When did helmets get so expensive?

Fredyp33

Registered
Sold my 2006 a few years ago. Bought it in 07 with 500 miles on it. Had a scorpion helmet which fit great, accessories for it were reasonably priced (mirror shield and chin wind blocker) and I felt safe in it. It was definitely heavier than my buddy’s Shoei.

I’m getting a ‘19 when they come out and am just starting to price new helmets. Always wanted a Shoei but dang those things are a lot more expensive than I remember. I’m looking for a lighter helmet with good venting and not too much wind noise.

Any recommendations? Was hoping to be around the $350 range but will spend more if needed to get a good all-around helmet.

Oh and would like descent graphics. Wouldn’t want a straight black helmet. Ive seen one or two clearance Shoei’s around $350 but want to see what else everyone would recommend.

https://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/insanity/39257

image.jpg

I bought an HJC RPHA 70 ST a couple years ago and it was around $375 or so, it is a decent helmet with removable liner, good venting and Snell rated.
I have an Arai as well and was going to replace it with another Arai...until I priced it that is...wow, it is expensive. The Arai is reaching it's shelf life of 5 years so will be retired this coming season and the HJC will become my primary

I started riding a little more than 2 years ago, I couldn't believe how expensive protective gear is.

For the most part, I like to support my local shops. I'm a thrifty shopper (wife says I'm cheap; it's true) so most of the time I can't justify spending 25 to 40 % more for a item.

For motorcycle gear, I haven't found any gear (even on sale) locally that is reasonably prices. So, all my protective gear has been purchased online. I only visit my local gear & motorcycle dealers to get a "hands on feel" and sizing for a product I'm interested in purchasing. It's sad to admit, but true.

In the beginning, I didn't know helmets are so different. Even within a manufacturer, the models vary wildly on quality and feature. Luckily, as I've said, I'm cheap. So my first helmet was in the sub $200 price range, is good quality and great features; including integrated bluetooth.

Torc - 1.jpg

After buying a '02 Busa, I began to understand "wind noise." Again, luckily, I'm cheap and found a used Shoei RF-1100 for less than $100. This helmet is Snell approved, so it passed inspection at the California Superbike School (CSS) course I attended.

Shoei RF-1100.jpg

Now (after taking course at CSS), I don't ride too fast on public roads. The "need for speed" has diminished considerably.

So, I just purchased a novelty helmet (under $100) for riding around town.

War Machine - 2.jpg
War Machine - 1.jpg
War Machine - 3.jpg

I will ONLY wear this novelty helmet in town. Never on the highway. It's another "mental reminder" for me to keep my Busa a reasonable speeds.

I wish you luck in finding a reasonably prices helmet with features you desire.

Last edited:
I use an AGV K3 SV. Chin wind guard, internal visor, weighs less than 3.5 lbs, and cost was $250. They have plenty of graphics to choose from. Internal speaker pockets for bluetooth speakers. Plenty of venting channels. Noise can be moderate but is easily diminished by music. Swing by any Cycle Gesr store and test fit one. I was surprised to see I fit into a medium small.

In case you are wondering about quality, most MotoGP riders use AGV, their helmets are DOT and ECE certified, and AGV is owned by Dainese.

I started riding a little more than 2 years ago, I couldn't believe how expensive protective gear is.

For the most part, I like to support my local shops. I'm a thrifty shopper (wife says I'm cheap; it's true) so most of the time I can't justify spending 25 to 40 % more for a item.

For motorcycle gear, I hasn't found any gear (even on sale) locally that is reasonably prices. So, all my protective gear has been purchased online. I only visit my local gear & motorcycle dealers to get a "hands on feel" and sizing for a product I'm interested in purchasing. It's sad to admit, but true.

In the beginning, I didn't know helmets are so different. Even within a manufacturer, the models vary wildly on quality and feature. Luckily, as I've said, I'm cheap. So my first helmet was in the sub $200 price range, is good quality and great features; including integrated bluetooth.

View attachment 1586102

After buy a '02 Busa, I began to understand "wind noise." Again, luckily, I'm cheap and found a used Shoei RF-1100 for less than $100. This helmet is Snell approved, so it passed inspection at the California Superbike School (CSS) course I attended.

View attachment 1586103

Now (after taking course at CSS), I don't ride too fast on public roads. The "need for speed" has diminished considerably.

View attachment 1586104View attachment 1586105View attachment 1586106

I will ONLY wear is novelty helmet in town. Never on the highway. It's another "mental reminder" for me to keep my Busa a reasonable speeds.

I use an AGV K3 SV. Chin wind guard, internal visor, weighs less than 3.5 lbs, and cost was $250. They have plenty of graphics to choose from. Internal speaker pockets for bluetooth speakers. Plenty of venting channels. Noise can be moderate but is easily diminished by music. Swing by any Cycle Gesr store and test fit one. I was surprised to see I fit into a medium small.

In case you are wondering about quality, most MotoGP riders use AGV, their helmets are DOT and ECE certified, and AGV is owned by Dainese.
Hi. I know helmet $1695.00 gloves $400.00 boots $500.00 leathers $1800.00.

For motorcycle gear, I haven't found any gear (even on sale) locally that is reasonably prices. So, all my protective gear has been purchased online. I only visit my local gear & motorcycle dealers to get a "hands on feel" and sizing for a product I'm interested in purchasing. It's sad to admit, but true.

View attachment 1586102

After buying a '02 Busa, I began to understand "wind noise." Again, luckily, I'm cheap and found a used Shoei RF-1100 for less than $100. This helmet is Snell approved, so it passed inspection at the California Superbike School (CSS) course I attended.

View attachment 1586103

View attachment 1586104View attachment 1586105View attachment 1586106

I will ONLY wear this novelty helmet in town. Never on the highway. It's another "mental reminder" for me to keep my Busa a reasonable speeds.

Is your novelty helmet worthless if you crash?

I love my full carbon AGV Pista , it is so light and streamlined , to me it is worth every $ . This lid is at the top of the safety tree , with the latest tests , good enough in fact for Rossi , but this is all subjective , and not just because the price makes it not to everyone's taste . Just like anything , if you like something and want it , you pay and get it .

The novelty helmet is DOT FMVSS No.218 Certified and ECE 22.05 (European Security Standard)

Though I will only track day in a Snell approved helmet.

I see. Your definition of a novelty helmet is different from mine. In my observation the majority of ‘novelty’ helmets are what most riders would define as toy plastic helmets, mostly worn to fool law enforcement (at a distance) where helmets are required by law to ride. There’s even a ritual for some riders leaving California heading back into Arizona where they toss their cheap novelty helmets into the river as they cross. :confused::laugh: I might add that these riders seldom see speeds over a hundred or they’d realize the necessity of a real helmet.

Haven't seen Big E on here for a while but he always has the latest Arai helmets(new in box)for several hundred dollars less than retail.Might send him a PM and see what he has(I paid $800 retail from Revzilla for my last new Arai Corsair V,then saw where he had it for $500).

Back