fleeing motorcycle rider runs down cop

There is no reason a cop should be chasing a bike for 40 minutes at that speed. That's just a risk to public safety.

Let me see... 1 moron on a 500lb bike vs. 1 moron cop in a 5000lb vehicle. Which one could potentially cause more damage?
i think your comments are a little inconsistant. the cop should have just knocked the guy off the motorcycle while he was running. very little risk to innocents and cop.

rubbin' is racin'

I would bet that the majority of the time a chase is called off the person being chased immediately gets off whatever road they are on and slows down or stops on a side street (if it is a simple speeding offense).
You would be wrong about this. They usually continue to drive like idiots for quite awhile after the chase is called off, whether in a car or on a bike.
Your probably right... I was basing that statement in part on my own pattern. I have never really run but I have seen them a distance behind me with the lights going... and I can only assume it was me he was moving on based on my speed... But what I did was crest a hill and make the first available turn while out of sight and basically parked and waited ( a little hidden) to see if it was me that prompted the flashing lights and sirens... At no time did I accelerate crazily or make an unsafe move that I wouldn't have made in any other situation. Needless to say I watched him blaze by my turn off but I still think he was looking for me.

The only problem I have with any chase is the danger to innocents that have nothing to do with the chase... And while I agree it is the as#hat that runs that should be at fault the officer should really use better judgement at all times. Getting caught up in the moment is a sign that you shouldn't have the job based on your reasoning skills and the way you handle your emotional distress. We are all adrenalin addicts but you shouldn't let the rush nor the anger control your actions.

Terrible news!! One more moron tainting our image as motorcyclists, especially sportbike riders. I personally feel LEO's should continue to do what is standard procedure, even if it means pursuit.

I can see the reasoning behind the "no-pursuit" idea, yet more fatalities may result because of it (newbie m/c rider on 150+hp bike=bad accident or death waiting to happen).

If a "no-pursuit" policy was in effect, I can see insurance companies jacking up EVERYONES rates, including the good riders, just to keep less motorcyclists off the road (less liability). I hope it NEVER comes down to that.

I've heard European countries have a system in which new riders are not allowed to purchase/ride bikes of more than 250cc. They have to ride for several years, and can move up to a 600cc class bike, ride that for several years safely, then graduate to an open-classer if they wish. The laws over there are a little more stricter when it comes to rider skill, but you have a lot more skillful riders over there and less fatalities than here in the US because of it.

I'll have to look up that article and link up to it. It had some interesting statistics between the Europeans and States.

I think if you see a speeding vehicle coming towards you....move.
I know it sounds complicated and all, but it really does work when implimented correctly.  
I learned that once when I was 5.  I got hit by a BMX bike and from then on in, I used the 'step aside' policy.  
thumb_up.gif

Back