for $60 I'll take a shot at it

pure_ego

enzyme of hypoverbage
Donating Member
Registered
if the deal is good.. i can't pass it up.. haha

even if I don't need it.

I've been thinking it's about time for a new helmet lately.. I've got a shoei rf9.. just kinda gettin frayed around the edges.. had it almost 3 yrs now.

came across this one looking at somebody elses post and just bought it.

snell2000/dot approved and all that jazz.

probably wouldn't have bought a resin (IE not fiberglass stuff) helmet had it not been for the article in motorcyclist, and the open letter from the snell organization concerning the findings.. nobody seemed to be in disagreement that the resin helmets were just as good safety wise as any of the other goop.

not sure It will be my primary.. but AGV has a fair reputation, and the price was right.. and doggonit.. i like the way it looks.. haha..

when you have a orange bike don't expect anything to even remotly match.. so just buy whatever makes ya giggle.

the info

AGV Helmets Pacific Full Faced - Gold/Silver Star Graphic Helmet
Lightweight, painted HIR-TH Resin shell construction.
Dynamic Vent System with Two Airflows.
UV Protection, Anti-Scratch Polycarbonate Faceshield.
Sleek Faceshield Rotation Mechanism without Cover Plates for Aerodynamics.
Snell M2000 and DOT approved.
MSRP $149.95 US Your price: $59.99
Free Ground Shipping

the pic & website

http://www.extremesupply.com/agvhelmets/agvhelmetspacific.htm

not overly concerned that it's a 2 yr old design.. so is the helmet I'm wearing now.. haha. Plus after the last track day I've learned that they don't much look at the year of manufacturing.. they look at the snell rating if you've got it.. snell2000 will be good thru 2010 unless they get really picky.. in which case this helmet will be "antiqued" in '07.. can't imagine I won't break down and buy a shoei badge by then anyways.

pacific.jpg

interesting....

didn't the study indicate that the riders who had AGV helemts and went down also had the most concussions?

I like good deals too, but not sure I could at this point. Don't ever want to test it out for any reason though. Keep the rubberside down and enjoy!

I like good deals too, but not sure I could at this point.  Don't ever want to test it out for any reason though.  Keep the rubberside down and enjoy!
thats sorta what I was talking about with the snell2000 stuff..

it passed the same tests my $350 shoei did... a year after the shoei passed.

i'm not totally convinced that motorcyclist isn't on the right track... whether or not anybody will ever admit to it.. is not my call.

according to snell, and the dot.. it's good to go.. who am I to argue? I don't know anything about it.. the only thing "RUMORED" to be better is the european standard.. CE??? something.

I think you guys are overlooking that part of the helmet.

shoei rf900 Snell2000/DOT approved
AGV pacific Snell2000/DOT approved

is the shoei "more" approved than the other?

Even snell admits there is virtually no difference in a snell2000, and a snell2005 so why should I pay the premium for the same thing?

yeah cheap helmet for a cheap head and all that jazz... they have the same safety rating..

the upped price is partly name, and partly ventilation/fit.. I'll just try the helmet and see how that works out. I've never been overly impressed with the Shoei anyways. visor constantly fogs up unless it's 70degrees and up.. it is stable, and has decent ventilation over the top of ya head though.. so we shall see.

I agree with you, but don't mind paying the extra duckets for it. I have an RF900 and an HJC and like 'em both. I have been thinking about another helmet, but have no idea what else I would like to try.

I looked at the Spec R1's (Soumy) and wasn't all that impressed at all.. it's light... but the vents suck.. the visor was a beeeeitch to move up and down.. plus it just felt cheap.. which as you know it definatly is not..

I don't know that I'll be buying any of the big names anymore honestly... I've always felt that the HJC I had before the Shoei dealt with wind much better.. I use ear plugs with the shoei... never needed with the HJC.. was just a quieter helmet .. the Shoei though.. uhg.. If I forget the plugs I'll stop 2 miles down the road and put them in.. just can't stand the roaring.

the real convincer to me was when my brain finally kicked it and I realized they all (mostly) are snell rated, and dot... why am I paying twice the price for the same protection? The graphics aren't worth that much!

we'll see though.. I may be back in a week tryin' to give this helmet away and cleanin the visor on the shoei again.

I don't much wear the HJC anymore just because it's got so many years on it.. never dropped or whatever.. just 5-6 yrs old now. Everytime I do wear it I love the quietness of it.. and the fact that it doesn't fog.

Let us know how it works out....................I've been wanting an extra helmet for the kids, but don't have the bucks to throw around for a "once a month" 20 minute ride!!!
smile.gif

Back