Simpson Helmet and D.O.T.

OB_redelk

Registered
The RX helmet does meet Snell SA 95 standards. I'd suggest going to Snell's website and see what the SA 95 standard is, before I bought one. I can only guess that since it's considered to be a "racing" helmet, Simpson didn't have DOT or ANSI test the helmet.

The way I understand it, the DOT (US Dept. of Transportation) tests aren't very realistic and don't really assure "good protection". I've also heard that the ANSI tests aren't much better (I might be wrong on this).

Snell Labs' standards are higher than DOT's. Some of those "1/2 helmets" worn by the Gold Wing crowd are DOT approved, but are not Snell or ANSI approved. That alone, tells me the DOT standards are crap (compaired to Snell or ANSI).

Lyle's right on the fact that helmets must be DOT approved for use on "public roads". I think that a federal law. I think the odds of getting "popped" on that charge are pretty remote... when it says "SIMPSON" on the helmet.

I have several buddies who wear Simpson Bandits and RX helmets and have had no problems with the cops. Some of them have done their own "personal impact testing" and all of them have performed as good or better than Arias and Shoeis. They just feel a bit heavier to me.

SA helmets are "special application" often are nomex lined. Snell is a higher rating racing wise than DOT. Often the DOT won't pass these helmets due to limited peripheral vision. NHRA rules specify that if you're going 13.99 or faster, you must have a snell 90 or better (95). DOT alone will not pass.

Oops, mistake,

ALL motorcycle riders MUST have a snell rated helmet.

SFI 31.2 = snell SA full face helmet, or
SFI 41.2 = snell M (motorcycle) full face helmet

Here's the real info on DOT sticker on a helmet.The manufactor who makes helmets for sale to the public puts in a request to have their helmet tested by the government NSTA or one of their organization that does the helmet test.The test is done using a standard weight with a pointed end that is raised at a certian height and dropped on the helmet,they might do a couple of helmets from the same lot to get a accurate testing.Any helmet that has cracks or fails the test will not get a certificate number that would allow the maker to sell the helmet for use on the public Highway.DOT does only testing of these helmets and it is minium testing so that a rider can go thur any state without being stop for illegal helmet,that is why alot of the harley riders will buy the bennie helmets. Any helmets that do not pass the test can be still sold to the general public but must have a sticker on it or implyed that it is a novelty helmet.All DOT approved helmet must have a certain thickness of padding and the chin strap must be "D" ring type or better,no snap type allowed.The helmet must also have the date and manufactors information on the inside of the helmet that is on a tab or label sewn or stickered to the inside of the helmet.A lot of good helmet makers have quit making helmets in the USA due to the fact of people getting in a motorcycle accident and blaming it on the Helmet.Sueing a company is one quick way to put them out of bussiness.If you need more information on DOT helmets and issues on Helmet legality go to ABATE web site or governmet NTSA web site and they should have the info on what you're looking for.I have fought three helmet tickets in California and won everyone,but to put it corretly it is better to wear a good helmet than nothing at all.Ride Safe

Thanks for the info fellas. I think the limited peripheral vision is the reason it's not approved and I have no problems looking out of it at the dealership, so I'm going to get it. Maybe I'm weird but I think the Simpson Helmets have an awesome look. Keep in mind that my primary helmet is an Arai Quantum/e though...

the only reason some of the simpsons are not approved is because of the limited vision in some of their helmets, other then that they are one of the best helmets out there, just look at what they use them on - indy cars, top fueler's, anytype of dragbikes, some of the fastest hydro planes and boats in the world, stock cars etc, etc. i used to have the bandit but i now have this years rx8 which i might add is alot lighter than the bandit was.

maniac

[This message has been edited by maniac marshall (edited 21 January 2000).]

I`ve also got a bandit...still think they are one of the coolest looking helmets around...but Aria has them beat hands down... lighter and more comfortable...I`m like 1360 thats what I wear most of the time.

Can somebody tell me what difference it makes if a helmet is D.O.T. Approved or not?
I like the Simpson RX as a second helmet but it's not D.O.T. Approved. Does this mean it will crack up upon impact? Explain.

No DOT approval means it either failed or wasn't tested. In Penna that means it isn't legal to use on the road. Can't race in it either.

With all the good looking DOT/Snell approved helmets around why would you want to use a toy helmet?

Simpson does have DOT helmets for street, and they also sell strickly race helmets, no use getting a DOT approval for a race application.

Those "3/4 helmets" that Goldwingers etc wear, some are Snell approved, usually Fiberglass, like Shoei and HJC. Once you Snell approve a helmet the price always jumps up!

When our manufacture make new helmets and they want to have a price efficent level helmet they make it with snell quality but just don't get it tested, therefore resulting in a lower shelf price.

I believe a manufacture has to send 5 brand new helmets of one new model to the Snell Foundation. 1 stays on file for reference, 1 get the BB gun to the vison test, 1 gets the hot/cold/hot/cold etc test, 1 gets the "head in the helmet" height drop onto a point, and I believe the last one is a chin strap test.

You will notice Shoei NEVER puts a quick-release feature on any of their helmets, incase of safety failure.

Oh, by the way, if you crash and don't want to give up a replica/custom helmet with minor damage (some insurance companies keep your lid when they pay you) you can send it to Shoei for free to get it X-rayed and get a letter of approval that it is safe to hit the highway again! (not pun intended).

If you take a good whack to the helmet, you should replace it. Sending it out for X-ray is highly advisable. If you don't, and you feel it's not too bad, inspect the inner shell. If you see any compression in the Styrofoam liner, toss it. You will have to pull out most of the liner to look closely at it. If there is evidence of compression, the helmet has worked hard to save you, and can not do it again to the same degree. How much is your head worth?

simpson does have five SNELL M 95 and DOT certified helmets. their super street bandit, street shorty(is only DOT), street voyager, street shark and the mx series helmets are all DOT and SNELL M95. www.simpsonraceproducts.com or check out their cataloge.

maniac

[This message has been edited by maniac marshall (edited 23 January 2000).]

With all due respect to Cisco, here is the REAL information on DOT stickers from a guy who deals with auto safety issues for a living (me) and as verified by one of my best friends who is the guy in charge of the helmet standard at the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's (NHTSA's) Chief Counsel's office.

NHTSA, an Agency of DOT, does not certify anything. Under the Motor Vehicle Safety Act, 49 U.S.C. section 30101 et seq., NHTSA is empowered to established federal motor vehicle safety standards (FMVSS's) for all motor vehicles and items of motor vehicle equipment (including motorcycles and motorcycle helmets). See 49 U.S.C. section 30111(a). Manufacturers of such equipment must self-certify to dealers and distributors that their equipment meets applicable FMVSS's at the time of delivery. See Id. at 30115. Manufacturers are prohibited from manufacturing, selling, and importing any motor vehicle or item of motor vehicle equipement that does not conform to the standards. See Id. at 30112(a). NHTSA may occasionally perform tests in order to determine whether motor vehicles or items of motor vehicle equipment are in compliance with the standard and, thus, accurately certified by the manufacturer. If testing demonstrates noncompliance, manufacturers may be liable to NHTSA for federal civil penalties. See Id at 30165. Manufacturers may also be subject to mandatory recall orders. See Id. at 30120.

With regards to motorcycle helmets, NHTSA has established safety standards at FMVSS 218 in the code of federal regulations (see 49 C.F.R. section 571.218). Under FMVSS 218, all motorcycle helmets designed and intended for use on the public roads must meet a series of three tests including: Impact Attenuation Testing where an anthropomorphic dummy head with sensors is placed in the helmet and the helmet is dropped from an established height onto a fixed hemispherical anvil and a fixed flat steel anvil at four different test points; Penetration testing, where a penetration test striker is dropped onto any number of test points on a fixed helmet containing an anthropomorphic dummy head with sensors; and a retention system test where the helmet strap must be able to withstand a static tensile load to the retention assembly of a complete helmet. See Id. at 571.218 S7.

If a manufacturer's testing demonstrates compliance in accordance with the test methods provided in FMVSS 218, the manufacturer may certify the helmet as meeting DOT standards and thus be capable of being manufactured, sold, and/or imported for use on the public roads. Such compliance and certification is evidenced by the DOT sticker.

Snell testing (which I know considerably less about) expands on DOT test requirements and exceeds them in many cases.

State standards may be identical to or more stringent that the federal standards. In no case, however, may the state standards be less than or override federal standards. See 49 U.S.C. section 30103(b) regarding preemption of state laws.

Hope that helps. For the exact wording of the regulations regarding motorcycle helmets, and the Motor Vehicle Safety Act, check out: http://www.findlaw.com/casecode/code2.html.

Jcchen,thanks for straigtening out the facts. I did not have my full information on the DOT and NTSA guidelines at work so I had to go by memory on the last court case that I was involved in San Jose.Your information is correct and to the point.Thanks again for setting the record straight.

GSX1360R,
What's weird about thinking the Simpson Helmets have an awesome look?
Several helmet manufacturers have tried to copy the style in recent years and if it wasn't for the fact that they seem to have been surpassed in safety/quality/comfort/fit by late models Arai (best fits me) and Shoei I might still be lusting after one.
Over 20 years ago I mail-ordered the than original Simpson Bandit in firecracker red with dark screen from a US mail-order company (can't even remember the name) and the attention it got was unbelievable. After I had a light crash with it (still "looked" okay) and also had it fall off the buddy once, I sold it for a still substantial amount of money to a dragracer over here who didn't care about any possible risk. It was stolen from his van a couple of months later during some meet.
If it wasn't for the fact that agression in traffic is becoming a serious problem over here and a helmet like that especially with dark visor invites even more agression and also the cops will be prejudiced towards any biker with a helmet like that, I might still think it over as helmet for special occasions.

I still have a black bandit (simpson) one of the coolest hats I ever had. The Darth Vader look sure has it's plus's. As far as grabbing negative attention, it's how you act, more than how you look. In my case any way...

Back