CHP Helicopters are slow

that's the first time I laughed reading the title of a post

KEVTEC you gonna let rick get away with that?

Good point Duc. I think it's important for people to realize that turbo Rick is a world record holding racer, and not some squid with a fast bike. Also, judging from the pictures, it looks like the event took place at El mirage, witch would be a closed course situation. Not exactly street racing

I talked to Turbo Rick about it. Apparently the helo pilot was most amazed by the fact that a bike could be that fast on dirt.

Definitely not street racing, and not to be tried by novices.

[This message has been edited by Mr Bear (edited 05 November 1999).]

That copter appears to be a bit faster than the one that Turtle beat.(based on the limited information we have) I suspect the bike is a bit faster too?! Someone refresh my memory on the top speed of Rick's turbo bike.

[This message has been edited by Todd (edited 05 November 1999).]

The biggest problem I see with trying to race an Army AH-64 Apache, would be the guy they refer to as the gunner.

The local San Jose police Copter had a top speed of 140mph and it was a Bell Copter with the turbo jet tail control no prop at the rear.The pilot and a mechanic died about a two weeks ago testing the copter since the pilot was having problems with the stick sticking,they lost control to the rear tail which caused the copter to spin out of control.The pilot was a good guy and desert storm vet and the mechanic was a 24 year guy who loved copters and airplanes.Sorry for the bad side of the news but the top speed for most of the local police copters are 140mph and the reason why is that these copters are quitier due to the rear tail section having no prop and also the type of prop that is used for the main prop system and the exhaust system that the engine uses.

Cisco

My brother used to fly one of those "Notars". Very quiet. He would put the sheriffs dept. down in a guy's yard before they could come out of the house. They had to serve warrants that way cause if the guys would make it out, they would run in the forest. You know how it is here. No body would go in after them.

The engine jumped out of that bugger at 4:30 am on a mission, 700' alt. over Lanai last year. They went down pretty hard. All survived. My brother received the police Medal of Honor for pulling the last cop out while the ship was on fire.

The Notars are faster than the long rangers (pictured w/ Turbo Rick) that CHP uses. I think the long ranger is good for about 140 max, with a very lite load. My brother told me the notar is good for about 150-160 in ideal conditions. Depending on how much gear they pack. It also depends on the turbine out put.

I have been flying UH-60 Blackhawks for the Army for the last 14 years. The fastest you can get straight and level is 165 KIAS (knots indicated airspeed). You cannot get much faster with any other rotary wing aircraft unless you are in a dive. In a dive the UH-60 Vne is 193 KIAS unless you are carry the ESSS (external stores support system) equipped with the ERFS (external extended range fuel system).

A Busa could easily outrun an R-22 or Hughes 300 if there aren't too many curves in the road.

I think the max. level speed at sea level of the Army's AH-64 Apache is slightly above 190 also. That's about the same for the Navy CH-53 Super Stallion (I think the newer variant is called Sea Dragon). The Army's UH-60 Blackhawk (the type that got popped in Somalia) goes low to mid-180's, according to my somewhat out-of-date book.

The military aviation guys refer to helos as "low & slow", so I don't think top speed is really the point when they put rotors on them. I'd like to put the busa up against my buddy's Beechcraft Bonanza sometime, though. I'll bet Turbo Rick could take him, but it'd be a good battle.

Come on Maui, where are your cajones?? Just throw the Busa into a hard turn when that Hellfire is bearing down on you, and you're good to go...just like Rambo!

Busa Pilot, I loved helos during my one chance to fly them in Pensacola in 1982 (Bell Jet Ranger). I puked my guts out in the T-2 and T-34, so low & slow seemed like a better fit to me. Rescuing downed pilots has to be one of the greatest jobs in the world. You should post a picture of the Busa next to the UH-60. Maybe try to get the Army to let you race Turbo Rick!

Back