3SV had great fitment, internal sun visor, and plenty of air flow. It is also DOT and ECE 22.05 certified. It also weighs barely more than its $1500 Pista carbon big brother.

People always ask what is your head worth? Mine is not worth paying much more for a name.

If they didn’t, the helmet companies couldn’t sell you a new helmet every couple of years.

Let's be real. We will still buy another helmet regardless. My Tartaruga helmet was well within date. Bought my Donkey just because I wanted it. Girlfriend will enjoy my Tartaruga helmet for many more years. Also, she wants a Ruroc Atlas helmet. Guess what she will get for Christmas? The one she wants.

Back