Coming down from 130+ mph

(Tufbusa @ Oct. 16 2006,05:40) When attending Mike Sullivan's Race School, the first thing he told us was to stay off the rear brake.
Amen to that!

Jump! (just kidding)

Actually, light front brakes. At 140km/h (not mph), I do that human parachute thing. I haven't tried sticking my chest and legs out when it is still going ultra-fast. I tend to keep myself tucked into the gas tank, elbows in, and knees tight to frame to maintain stability and momentum with the bike. Too many forces at work to me if you're doing a peacock stop; and I don't know physics.

I remember always keeping my weight off the front handle bar grips except for turning. Well, if your legs are all spread out and your chest is in the air, and suddenly you loose stability, what are you going to do? You are going to be grabbing those front handle bar grips for dear life doing all kinds of body stretching exercises. Ergo, less than optimum control. That's a no no. If it does that air wheelie, have a nice day.

I'm no expert. Don't listen to me. But if someone knows what they teach at the schools, please inform.

Great question!

SteelHead

(Tufbusa @ Oct. 16 2006,05:40) When braking from any speed in excess of the posted speed, I highly recommend staying completely away from the rear brake. It will give you a bad case of road rash. If you are braking hard with the front, the rear brake does you no good since the weight of the entire bike is transferred to the front. You want the rear tire to remain rolling to keep it behind you. Just touching the rear brake lightly can be disasterous in that situation. I've been there and totally distroyed a 2003 busa. Hauled it home in boxes. I now ride with my toe on the peg so the rear brake is not readily accessable.

When attending Mike Sullivan's Race School, the first thing he told us was to stay off the rear brake. He says most of the crashes from first time school attendee's are from use of the rear brake.
Good info Tufbusa!!

Thank you very much!!

And just FYI... the "air brake" thing (sitting up) works even better for us fat folks.
biggrin.gif

Oh, and I only really use the rear brake for low speed parking lot type maneuvers and to hold the bike on an incline while at a light/stop sign. On *RARE* occasions I'll use the rear on corner entry but I use it *VERY* lightly in that instance.

Large upper Mass comes in handy in those situations. Don't sit up over 140, its just not good. IMO, the Busa does not Engine brake very well so you will actually stop faster with the clutch pulled in. I se the Both brake with equal force method and it has always worked well. It's really a matter of your experience and comfort. if you never use your rears then suddendly hammer down on them in a panic, kiss your bike goodbye. I sit up @ 120 - 140 and apply front brakes gradually then harder as the under 100's come near. once I hit 80 ish I apply the rear with the clutch pulled in. You'll sluff off a lot of speed quickly and safely with a little pratice!

Not that I would classify myself as "experienced" but I have found when coming down from a high speed run, just roll off the throttle and sit up.

You are not talking about emergency stopping, you are just talking about slowing down, right. The bike and wind drag will slow you down rather quickly.

JMHO

Don

What he said.

In a five year old thread do you think he's stopped yet? :rofl:
Heck half of the folks who posted in this I've never seen.
When you think about it 130 ain't really fast for a Busa.
What's that ? 2nd gear maybe bottom of 3rd? Yes relatively speaking 130 is a rapid speed but it is very easily obtained and surpassed on a Busa. Growing up 130 on your Kz1000 was hauling the mail though :laugh:

PaNDeM1C rides again :rofl: btw, he did end up stopping several times...once in a rut in a gravel driveway, once against a rear bumper in CA, and i heard one more low-side in Georgia where he really messed himself up before he finally gave it up...nothing like grabbing the most powerful bike in the world for your first :poke:

I can't believe noone has mentioned the most important thing of it all...Make sure you have a decent front tire that won't lock up on you...I had a Dunlop lock up on me in an emergency and my gixxer ended up being wedged under a pick up truck

I haven't read everyones posts.
I thought about possible situations and possible scenarios so dont flame me for not thinking up every single possible consequence to each specific possible problem train.
I also do not allow for the amount of variables that could be applied to this specific equation and will in fact take the question as a self contained and controlled experiment.

If this question comes from one specific scenario that would allow dry pavement, a straight line, no other non rider interference, no weather concerns, no "god" variables, i would recommend the following.

1: resist the urge to panic
2: decrease throttle position
3: down shift (as necessary)
4: create drag with your physical stature
5: applying breaking pressure (this will always be a a variable)
6: have a general knowledge of how your bike responds to slowing down with great urgency... you should have had this happen at least once before..if not... then i guess you will find out soon enough.

I down shift one, and apply gas so the tire doesn't skip and then roll off the thottle.. Not that I've tried it at 130.. Oh yea I have... the first time I tried 130... But at that speed, I'd start with 6 gear and then 5th.. but that time I was at a resonable speed. I didn't come to an emergency stop.. just the rear end of a car was coming at me a lot quicker than I'd like.. Don't know if it was the best option, but it worked and when I get trigger happy and finish with my fix that's what I do to slow.. (afraid two will take me off the bike)

:laugh: :laugh:

Yeah but, don't use that back brake, even now in 2011 !!

ok, i'll agree. you can never really talk too much about staying off the rear brake.

:beerchug:

it's also important when rapidly comming down from highspeeds to make sure your well planted on the bike with your legs.

LOL, I was just reading along on page one and I was like, "who are these people"? :laugh:

Back