At What RPM Does "Oh My God Mode" Begin

I started off on a zx11 and about 3 weeks after buying it went with a 1255 kit and many other mods. First time ever on anything other than a quad and a Lil hot rod car. I don't see any thing wrong with the visa being a first SO LONG AS the person can control them self and has some common sense. Good luck with it a stay safe.
Posted via Mobile Device

I started off on a zx11 and about 3 weeks after buying it went with a 1255 kit and many other mods. First time ever on anything other than a quad and a Lil hot rod car. I don't see any thing wrong with the visa being a first SO LONG AS the person can control them self and has some common sense. Good luck with it a stay safe.
Posted via Mobile Device

The "Visa":laugh: what are you buying today?:laugh:

5k it starts to wake up and 7-8k it will go places in a hurry

also to the off topic of busa for new peoples-

simple if you normaly like to buy something and show it off or your on first name baise with a tow truck company for wrecked vechiles, maybe you should try a taxi and public trans?

at any rpm over the rev limiter and the motor cuts out. I thought holly crap I just blew the motor!!!!

In 45 years of riding on the streets and having owned over 50 different bikes, I have to say that the Busa is the right bike at the right time for me. I cannot say that I would have bought a Busa as my first bike but it came into my life as I approach the retirement age. It is as safe and as sane as the person controlling the throttle. It can create the pucker effect at any given moment but do not be afraid of what you have. Learn slow, practice hammering the throttle in the higher gears and you will come to appriciate what you have. but just enjoy, you have found the perfect bike.

at any rpm over the rev limiter and the motor cuts out. I thought holly crap I just blew the motor!!!!

I touched 11K on the tach WOT 3 times in the first 20 minutes of riding the busa. Never heard the limiter bounce because I was careful to back off before the rev limiter could hit. Never had the motor cut out.

You mean to say that the engine shuts down if the rev limiter is disabled and you exceed 11,000 rpm?

I touched 11K on the tach WOT 3 times in the first 20 minutes of riding the busa. Never heard the limiter bounce because I was careful to back off before the rev limiter could hit. Never had the motor cut out.

You mean to say that the engine shuts down if the rev limiter is disabled and you exceed 11,000 rpm?

No, there are 2 limiters in place, soft cut, and hard hard(read up on Boostbysmith, ECU Editor) The tach is not completely accurate either. Removing the soft cut will obviously allow more rpm's, and therefor more power when tuned correctly. The hardcut being next, and not something to be removed from a stock engine.
Limiters on many sportbikes may be somewhat conservative, to help add life to the engine. They are also there for the obvious, there comes a point when rpm's get too high and sooner or later your engine goes boom:laugh:

This is something they teach you in any basic MSF course, you don't need experience or skill to learn this.
I think you miss the point. Being taught it is one thing, DOING it, and more importantly doing it right, is quite another. That takes the sense to realise it's the right way to do it, and the practice to make it pure instinct.

But we're getting off the track. I never meant to stir up controversy over what (to me at least) is obvious. The thread was started with this statement:

:rofl:Put on some miles today to break in the new bike, and felt her out just a bit in first gear. Could probably have brought her over the top of me if I'd not had a grip on the handlebars...I bumped up a little higher than I should have today purely because I wasn't looking at the gauge.

I will concede that, in the right hands and with some luck, an inexperienced rider can survive on the Busa, but anyone who does what this guy did does not have the right hands. If he can almost put the bike on top of him in this situation, can you imagine what will happen the first time he needs to accelerate out of trouble in a crisis on this bike? I mean, he still thinks it happened because he wasn't looking at the tach. That's probably the only thing he was doing right!

Anyway, no doubt some will agree with me, and some will not, and it makes little difference either way. I hope everyone stays safe over Christmas.

Last edited:
:rofl:Put on some miles today to break in the new bike, and felt her out just a bit in first gear. Could probably have brought her over the top of me if I'd not had a grip on the handlebars...

A mode is usually fairly sane at the RPMs I typically ride, but I bumped up a little higher than I should have today purely because I wasn't looking at the gauge. At what RPM does the bike really begin to pull?

Obviously, need to stay well South of that limit till break in, but want to be prepared if and when I ever do decide to let her rip.

Also, under absolute full power, what are the chances that

a) the back wheel will break loose on a dry public road, or,
b) you'll wheelie the sonoffagun right on over your head?

Mode B might be safest for my intents and purposes...

Thanks,

Mike

This is the second '09 Busa that you have owned in 4 months (traded the first one for a car because of a phobia of going over a bridge and then replaced it a week or two later with another new one). You say you put 600 miles on the first one, 60 miles on this one, and yet you are still asking this question? I said it before and I will say it again, I think you have bitten off more than you want to chew up. You can read these forums 24/7 but they will not give you the experience or confidence that you are seeking.

Don't over-hype your bike. I fell for the hype back in 04' when I bought my Busa. While the bike had power, it wasn't the fire breathing street terror I was led to believe. I was actually let down somewhat. The turbo I installed a few years later is what woke the bike up.

Last edited:
I don't recall anyone "ridiculing" you, but I did apparently touch a nerve. Your response answered my question and all I can do is wish you luck. The laws in this country should prevent inexperienced riders from riding superbikes as they do in England, but they don't, so you and everyone else has the right to swing their leg over 175hp and do as they please with it.

I wish you or anyone else no harm and, as I said, I hope the old saying "better lucky than good" holds true for you.

Gee, I'm hoping it is quite the opposite... That's why I practice MSF maneuvers frequently and don't ride beyond my ability. :lol:

I will concede that, in the right hands and with some luck, an inexperienced rider can survive on the Busa, but anyone who does what this guy did does not have the right hands. If he can almost put the bike on top of him in this situation, can you imagine what will happen the first time he needs to accelerate out of trouble in a crisis on this bike? I mean, he still thinks it happened because he wasn't looking at the tach. That's probably the only thing he was doing right!

Anyway, no doubt some will agree with me, and some will not, and it makes little difference either way. I hope everyone stays safe over Christmas.

Critterdoc, I see the root of the problem. What we have here is a failure to communicate, as at least one famous musician has described in his music...

What struck a nerve with me was the insinuation that I was some wet behind the ears, risk-taking kid without a clue about riding a bike safely. I wasn't clear that I was joking about looping the bike. I'm in the military, and the last thing I'd do is behave inconsistently with the rules/expectations the military has for motorcycle riders. Not to mention, it'd really suck to lose my career because of a debilitating injury caused by my own recklessness.

I'd recently seen a loop happen in a Youtube vid (on a racetrack, with a kid on what was probably a light/liter bike). Rest assured, I did not even bring the front wheel off the ground the other day. Had a good handle on the bike, a good grip on the seat, and was braced for rapid acceleration. That acceleration was simply stronger than I anticipated, as the bike is new and I have not applied any aggressive throttle inputs since we're still well under break-in mileage.

Because I'm *not* one to take risks, I asked the question. Some replies here have helped me "map out" in my mind how the bike will respond so that I'm more prepared what to expect as I get more comfortable with the bike. I'm a new Busa rider, remember. Not inclined to take risks. The bike will certainly never see more than 75 miles an hour on public highways, and may never be on a track. I bought the bike because I feel more secure on the bike than I did on lighter bikes, and because I wanted something I could ride comfortably. A smaller GSX-R or Ninja didn't fill that bill.

And yes, my bike is always in first gear at stop signs, rear brake covered, and I'm looking in the rearviews and all around just in case there's a moron that isn't paying attention coming up from behind. Actually, that situational awareness saved my life recently on a Sunday morning when a woman was chatting away on her cell phone while approaching from behind me at a red light... She pulled her head out of her backside a fraction of a second before I was ready to let out the clutch, but I remember that and other MSF course lessons well.

Last edited:
I took his crazy, to mean "gutsy"; ie taking that step, to bypass the smaller bikes, and take on the busa beast, but with much respect.

180 mph, on the busa (or any motorcycle) except on a track, now that's crazy, stupid, loco, whatever... (even on the interestate). I doubt my bike will ever see 140 mph; to each his own. My bike, was purchased for cruising, not for intense, insane speeds (while ocassionally, bursting the speed, under safe, clear conditions).

Well why even buy a busa then :rofl:??? Simple answer; because that's what I like. A beast that's pretty much kept on it's chain. :)

This argument is as old as "what is the best oil" or "what tires are the best" or "how to break in a new motor" and it all boils down to opinions. No matter how fast a vehicle is, the limit is on the rider/driver and throttle position. People buy what they want and no amount of peoples busy body opinions will stop it.
As for what other countries may do or not do, America is America and while some people and governments may have good intentions and try and limit people based on some requirement. They are still walking on rights we still hold dear in America. And to be honest, that is why the Uk doesn't speak German as the national language.

I crack the throttle on my Busa and ride it to the limit. If that is wrong, so be it and that is why wimps ride V-twins.

Cheers to my Busa Brothers and keep the shiny side up.

Last edited:
The "Visa":laugh: what are you buying today?:laugh:
I can say I bought my first shiny new android phone and this dang thing is about to be on its way to eBay so I can have my bberry back. Them visa's are hell though , get u in trouble. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited:
Keep your eyes off the tach... Like one of the earlier posts, glance at it once in a while but 99.9% of your sight should be spent checking your surroundings. Instead, feel the rpm via your throttle input and glancing at the tach will be unnecessary until you are ready to cross the limits of the bike. Even then, you got flashing lights letting you know that you're near or at the limit. It goes the same with gear display (I'm guilty of this more than I care to admit)... you should know what gear you're in by heart.

Anyways, you bought it already, so might as well enjoy it. My opinion is that if you respect it "too" much, then you won't enjoy the bike. Having respect does not mean you have to drive in such restrained manner. I tend to run hard on everything I ride/drive and I have lots of fun doing it. This is the main reason why I bought this bike and it's fitting the bill quite well.

You said that you're not the risk taking type, but being on the street with any kind of a bike is a risk in it self. It's all about fun. I'm pretty sure that's why you got the bike... for fun! Ride with a good fun/restrain ratio... I, personally, lean heavily towards fun. :thumbsup:

Don't mind the negative comments... You'll always get those regardless it's here or any other forum. Be a sponge and absorb everything you need and with time and practice it be like second nature riding the Hayabusa. Enjoy!

Back