Beware of taking the motorcycle road test on your Hayabusa, it was real bad!

chawkins2001

Registered
I had to take the written and road test again as mine had expired years ago when I was not riding.

I will say this, I highly recommend don't take the road course test on your Hayabusa here in GA. It was a nightmare as you have to weave in and out of cones that are very tightly spaced. The next major issue is they want you to get up to speed and pull a real tight u turn.
I felt like a beginner on that course, had to put my foot down 3 times to prevent the bike from laying down as you had to go super slow to navigate the course.

At the end of the test, I told the instructor that test by no means tests your skills in the real world. I don't know what the are trying to test as a matter of fact.
My piece of advice is take the lightest bike you can find with a very good tight turn radius.

Craig

I had to take the written and road test again as mine had expired years ago when I was not riding.

I will say this, I highly recommend don't take the road course test on your Hayabusa here in GA. It was a nightmare as you have to weave in and out of cones that are very tightly spaced. The next major issue is they want you to get up to speed and pull a real tight u turn.
I felt like a beginner on that course, had to put my foot down 3 times to prevent the bike from laying down as you had to go super slow to navigate the course.

At the end of the test, I told the instructor that test by no means tests your skills in the real world. I don't know what the are trying to test as a matter of fact.
My piece of advice is take the lightest bike you can find with a very good tight turn radius.

Craig
I did my GA test on a CBR600 and had the same problems. GA is set up to fail riders plain and simple. Their road course is setup on someone hitting a button to tell you what move to make. If they are slow to react then you have less time to react. I spent a lot of time in open parking lots making hard turns within a parking spot to practice and finally went back to test again. The new test administer asked who the last guy was and after telling them I was told not to worry I would pass this time. The last guy didn't like sport bike and that most of riders fail his test.

when i first got mine years ago my first attempt was on a 1991 ninja 600r. That was a tank. I tried three times to pass the test. In Iowa at the time the u turn was a pass fail. If you couldn't get the u turn you failed. They eventually changed to a point system i think now. So anyway on the last time, I told the instructor my bike will not make a u turn. No amount of dip and tug will pull it off in that small of space. I asked her so as long as I don't put feet down and i stay in the cones I pass right? She said yes it states maintain control do not put feet down. So i passed everything else, when I got to the u turn I started smoking the tire off and gentle spun the bike around :) The instructors jaw dropped. She argued at first about maintaining control, I said I was never out of control and the rules said nothing about sliding the bike around to make the turn. She did pass me lol.

I learned after that if i had driven to the north about 30 miles to a small town dmv, they just put a helmet mic on ya and follow you around on the bike and make sure your safe.

It’s been ages but all the test I took involved was a figure eight and riding in a circle w/o touching either white lines painting the circle, about 18” wide. Choppers and extended swingarm riders would fail no matter what.

Did my test on a Kawasaki 250 S1....I wrote the test in the morning and did the riding test in the late afternoon....I had to ride around a pre-designated route near the testing site...my dad (who was an ambulance attendant) stopped by with his partner and ambulance to watch me, the instructor got a real kick out of that...he told my dad I must be pretty bad when I need an ambulance to stand by.

I had the same instructor when I got my car license...

I took my test 49 years ago…. Don’t remember what the bike was that I used, either a Honda 50 step thru or a Mach 3 Kawa… it was a case of a cop on a bike following me around the block.
It was easy coz I’d been riding dirt bikes for a year before the license test lol.

I went through the little weekend riding school thing and when instructor asked who had experience, I didn’t say anything. We all jumped on these little bikes and started doing the different exercises and he came to me and said: “I think you do have riding experience and are not being honest with me”. :laugh: I told him I spent a lot time on a little Honda cub 50, some small scooters and had some experience on Yamaha DT125, but no experience on bigger bikes so I felt my previous riding experience wasn’t even relevant. I passed the riding test with flying colors and the written one was completed as a group. That was 13 years or so ago and I didn’t even own the busa, but I sure would’ve hated to try doing that tight figure 8 on it.

I taught riding courses for a while and some of the people who showed up had no business even sitting on a motorcycle...

One lady in her late '40s showed up and honestly she was not teachable....I even had an instructor basically teaching only her and the instructor was losing her mind...

At lunch time on day 2, her husband and I had a chat, I told as much as we wanted her to be able to pass, there was no way I could pass her in good conscious because she was just not cut out to ride a motorcycle. I told him that if he himself can get her to know and understand the basics on his own, she could come back and re-take the course free of charge. He said he tried, that's why she was on the course...he had hoped we could teach her....the sad part is he had already bought her an 883 Sportster...

On other courses I taught sometimes there'd be a smartarse in the course who said even us instructors can't do the course, so me being me, I jumped on my 1200 Bandit and ran through the course we had set up at mach speed which shut them up....I actually saw them try harder after that so at the start of each serial of the course, I'd rip through it on my Bandit first just to show them it could be done.

I taught riding courses for a while and some of the people who showed up had no business even sitting on a motorcycle...

One lady in her late '40s showed up and honestly she was not teachable....I even had an instructor basically teaching only her and the instructor was losing her mind...

At lunch time on day 2, her husband and I had a chat, I told as much as we wanted her to be able to pass, there was no way I could pass her in good conscious because she was just not cut out to ride a motorcycle. I told him that if he himself can get her to know and understand the basics on his own, she could come back and re-take the course free of charge. He said he tried, that's why she was on the course...he had hoped we could teach her....the sad part is he had already bought her an 883 Sportster...

On other courses I taught sometimes there'd be a smartarse in the course who said even us instructors can't do the course, so me being me, I jumped on my 1200 Bandit and ran through the course we had set up at mach speed which shut them up....I actually saw them try harder after that so at the start of each serial of the course, I'd rip through it on my Bandit first just to show them it could be done.
You were better than the instructors I had. We had a lady just like that. She said her husband was tired of her riding on the back and had purchased a bike for her to ride on her own. On one of the runs she almost ran over the instructor and got yelled at so she broke down crying. To the rest of the group’s surprise, she “passed” and was told to practice a lot before getting on any main rodes. I was in shock and have always wondered if she is still alive.

You were better than the instructors I had. We had a lady just like that. She said her husband was tired of her riding on the back and had purchased a bike for her to ride on her own. On one of the runs she almost ran over the instructor and got yelled at so she broke down crying. To the rest of the group’s surprise, she “passed” and was told to practice a lot before getting on any main rodes. I was in shock and have always wondered if she is still alive.
I failed a few over the years....

One guy I kicked off the course as he was a wannabe superbike racer....always trying to wheelie the training bikes and doing stupid stuff like that...on top of it all, he acted like he knew everything about everything...always arguing with the other instructors.

When he complained to the college that I kicked him off, they said they had affidavits from the 20 other students praising my patience..

Surprise, surprise, this guy showed up for special forces selection...as soon as he saw me at the selection board, he knew his chances were next to nil.......and they were....

I failed a few over the years....

One guy I kicked off the course as he was a wannabe superbike racer....always trying to wheelie the training bikes and doing stupid stuff like that...on top of it all, he acted like he knew everything about everything...always arguing with the other instructors.

When he complained to the college that I kicked him off, they said they had affidavits from the 20 other students praising my patience..

Surprise, surprise, this guy showed up for special forces selection...as soon as he saw me at the selection board, he knew his chances were next to nil.......and they were....
I hate those obnoxious people and I wish I would’ve been a fly on the wall when he showed up.

Back