What speed rating is on your tires?

FloydV

Donating Member
Registered
My apologies for a double post. I thought I was on a different web site (duh).

My Bridgestones are marked 190/50ZR17M/C (73W). That would make them good up to 168 mph, not 186 mph. Please correct if this is wrong.

This is from the website: Tire Tech Information - How to Read Speed Rating, Load Index & Service Descriptions

While a Z-speed rating still often appears in the tire size designation of these tires, such as 225/50ZR16 91W, the Z in the size signifies a maximum speed capability in excess of 149 mph, 240 km/h; the W in the service description indicates the tire's 168 mph, 270 km/h maximum speed.
225/50ZR16 in excess of 149 mph, 240 km/h
205/45ZR17 88W 168 mph, 270 km/h
285/35ZR19 99Y 186 mph, 300 km/h

Most recently, when the Y-speed rating indicated in a service description is enclosed in parentheses, such as 285/35ZR19 (99Y), the top speed of the tire has been tested in excess of 186 mph, 300 km/h indicated by the service description as shown below:
285/35ZR19 99Y 186 mph, 300 km/h
285/35ZR19 (99Y) in excess of 186 mph, 300 km/h

As vehicles have increased their top speeds into Autobahn-only ranges, the tire speed ratings have evolved to better identify the tires capability, allowing drivers to match the speed of their tires with the top speed of their vehicle.

Does anyone have tires with a number and the letter Y in parentheses?

Dweezel

Registered
I know all the Shinko's I've seen (they may make Z rated, not sure) are rated 'W' I believe. I'm running a 003 on mine and I'm really happy with it, but if I was going to push the 160+ mile marker I'd definately invest in the safety of a Z rated tire.

Blazing-Saddle

"Kowalski"
Donating Member
Registered
I know all the Shinko's I've seen (they may make Z rated, not sure) are rated 'W' I believe. I'm running a 003 on mine and I'm really happy with it, but if I was going to push the 160+ mile marker I'd definately invest in the safety of a Z rated tire.

I have Shinko 005s on both ends of my ride and they are are rated Z but also have the W for the 168MPH rating.

Rear tire: 200/50ZR17 M/C 75W Further around the tire is this: Max Speed 270 KM/H (168MPH) Same goes for the front tire as far as speed ratings go.

dewie

Registered
I've topped out with my shinko 003, over 300k what ever that is in MPH.. And I'm still here to talk about it.

WWJD

Donating Member
Registered
I've run many Z rated tires to the 185 mark with no trouble. Granted I am not STAYING up there for long thanks to running out of road. So I would not recommend extended high speed runs on Z, but there is not much selection out there as far as speed ratings for cycle tires

jwcfbd

Administrator
Registered
120mph ::11 The dealership put on the wrong tire and I found out on the way to work on the highway. They replaced my fender, gave me my money back, bought me the right tire and paid another shop to install it for me. :cheerleader:

HPIM0289 (Medium).JPG

HPIM0288a.jpg

FloydV

Donating Member
Registered
There are no Y rated D.O.T Motorcycle tires,trust me I know.
I believe you. I called Michelin and Pirelli. No Y rating and no 186 mph rating.
So what do racers use? It seems odd that a manufacturer would put 168 ceiling tires on a bike that can easily break 185.

FloydV

Donating Member
Registered
120mph ::11 The dealership put on the wrong tire and I found out on the way to work on the highway. They replaced my fender, gave me my money back, bought me the right tire and paid another shop to install it for me. :cheerleader:
Wow! And people wonder why no one trusts dealerships. You have to wonder what else they got wrong that just hasn't fallen off yet.

HillbillyTom

Donating Member
Registered
Z rating on my Michelins. I always read that the "Z" rating was for a "sustained" 149mph, but safe for short trips into the twilight zone above 149mph.
So far I havn't had a chance and enough clear road to try the theory out, but that's the way I understand it.

Gixx1300R

Registered
I believe you. I called Michelin and Pirelli. No Y rating and no 186 mph rating.
So what do racers use? It seems odd that a manufacturer would put 168 ceiling tires on a bike that can easily break 185.
There are tricks that can be doe to a tire to make it live at 250 mph. I use a hard compound to the tire stays cooler longer. Shaving rubber off of the center also helps.

FloydV

Donating Member
Registered
Z rating on my Michelins. I always read that the "Z" rating was for a "sustained" 149mph, but safe for short trips into the twilight zone above 149mph.
So far I havn't had a chance and enough clear road to try the theory out, but that's the way I understand it.
I've made quite a few trips into the twilight zone (180), but I didn't realize that the tires were Z (xxW) good to 168 and not Z(xxY) good to 186. I think the reason is that there are so few bikes that can hit that speed. Manufacturers don't see a profit in it.

Still, people who race here and abroad must use different tires. Where do they get them?

Busa1166

Donating Member
Registered
::11 Sounds like they did everything they could make things right for the wrong they did.

but:wtf: were they smoking when they were working on your bike.

Gixx1300R

Registered
Running Z rated tires up to 200 mph is fine. It is when you approad speed in excess of 230mph and up is when it gets scary.

Picture400.jpg

Picture401.jpg

jwcfbd

Administrator
Registered
::11 Sounds like they did everything they could make things right for the wrong they did.

but:wtf: were they smoking when they were working on your bike.
That was the same thing I was thinking. They never saw my bike again after that one.

CTA_Busa_LE

Donating Member
Registered
not sure I want to know the story behind those pics, looks like a bit of a tense and rough ride back down to 0 for sure.

turbobusa2000

Registered
Do you guys remember the video recentlyof the bike that Dave Owen (RIP) built, I think it went 253 at maxton. Dave wasn't driving and I can't remember the name of the guy who did. Anyway, I remeber him saying what was done to the bike and I believe he said he was just running Michelin street tires. Can anyone confirm that. I know the vid is on here but I'm working so I cant view it. If that guy can go that fast on a Michelin street tire, I think will be ok doing 200 on a Z rated tire.

Gixx1300R

Registered
Do you guys remember the video recentlyof the bike that Dave Owen (RIP) built, I think it went 253 at maxton. Dave wasn't driving and I can't remember the name of the guy who did. Anyway, I remeber him saying what was done to the bike and I believe he said he was just running Michelin street tires. Can anyone confirm that. I know the vid is on here but I'm working so I cant view it. If that guy can go that fast on a Michelin street tire, I think will be ok doing 200 on a Z rated tire.
Yes that is correct. Guys there is nothing to worry about with you tires.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F How old are your tires? What is the real speed rating General Bike Related Topics 14
Ham Tire Speed Rating?? Gen II Busa Information 6
gunsavy tire speed rating Tires 9
jetsetter Pilot Power speed rating? General Bike Related Topics 7
R Speed rating matters Turbo 5
R Speed rating matters General Bike Related Topics 8
R Slow speed!? New Owners Forum 13
B Hayabusa 2008 gen2 speed problem Busa problems 20
04LE Kawasaki EV bike with 4 speed manual General Bike Related Topics 3
J Low rpm power loss & top speed way down Busa problems 44
J Does the clutch switch affect the speed/rpm's on a Gen II New Owners Forum 12
Blacksmith New A☆ supertechs and high speed vibrations Gen II Busa Information 5
D Boost vs. speed boost controller Turbo 17
B Gen1 - Control Unit, ECU 16 bit / 32 bit - speed restriction - flashing Engine and Performance mods 16
J Top Speed For A Givi Top Box Gen II Busa Information 34
hayabuser Up To Speed General Bike Related Topics 3
Dopey Speed correction General Bike Related Topics 10
captain What is your Internet Speed? Random Thoughts 30
B Powder coat speed ring? Gen II Busa Information 6
Blacksmith Ebay speed hump? Gen II Busa Information 20
Blacksmith Why are all speed ignored suddenly 75 mph?! New Owners Forum 17
jellyrug The EU and speed governing General Bike Related Topics 4
kml HORRIFIC high speed motorcycle crash NSFW General Bike Related Topics 21
c10 Stock H2 SXE TOP SPEED General Bike Related Topics 5
Turbo Bob Will the RCC intercooler set up allow high speed distance riding? Turbo 7
AndyB Motorcycles Suzuki Ends Production Of The Legendary Hayabusa After 20 Years Of High Speed Dominance Gen II Busa Information 33
J Chasing speed on sand.... Engine and Performance mods 14
mabupa 5 speed hayabusa for sale.!!!!!!!!!! General Bike Related Topics 12
BravoZulu1 Gearing and Speed at 11,000 RPM General Bike Related Topics 16
N Speed sensor? Busa problems 9
WuzzaCBXRider BadAzz 18 Speed We Need Some Humor 0
captain Site speed Finally got there Random Thoughts 2
quicky How much octane for high speed run Turbo 3
Quart Speed rotor went poof Busa problems 4
Mark61 After 10k Miles, Still Struggling With Low Speed Maneuvers; Please Help! New Owners Forum 72
B Speed Issue Gen 1 General Bike Related Topics 10
Manxbusa Top Speed Standing Mile Uk Top Speed 32
B Hayabusa Pcv Pit Speed Limiter How To And Demo Videos 0
T Idle Speed Control Valve Question Turbo 31
RedBull Warp Speed Engaged ! Videos 35
Tb3 Anybody Use A Speedo App On Their Phone For Speed? The Playground 21
c10 Low Speed Hayabusa Maneuvers General Bike Related Topics 8
Machete81 Specs On Idle Speed.? All Motor 7
Ham Digital Speed Sensor Gen II Busa Information 0
S K7 Busa Splutters Bad On Idle And Surges At Constant Speed Busa problems 3
T Top Speed By Bhp ? Any Ideas Turbo 15
B Why you shouldnt speed at night!! General Bike Related Topics 30
C Top speed 242 Top Speed 4
G Bonnieville Speed Trials Top Speed 10
Mythos What will happen when I hit top speed limiter? Gen II Busa Information 35