Speed rating matters

ranch41

Registered
I was researching the PP 2CT (rear tire) and noticed that it didn't have a "Z" speed rating like my OE tires. The 2CT's are speed rated "W". I looked the two ratings up and found that "Z" is rated for speeds ABOVE 148 MPH and "W" is rated "not to exceed" 169 MPH. I think those are the speeds or close. My question is for those of us who occasionally exceed 170 MPH, is the PP 2CT's speed rating a concern? Also, does a "Z" rating of above 148 MPH include 180, 190, 200
rock.gif
When I posed this question to the dealership, he said prolong speeds in excess of the rating may cause it to be damaged. What are prolonged speeds and what type of damage?

Thanks for any opinions or assistance in the matter.

prolonged speeds = going over the rating of the tire for a while
tire damage= tire falling to pieces on you

I had asked a similar question when drag racing a car I had. I even asked the owner of the tire shop I worked for...his answer was the same as Somebody1010's... prolonged was for a "undetermined" amount of time, however its "a while". And no, the >148 does not cover 200 etc.. what the exact cut-off is, I'm not sure, but there are tires specifically made for top speed runs, where there is definately a "prolonged" period of time at those speeds!

the pilot powers are for the twisties , when you get up in speeds above 140mph , if you are used to the stock tire they will seam unstable /squirmy. till you get used to the feel , if you like high speed blasts above 170 i d stick with the stock tires
beerchug.gif
but if you are twisties the pp is a great tire !

The service advisor noticed the wear pattern on my OE rear tire and suggested a dual compound tire. I do alot of highway driving with occasional twisties. So the center of my tire has a flat spot on it. During the late 80's when I was commuting between S.F. and Sacramento, CA, I had the same problem and used to run Bridgestone dual compounds, which worked great. Is there a similiar tire for mostly highway that is also decent on the twists?

PP2cts are made for the track and twisties.

The speed rating is of no concern unless you're doing sustained top speed runs.

(Charlesbusa @ Jan. 31 2007,12:02) PP2cts  are made for the track and twisties.

The speed rating is of no concern unless you're doing sustained top speed runs.
EXACTLY!!

There are very few tracks (and twisties) in which you'll actually top 170 MPH. Even if you have an AMA Superbike w/190+RWHP and doing a trackday at Daytona, Miller Motorsports or Road America AND even remotely possess the skill of a Mladin, Spies, Duhamel et.al, YOU WILL NOT EXCEED 200+

So if track and twisties or daily commuting is your thing, I wouldn't worry about the speed rating at all.

GOT IT!! So now I'm back to the OEM, which by the way, is a little expensive. I was looking for a little less expensive tire with a "Z" rating, decent sidewall traction, more milage, and more affordable. Any suggestions?

And yes my life/health/safety is worth the extra cost, but can't help to get as much for my $ as possible.

I think i am going to try out the new Avon Storm st.
I run Avon azaro st now
wink.gif

Avon Announces New Storm ST Motorcycle Tire

Avon Tyres has announced the Storm ST, a new sport-touring tire range, designed to replace its highly popular Azaro-ST product.

the Storm ST has already been tested and approved for fitment to all major motorcycles in conjunction with the well-respected German TUV agency.

The Storm ST has been launched (Fall 2006) and it's available in 15 sizes:

Front Tire AV55: 110/70ZR17, 110/80ZR18, 120/60ZR17, 120/70ZR17, 120/70ZR18, 130/70ZR17

Rear Tire AV56: 150/70ZR17, 150/70ZR18, 160/60ZR17, 160/70ZR17, 160/60ZR18, 170/60ZR17, 180/55ZR17, 190/50ZR17, 200/50ZR17.

The Storm ST is the first tire to include Avon’s new "Reactive Footprint" technology. This technology marries Avon’s unique variable belt density carcass with Lifetime Profile Engineering to produce a footprint which changes size and shape, depending on the bike’s lean angle, for the full life of the tire.

The result is a contact patch that grows as the bike leans, giving more grip in corners while minimizing wear rates when traveling in a straight line.

This technological breakthrough could eliminate the need to use dual compounds and would help solve the uneven wear problems associated with them. Pete McNally, Avon’s Motorcycle Product Manager explained, “These new technologies combine to make a tire that doesn’t just handle well when new but also in the last 25% of its life.â€

He continued, “With Storm ST it’s not just the compound that’s harder in the center and softer at the edges, it’s the whole tire. We believe we are the first manufacturer to produce a reactive footprint tire for motorcycles.â€

In addition to Reactive Footprint technology and Lifetime Profile Engineering, the Storm ST is bristling with an impressive array of advanced features, including a new Super-Rich Silica compound delivers sure-footed grip in both wet and dry conditions and allows the tire to quickly warm up to reach optimum working temperatures.

"Inverted Front Grooves" on the front tire, a system pioneered by Avon in the late eighties and only now being adopted by the competition, resists "stepped-wear" and cupping to deliver smooth handling throughout the life of the tire. A further advantage of the Inverted Front Groove configuration is improved wet braking and shorter stopping distances.

The Storm ST rear benefits from Avon’s Enhanced Aqua Flow pattern, first used in sportbike tires, which rapidly clears away surface water to further increase confidence in the wet.

Also developed for sportbike tires and now built into Storm ST is Avon’s Advanced Tread Arc Combination profile, which varies the tread profile across the tire for the ultimate in handling and stability, whatever the lean angle. The ATAC profile results in neutral contours, ensuring smoother transition on lean angle changes, and noticeably increases stability, especially under heavy braking

Finally, all components are fine-tuned by Avon’s Enhanced Stability System to deliver a tire in which the carcass, sidewalls and tread pattern work together to reduce localized flexing within the tire structure to optimize grip, durability and warm-up capabilities.

avon_storm_st.jpg

Back