Best things to buy for improved braking

MoNoXiDe

Registered
I have asked friends that are bike guys here and there but none own a busa. My friend that does most of the mechanic work is who I usually trust in. He says, change rotors over getting braided lines. Is there something else I can do with less expense but, have the same affect or better? or is it better to just do the braided lines,rotors, and ebc pro pads. Rotors alone? Pads and Lines? etc. any combo or any other suggestions. thanks

Do braided lines with some EBC HH's and you can stand it on it's nose I'd say easily if you want. You can go with different rotors,calipers etc also but honestley it'll be more for the look than functionality. Don't take that wrong, they will definetley improve performance but I'd say unless your racing pretty hard you won't take just the upgraded lines & pads past their limit.

But I'm sure you'll get 100 different opinions.

I don't agree with your friend. The first step in improving a stock Gen II's brakes is stainless steel brake lines and better pads. Next, is to go to a better, radial master cylinder. Good braking is not about maximum stopping power, its about feel. If you don't believe me, go out and get going 70 mph and grab a hand full of stock brakes, you will be sliding across the pavement pretty quick (ok take my word for it, don't try this at home :laugh:). So even the stock brakes have enough "power". But good braking is about control & effort. That's why you need to start with better lines and a better MC. Frankly the stock MC on the Busa is shameful.

Now if you really want better braking control, make sure your suspension is setup for your weight and riding style. This may sound crazy but if your bike dives too hard under hard braking it makes stopping the big girl all that much more difficult. You can fix the suspension with just a setup or maybe springs if you're a porker like yours truely. When I got my Ohlins setup properly, the only thing I could think about was how much more confident I was braking! So, pads, SS lines, and a radial MC will set you up for the street and that is about $500-$600 investment and all stuff the average guy can do in a few hours.

If you do track days or some pretty illegal street riding, you might want to look into Brembo calipers and then i would upgrade the rotors. That is a system you might can actually use on the track. I plan to get some Brembo calipers but the stock setup with the basic changes i mentioned are more than adequate for most road riding.

EBC Pro Extreme Pads $60, see how you like it.

...Per side:laugh:
Most definately the best improvement and they will stop you sooner, and add ss lines to improve the feel(make sure you get the "extreme pro", as they are different from the regular HH pads).
The 2 combined will be a big difference.
I'de get a radial master cylinder before I bought rotors too, the rmc will really improve feel.
The rotors will save a little weight, add looks, and should be more durable than stock(harder to warp street riding).
I can't see spending the money on calipers unless money is no option, and you're riding the bike to it's limits, street and track.:beerchug:

+1 on setting the suspension sag too, make sure the bike is handling well first.

I agree with fallen and sixpack, there has been more than a couple threads on the whole braking issue. Im telling you from my experience with my busa that SS lines and HH pads with new brake fluid isnt gonna make your bikes braking performance change dramatically. The radial master cylinder, suspension properly setup, and brembo calipers will stop your busa like your riding on a 600 :whistle: There is no secret brand of brake lines or pads that will yield the same results

The best thing you can do to improve your braking cannot be purchased. It has to be earned, called "Skill"! Braking is a learned skill that few street riders ever develop to any advanced degree. lt takes practice, Practice, PRACTICE and more PRACTICE. I have put so much time in on braking that my right forearm is an inch larger than my left.

Changing your rotors will add no improvement to your braking, not even a little bit. If you want good feel, steel lines will be a small improvement but the big improvement comes with your choice of pads. The very best pads I have found by far to improve both grip and feel are made by EBC (Extreme Pro).

Clean your rotors with electrical contact cleaner when you change pads and break them in properly. If you purchase EBC Extreme Pro pads you won't be disappointed. I guarantee it! :thumbsup:

The best thing you can do to improve your braking cannot be purchased. It has to be earned, called "Skill"! Braking is a learned skill that few street riders ever develop to any advanced degree. lt takes practice, Practice, PRACTICE and more PRACTICE. I have put so much time in on braking that my right forearm is an inch larger than my left.

Changing your rotors will add no improvement to your braking, not even a little bit. If you want good feel, steel lines will be a small improvement but the big improvement comes with your choice of pads. The very best pads I have found by far to improve both grip and feel are made by EBC (Extreme Pro).

Clean your rotors with electrical contact cleaner when you change pads and break them in properly. If you purchase EBC Extreme Pro pads you won't be disappointed. I guarantee it! :thumbsup:

Well there you have it! having a bike that's capable of better feel is useless if you don't know how to inturpret what it's telling you.

Lol thats why I tell my wife my right arm is bigger too!

Whats your take on radial master cylinders?

Ya'll are ALL wrong.

Want to break better?

Pull the right hand lever TOWARDS you. It helps a ton!:laugh:

...Per side:laugh:
Most definately the best improvement and they will stop you sooner, and add ss lines to improve the feel(make sure you get the "extreme pro", as they are different from the regular HH pads).
The 2 combined will be a big difference.
I'de get a radial master cylinder before I bought rotors too, the rmc will really improve feel.
The rotors will save a little weight, add looks, and should be more durable than stock(harder to warp street riding).
I can't see spending the money on calipers unless money is no option, and you're riding the bike to it's limits, street and track.:beerchug:

+1 on setting the suspension sag too, make sure the bike is handling well first.

+1000

Is there a certain part# for the radial master cyl? Is there another model bike that is close to a direct swap? Any info is appreciated

Don't worry about all that Master Cylinder stuff until after you put better PADS on it. Then see where you are and decide if you want to go further. IN ORDER:

PADS
SS Lines
THEN MC. Earlybird has a Brembo MC on his which he really likes, BUT HE MASTERED his braking skills before he went that far.

When you start improving the braking components, it requires you to remaster you skillz of using them. If you grab a wad-full of brakes with new pads/lines, you could put yourself on your azz, and you need to master each in STEPS....

I don't think I feel real comfortable messing with the suspension sag etc. I would hate to mess suttin up. I'm am 6'1 270 lbs so I'm sure it should be adjusted. I haven't had any issues riding etc. but I also haven't compared to another setting.

With the master cylinder question it can get quite pricey when dealing with Brembo. I read up and found that certain years of the R6 and R1's came with Brembo MC stock. So I found a used Brembo MC off an 09 R6 for cheap. Bolted right up and I ran a Speigler Billet reservoir. After that my brakes would bite so hard I switched it up to a shorty lever cause all I needed is 2 fingers to stop

Pads and lines are a really good place to start..... but if you really want some braking power, feel, and repeat-ability of use with feel. Spend the money once. EBC Extreme pro pads, SS line, and a Brembo RCS 19 Master cylinder. https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/gen-...nder-upgrade-pazzo-clutch-handle-upgrade.html

Seriously the Master cylinder really was the ticket after the pads and line. The other 2 mods helped, but still felt the busa was lacking stopping power. The feel and the power are just awesome, so much so I bought another RCS19 Brembo MC on my 09 GSXR 1000 (Got rid of the stock Nissan Radial MC). (Wish, you were close by to ride mine back to back to yours.) Both bike use the same brake pads, calipers, lines, brake fluid, and Brembo MC. Only 2 differences are the Rotors and the weight of the bikes. Other then that they both have a very very very similar feel

When you change the MC, I notice that they have levers with them I assume? I can still keep my Pazzo levers right?

Back