Most common motorcycle accident

Good points made by all. Motorcycle riding is 50% reaction and 50% presumption. We have to ride for ourselves as well as the cagers. We have to be ahead of the game at ALL times. It's a sad situation, but it's true.

Brian

Glad you came out OK, could have been worse as we all know.

Revlis you bet me to it. The 4 finger approach is much outdated. It is just to easy to overpower the calipers with a fist full of brake. I am so paranoid (after my crash last year) that I am always under the assumption that everyone is trying to kill me.

Situational awareness whether on the road or in a dark alley should always be in the forefront. You would be amazed at some of the idiotic acts people perform when you have your eyes open.

I tend to flash the headlight at all occupied intersections. I have had no problem (knock on wood) with people assuming I'm telling them to go ahead. Swerving also attracts attention which is a good thing. I also cover the front brake pretty much all the time. Though others have different teachings regarding this.

Chris

Thanks for sharing that story Cloud!!!  

My personal story:   The first Sport bike I was gonna get was going to gained by trading a Baja Bug for it plus some cash.  One week from making the deal final, I was watching TV one night and saw my soon to be aquired "Rocket" splashed across the pavement.  My buddie's helmet was busted in two, and he ended up with lots of metal holding his bones together.  Needless to say, my wife wasn't too crazy about me getting one after that!!  His accident was the same...............lady pulled out and didn't see him.  

It took years for my wife to forget that accident and be talked into letting me ride again with her blessing!!!!!

I agree with Rev.......................I don't flash my brights anymore...........I just hit the brights and hold it......just to help them see me. (a nice addition to the '04 and '05 models.......the extra finger switch for brights!!!)

Glad you're safe and sound Cloud.  Way to recover from a situation that could have been fatal!!!!

Stay safe y'all.    
smile.gif

Scott

<!--EDIT|scottybusa
Reason for Edit: "clarification"|1096054159 -->

What Revlis said!!!!!!!!!!! applies....don't flash your high beam..turn it on just before the danger zone and wag abit to catch ther attention.....dirty looks is a good thing from a cager...Yep i ride like i am invisble..1969 to present..Guardian Angle and lot's of luck to have made it this far in riding two wheelers...Busa rocks..be safe gang--never let your guard down...

Four fingers on the brake fellas...  Two fingers is for on the race track.  The only reason to use two fingers is to maintain throttle for blipping between downshifts.

Sorry for the soap box, but I am an MSF instructor now...

( :

That was a good lesson learned and walked away from...  Way to keep your cool and immediately let off front to stop skid.  Acting like a practiced rider will save your skin many times!

Be careful out there you clowns!

-Rip
WRONG WRONG WRONG, I veto! I disagree, Bad Idea...  WRONG, OUtdated OLD SCHOOL IDEA...

Here's why, If you have four fingers covering that front your going to screw yourself in a true panic stop.  You reflexively grab for the front with two fingers your chances of locking that front before it is properly loaded are minimal.  With the strength of modern Disc brakes you never need four fingers anyway, it's an outmoded concept having four fingers on your brake.  What for?  It doesn't give you better feel, it just makes it more difficult to modulate, especially in a "Panic" emergancy stop.  I can lock the front or stoppie, even the Busa with just two fingers why use more? ..... 

I understand the idea of using front and rear brakes together, though I still think it's of little value on a sportbike, but this whole four finger Clutch, four finger brake chant is dookie!

MSF wrote those guidlines a LOOONG time ago, when brakes we're much crappier and most folks were riding standards or cruiser type bikes.  Last time I was on a Harley you bet I had four fingers on the front cause it took four to get any stopping done.  Not the case with a modern sport bike...  Not at all..  MSF needs to catch up a little or create a seperate set of training materials for "Sport Bikes Only", with some slightly less dated concepts...
Right on! Two fingers R the way to go cuz also U can brake & then accelarate quicker for those truely "special moments" dealing w/ idiot caggers. I'll try to find the auther of the current book I've been reading. Take care out there!

I agree with Pacemaker...I mean Pacemaster... I also ride like I am invisible... Makes the lanesplitting here a lot less spooky.

I've had that happen MANY times over the years...but I ALWAYS slow wayyy down coming to any intersection...especially those types, so I've always been more than ready and just look at them like the idiots they are. As some others have mentioned if your not prepared ahead of time for cagers to do the least expected thing....sooner or later they WILL get you...be careful and stay safe
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Since you're telling us about it, it's all good, the way you ended up.

I ride a total of SIX miles each way to and from work about three days a week.

Only SIX. And I get pulled out in front of or cut off at LEAST once every day. Many days, four or five times. It's almost a matter of course that someone is going to do it to me. They never see me and it REALLY pisses me off every time.

I'll probably never die of an accident with one of these pricks but an apoplexy may take me out!

--Wag--

Something that I did............................by accident..........................is I adjusted my headlight and brights........too high!!!

Now I can see everything at night................and because of the setup, my light seems twice as bright during the day......................unfortunately If I happen to be riding at night I seem to constantly be getting flashed by cars.(doesn't bother me, though)

I'll probably change it back, but it is kind of nice to be seen.............even in the daylight.................from a distance.
wink.gif

Four fingers on the brake fellas...  Two fingers is for on the race track.  The only reason to use two fingers is to maintain throttle for blipping between downshifts.

Sorry for the soap box, but I am an MSF instructor now...

( :

That was a good lesson learned and walked away from...  Way to keep your cool and immediately let off front to stop skid.  Acting like a practiced rider will save your skin many times!

Be careful out there you clowns!

-Rip
WRONG WRONG WRONG, I veto! I disagree, Bad Idea...  WRONG, OUtdated OLD SCHOOL IDEA...

Here's why, If you have four fingers covering that front your going to screw yourself in a true panic stop.  You reflexively grab for the front with two fingers your chances of locking that front before it is properly loaded are minimal.  With the strength of modern Disc brakes you never need four fingers anyway, it's an outmoded concept having four fingers on your brake.  What for?  It doesn't give you better feel, it just makes it more difficult to modulate, especially in a "Panic" emergancy stop.  I can lock the front or stoppie, even the Busa with just two fingers why use more?  

I understand the idea of using front and rear brakes together, though I still think it's of little value on a sportbike, but this whole four finger Clutch, four finger brake chant is dookie!

MSF wrote those guidlines a LOOONG time ago, when brakes we're much crappier and most folks were riding standards or cruiser type bikes.  Last time I was on a Harley you bet I had four fingers on the front cause it took four to get any stopping done.  Not the case with a modern sport bike...  Not at all..  MSF needs to catch up a little or create a seperate set of training materials for "Sport Bikes Only", with some slightly less dated concepts...
SilveR,

Everyone is entitled to their opinion...

For some unknown reason... Some of us are able to use four fingers and still manage to be alive... Go figure. I guess we are just LUCKY.

BTW - don't hold back your feelings bobo! Tell me what you really mean.

( ;

Sheesh... Last time I chime in with MSF banter.

( :

-Rip

Glad to hear your ok and that you had the opportunity to share this tid bit with everyone.... Be carefull out there its a jungle!

QUOTE:
For some unknown reason...  Some of us are able to use four fingers and still manage to be alive...  Go figure.  I guess we are just LUCKY.

BTW - don't hold back your feelings bobo!  Tell me what you really mean.

( ;

Sheesh...  Last time I chime in with MSF banter.

( :

-Rip[/quote]
I think U R way outta line w/ that name calling bro, really I’m surprised. This is NOT banter, it’s a part of this thread on braking methods & saving your ASSets, an issue worthy of debate. U want your old school braking methods, so be it.  To others, I highly recommend reading this book by Nick Ienatsch titled;  

“Sport Riding Techniques: How To Develop Real World Skills for Speed, Safety, and Confidence on the Street and Trackâ€￾ Then YOU decide how U wanna ride.

http://www.amazon.com/exec....8451228

<!--EDIT|AZTECWARRIOR
Reason for Edit: None given...|1097672253 -->

yeah' if he has got the fronts to lock up with two fingers i cant see why he would require more in that situation.

i also feel when i use all fours my palm/wrist movements are restricted on the grip.

<!--EDIT|arun
Reason for Edit: None given...|1097730248 -->

I always assume the worst especially here in Los Angeles traffic, people are just bad drivers(except for a handfull). How do they obtain their drivers license? Oh well, ride safe everyone! Glad you made it Cloud9!

QUOTE:
For some unknown reason...  Some of us are able to use four fingers and still manage to be alive...  Go figure.  I guess we are just LUCKY.

( ;

( :

-Rip
I think U R way outta line w/ that name calling bro, really I’m surprised. This is NOT banter, it’s a part of this thread on braking methods & saving your ASSets, an issue worthy of debate. U want your old school braking methods, so be it.  To others, I highly recommend reading this book by Nick Ienatsch titled;  

“Sport Riding Techniques: How To Develop Real World Skills for Speed, Safety, and Confidence on the Street and Trackâ€￾ Then YOU decide how U wanna ride.

http://www.amazon.com/exec....8451228[/QUOTE]
Been there... Read it.

BTW - my panties aren't in a bunch... I was just razzin' my good buddy Rev. I guess you had'ta be there.

Anyway, I say ride how you are comfortable. Not the way a road racer thinks you should.

Nick is a cool guy and has lots of talent, but he doesn't hold a candle to my boy Kevin.

( :

Also, this is my habitat... Starting trouble... So, like or don't... Who Shives a git??!!

Peace... Eat me...

-Rip

QUOTE:

( ;

( :

-Rip

http://www.amazon.com/exec....8451228[/QUOTE]
And another thing... Stop kissing ass...

I wasn't name calling... Didn't you know that Revlis' real name is Richard? I was only pointing out the obvious.

bobo!

So what, U know what U can do w/ your four fingers, then take a sniff, cuz it sounds like U R in luv w/ your own $hit. So really bro, u talk some, F yourself & what U think. How's that for kissing a$$ cupcake?  
guns.gif

<!--EDIT|AZTECWARRIOR
Reason for Edit: None given...|1097855580 -->

calm down guys... we are all bros here and we are all learning and certain techniques will work better for different people. Nice to know how "everyone" does it and then choose the method that works best for you.

Back