How old are your tires? What is the real speed rating

FloydV

Donating Member
Registered
This could be useful when shopping for tires. The series of numbers you are looking for starts with DOT (There are several numbers that are not age related).

The following is interesting. The number on my Bridgestone tire is:
160/50 ZR17MC (73W). By the chart below, that would rate it to 168 mph, not 186 mph.

While a Z-speed rating still often appears in the tire size designation of these tires, such as 225/50ZR16 91W, the Z in the size signifies a maximum speed capability in excess of 149 mph, 240 km/h; the W in the service description indicates the tire's 168 mph, 270 km/h maximum speed.
225/50ZR16 in excess of 149 mph, 240 km/h
205/45ZR17 88W 168 mph, 270 km/h
285/35ZR19 99Y 186 mph, 300 km/h

Most recently, when the Y-speed rating indicated in a service description is enclosed in parentheses, such as 285/35ZR19 (99Y), the top speed of the tire has been tested in excess of 186 mph, 300 km/h indicated by the service description as shown below:
285/35ZR19 99Y 186 mph, 300 km/h
285/35ZR19 (99Y) in excess of 186 mph, 300 km/h

Someone chime in if I have this wrong. Does anyone have a tire that has in parentheses a number and the letter Y?

TireAge.jpg

Okay I'll bite what is it can't make out on computer.

Here in NZ we have ancient peat swamps with huge native Kauri logs buried deep.
They are 10's of thousands of years old and very very valuable.
If you look carefully you can see in the pic I posted a long log covered in mud. It's probably 120 feet long and 40 feet wide.
You can see where the dozer has cleared away the mud on either side of the log, leaving the water.
I actually put up that pic in response to Yellow's fishing pic, going one better lol.
It's a cryptic message to Red about dredging up ancient threads :poke:

Last edited:
View attachment 1599870
Here in NZ we have ancient peat swamps with huge native Kauri logs buried deep.
They are 10's of thousands of years old and very very valuable.
If you look carefully you can see in the pic I posted a long log covered in mud. It's probably 120 feet long and 40 feet wide.
You can see where the dozer has cleared away the mud on either side of the log, leaving the water.
I actually put up that pic in response to Yellow's fishing pic, going one better lol.
It's a cryptic message to Red about dredging up ancient threads :poke:
Very nice do they recover & sell like the swamp loggers do even the submerged timber? Sounds like it as you said very valuable

Very nice do they recover & sell like the swamp loggers do even the submerged timber? Sounds like it as you said very valuable
Well... it gets political in the sense that the native tribes of Maori want to lay claim to it all, regardless of who has their name on the land title.
So if the Maori tribe of the locality manage to win it, they keep it here in NZ and make carvings in their traditional ways, some they sell, some they keep and adorn their meeting houses with.
If the land owner (usually white Europeans) claims it and legally possesses it, they usually either sell it in it's raw original state as a log, to the Chinese (or whoever wants to pay what they are asking, megabucks) or mill it and sell the milled timber to made into beautiful tables and furniture etc, at premium prices.

Well... it gets political in the sense that the native tribes of Maori want to lay claim to it all, regardless of who has their name on the land title.
So if the Maori tribe of the locality manage to win it, they keep it here in NZ and make carvings in their traditional ways, some they sell, some they keep and adorn their meeting houses with.
If the land owner (usually white Europeans) claims it and legally possesses it, they usually either sell it in it's raw original state as a log, to the Chinese (or whoever wants to pay what they are asking, megabucks) or mill it and sell the milled timber to made into beautiful tables and furniture etc, at premium prices.
View attachment 1599871

View attachment 1599872

View attachment 1599873
Daam that is VERY.

View attachment 1599871

View attachment 1599872

View attachment 1599873
Beautiful.

The fishing picture is a little game Red and I are playing...every time he resurrects an old thread, he is fishing for someone to reply to it as if the thread is new...

We have fun. Us old retired guys need some entertainment too...

View attachment 1599871

View attachment 1599872

View attachment 1599873
That is absolutely beautiful!

Back