Driving at 150+ mph

race.gif

Over here, speed cameras are rigged to shoot the front license plate of cars. Motorcycle plates are on the rear end.

In my three years here, no issues with cameras. No problems at the tunnel so far (fingers crossed).

Yet another country pull off.

Woops !!!!!
Wrong thread but you can do at least 170 going up this hill.
No tunnel needed.

IMG_0463.JPG

bowdown.gif

Nice photo!  But don't you feel stressed flying 150 mph+on an open country road given all the factors that might suddenly make themselves a road obstacle?

A tunnel acts as a barrier between the outside world and the bike for those highspeed runs.

No,
There are no breaks in the roads for miles on end.
Not even a side dirt road.
As for deer they are my greatest fear.
I always carry deer whistles with me and have been lucky these last 18 years up here.
Knock on wood 3 times for me and pray that the cows don't get loose either.

TimmyDuck,

Nothing like roast beef for supper!  If I saw a cow crossing my path, I'd stop my bike, dismount, kill it, and eat it. Camp fire optional. I would say, "Drive Safe"...but somehow, we all know driving at 170mph+ just wouldn't exactly make sense in that context. So instead, I will say, "May the wind be at your back, and the road obstacles far far away..."

beerchug.gif

I believe there's a time and a place for everything.  Clear roads, no traffic, I'm gonna give 'er.
Road hazards and obstacles are a part of motorcycling.  If you know that and still speed when the opportunity presents itself, then you're probably like me, and just say, "come on baby, let's go", and hope that some critter isn't aroused by the sound of your pipe as the bike hits 11,000 rpms, thinking it's a mating call.

I know the risks, and sh*t does happen.  I don't do crap in traffic, or public areas.

I love the feeling of acceleration produced by my Busa, and have been over 320 KPH...well...on my speedo anyway, I don't have a speedo healer.  I love it.

I'd definately like to hear what it would sound like in a tunnel.

Peace!!
cool.gif

Ran the tunnel again but there were too many cars today to do anything...just 140 km (87 mph) -due to their national holiday and it being 5:30pm. The tunnel is about the height of 1.7X greyhound buses. As for the sound of the Hayabusa in this medium, it sounds almost like a booming roar that howls in high pitch. The muffler notes bounce off the curved walls while the RPMs continually build as the bike speeds down through. The lights attached to the ceiling, lined up one after the other, almost seem to zoom by in rapid pulses. As you're tucked in tight with elbows in, there is this strange thrill of glancing at the instrument panel to see the backlit cluster gauge illuminating in this orange glow. The "needle" (speedometer, that is) drives deep into your mind where you feel this chilling adrenalin rush into each vein and nerve fiber that triggers a mental realization (fear and exhilaration?) of what is taking place.  The vibrations coming from the bike, the intensity of the forward images closing in, and those sounds just don't seem sane, and those few seconds play over and over in your mind for the rest of the day.  

Sensory overload fades, equilibrium is achieved, and you look for that next fix. Addictive.

lurk.gif

I feel'ya Steel...
I am priviledged to live in a situation that keeps me free from prosecution due to a semi-diplomatic status...
So catch me at 290-300km/h all the cop will say is nice bike and slow down..
There is a time and a place... However I don't ever pass one dayriding without going over 260-270...
Tunnels are awesome too especially with my modded pipes. They are louder than a C-5 Galaxy...
Been tooting around a couple of times without my lid on and realized this thing is phuggin loud...

The first time I broke 240ks I had to stop and change my shorts because it felt soooooooo gooooooood!!!
all_coholic.gif

Yeah true Tinmann...
Over here we have water dripping onto the road surface and when conditions are right.... It Freezes...Then a little further along it creates potholes... combine that with poor illumination and you have an effective minefield.
Luckily, the transportation infrastructure upgrade project has been correcting many of these deficiencies.

(CBXRider @ Oct. 06 2006,20:42) I know just the place for that kind of speed about an hour's ride from here.  Beautiful long straights, some with 120-130+mph doglegs and manoman, need I say more?  
eek2.gif

If anyone knows the road I'm talking about please don't mention it here.  If you want to know PM me.
like this? Stretched it up to 150 here. Shooting for 160 next. I'm old..takes me a while.
laugh.gif

wink.gif

101_0175.JPG

Yeah just did 185mph today for the first time.  
super.gif
 No speedo healer so who knows how fast it actually was. I can definately say I won't be doing that again for a while. I got it out of my system while conditions were perfect, no wind, no cars, about 5mile straight. I thought the sleeves of my jacket were going to rip off. Thank god for the double bubble or my head would have flown off too.  
race.gif

1014.jpg

The busa gets to 150 in a flash, heck was passing some cars just the other day and went to pass a few more since the straight a way allowed me too and next thing I know I doing 136 thought I went pass that last car kind of quick.

crazy.gif
 (Me at 150 mph!, glued to gas tank)

coffee.gif
 (Theoretical Me at 185 mph!) Actually, I don't know how it feels to drive that fast, yet.

I'm still basking in the 150mph world.

Congrats!

(steelhead @ Oct. 06 2006,13:08) Finally hit 150mph (240 km/h)  in a mountain tunnel that goes straight for a few miles.

At 240 km/h, you hardly realize in those few seconds of rapid acceleration how fast you're actually going until you gently squeeze the front brakes to slow down, at which point, you are ONLY down to 180 km/h.  And this realization hits, like, "Imagine if something were in front of me?"

And it dawns on you that even at 180 km/h, the danger factor from 180 km/h to 120 km/h IS NOTHING compared to 240 km/h to 180 km/h to 120 km/h. It's like going to a "third notch" when travelling at 240 km/h.

That is to say, if a person errs in identifying a slow car, sharp turn, or road object at this insane third notch, even if they manage to slow down to 180 km/h (from 240 km/h), it will be just too fast to handle, turn, or aggressively brake like they would at 120 km/h (from 180 km/h). Now I understand how some people get killed on the Hayabusa. You don't know how fast 240 km/h is until you see how fast 180 km/h was like. It just doesn't register in your brain in proportional terms how many notches you need to go down before the bike can be sanely controlled.

It may sound obvious, but experiencing that jump to 240 km/h is a whole different world of driving, perception, and control. It ain't just twisting the throttle and going...yeah!!!

A few months ago, a rider (and gf) on a Yamaha R1 was driving about 200 km/h + on the Han bridge in Korea, where they crashed into a car.  The girl's leg was amputated from knee down. I saw the bike and the faces of his riding buddies while passing through...not necessary to describe. It's just so seductively deceptive to drive fast and lose sight of the unforeseen handling characteristics involved at such speeds.

...First Experiences? Experience Tips?...
Don't think so much...the odds are if you pick the right spot...use plenty of good judgement, sprinkle in some common sense....and have your bike in good running condition/good tires you'll never have a prob. There's always the chance something could go wrong....but hey we're bike riders....we do this cause' of the thrill/risk involved.............thats us. Just enjoy the rush
wink.gif
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif
cool.gif

I just hit 170mph last week out in the country here in Tn. I was at 150 so fast that I just kept going this time. I really would like to get to 180 once. This bike is insane.
Steelhead.......... I have been to Korea twice (Camp Greaves 2001/Pusan 1995), I would be more worried about Old Momma San pushing a cart of rice in front of you than another POV, lol. I was there in 02 in the field training when the two girls got ran over by the track. We had so many protest over there after that. No fun getting hit by fruit and rocks, lol.

Back