Driving at 150+ mph

steelhead

Registered
Finally hit 150mph (240 km/h)  in a mountain tunnel that goes straight for a few miles.

At 240 km/h, you hardly realize in those few seconds of rapid acceleration how fast you're actually going until you gently squeeze the front brakes to slow down, at which point, you are ONLY down to 180 km/h.  And this realization hits, like, "Imagine if something were in front of me?"

And it dawns on you that even at 180 km/h, the danger factor from 180 km/h to 120 km/h IS NOTHING compared to 240 km/h to 180 km/h to 120 km/h. It's like going to a "third notch" when travelling at 240 km/h.

That is to say, if a person errs in identifying a slow car, sharp turn, or road object at this insane third notch, even if they manage to slow down to 180 km/h (from 240 km/h), it will be just too fast to handle, turn, or aggressively brake like they would at 120 km/h (from 180 km/h). Now I understand how some people get killed on the Hayabusa. You don't know how fast 240 km/h is until you see how fast 180 km/h was like. It just doesn't register in your brain in proportional terms how many notches you need to go down before the bike can be sanely controlled.

It may sound obvious, but experiencing that jump to 240 km/h is a whole different world of driving, perception, and control. It ain't just twisting the throttle and going...yeah!!!

A few months ago, a rider (and gf) on a Yamaha R1 was driving about 200 km/h + on the Han bridge in Korea, where they crashed into a car.  The girl's leg was amputated from knee down. I saw the bike and the faces of his riding buddies while passing through...not necessary to describe. It's just so seductively deceptive to drive fast and lose sight of the unforeseen handling characteristics involved at such speeds.

...First Experiences? Experience Tips?...

SHOCKED.gif

never had the training wheels off...personally.
my radio-flyer has all the golly-gee-gettup and go that any boy could ever ask for!

In A Tunnel  
wow.gif
 Geezzzzzzz, I would be like  
SHOCKED.gif
 with some Angles saying
post-52-02136-welcome.gif

(DaCol. @ Oct. 06 2006,13:30) In A Tunnel  
wow.gif
SHOCKED.gif
 with some Angles saying
haven't done that in a tunnel, but on open road it's smooth. your right anything can happen at that speed

The motorway tunnel was perfect. Brand new motorway/highway. One direction only, two wide lanes, lit very brightly with these flourscent light beams, no cross winds, clear clean asphalt road. Very futuristic.

firedevil.gif

Sounds like the perfect place to try it out, other than a track. Things go by at warp speed when you are up around that speed. Have fun!
beerchug.gif

The tunnel sounds really cool. Tell us what it is like when you hit 200mph too!

(DaCol. @ Oct. 06 2006,15:30) In A Tunnel
wow.gif
SHOCKED.gif
with some Angles saying
Can you just IMAGINE losing it at that speed, you would be like a pinball bouncing around in that tunnel for the next 30 seconds or so!!
SHOCKED.gif
SHOCKED.gif
bluegrab.gif

SHOCKED.gif

SHOCKED.gif

Been there a couple time now myself. It's truley an adreanaline rush. Just stay as careful as you can.

I know just the place for that kind of speed about an hour's ride from here. Beautiful long straights, some with 120-130+mph doglegs and manoman, need I say more?
eek2.gif

If anyone knows the road I'm talking about please don't mention it here. If you want to know PM me.

You should try stopping a 600lbs snow machine on mountain or lake ice from 120 MPH or so.....
Makes the Busa's brakes seem almost perfect.

Directions:

Highway 46 Motorway Korea (from Seoul Road 47 North) to Chuncheon. 3rd Tunnel after passing Masok (Namyanju district).

I didn't think anyone would be interested in its location since I'm writing from Korea. Avoid driving fast in the first two tunnels until you reach this third tunnel. The other two tunnels are too curvy.

This one-way tunnel is huge, flat, straight, long, and clean.  It is new, so there are no faults or cracks in the road. No merging points or surprise entry points. It is two car lanes wide, but in reality, about three wide built as two lanes.  Its arch is very tall, about three GreyHound Buses (from memory...could be two). It has these huge lights and it is ventilated from front to rear by these huge overhanging industrial fans. There are many flourescent lights (beams) that illuminate the surface of the tunnel.

When you hit this tunnel, it feels like a private testing speed chamber.

Since this is a tunnel with its own lighting, you can venture out in the early morning hours of 2am - 5am and it is completely yours. It is a motorway located outside of Seoul in the country side to link up the city to "Chuncheon".

Back