Power Mode A, B, C

If you can't tell any difference in A, B, and C mode, then you just cruise everywhere. Which is fine, to each their own. Grip it and rip it in C, then do the same in A. From a low speed, low rpm, in 1st or 2nd, open the throttle as fast as you can and hold it that way through a couple gears. You'll notice it then.:beerchug:
I agree. There is a significant difference between A and C.

I didn't know that there was so much science to our Gen2. You all have really been doing some good research. My mentality has only been to enjoy the bike and don't worry about fuel. Good stuff going on here.

Yep, I don't ride bikes either to worry about gas mileage. Grip it and rip it.
For what I used to save in gas commuting(old job) I spent in tires:laugh:
At least the OP wants to know about gas mileage for long distance riding, to plan fuel stops.

GPS or a Speedohealer needs to be used to get exact mileage and speed anyway.
As a stock gen2's speedometer is off around 7%.

Yep, I don't ride bikes either to worry about gas mileage. Grip it and rip it.
For what I used to save in gas commuting(old job) I spent in tires:laugh:
At least the OP wants to know about gas mileage for long distance riding, to plan fuel stops.

GPS or a Speedohealer needs to be used to get exact mileage and speed anyway.
As a stock gen2's speedometer is off around 7%.

Thanks for your reply Sir.

I know the difference in A mode and C mode by twisting the grip. There is a big difference.

I suppose that this test of mpg's between modes may turn out to show there is little difference... especially in circumstances of 'tamed' riding.
It reminds me of the argument years ago that a 4bbl carb would get better mpg's than a 2bbl carb, if driven the same way as a taxi driver would do to ensure passenger comfort.

Where is Sous?
He had a long commute on his gen2, and I thought he tested mpg's between the modes?

On the road you'd not really notice much in the way of reduced fuel burn if you run in mode C, unless your speeds (and revs) along with throttle openings were high.

Myself I've done a few endurance runs, using the basic limiting factor of no more than 80 mph sustained and short shifting. Worst range from full to fuel light on under those conditions was just over 200 miles, on fairly flat territory, even in the hills 180 was easy before the light came on.

A steady throttle hand saves more fuel than running in C mode in my opinion. You didn't buy a Busa to ride sedately though did you...???

On the road you'd not really notice much in the way of reduced fuel burn if you run in mode C, unless your speeds (and revs) along with throttle openings were high.

A steady throttle hand saves more fuel than running in C mode in my opinion.

All that you say makes sense, however I intend to prove it... and will use Gas consumption via Miles tracked on my GPS to get actual/exact readings on MPG's.

At a steady speed it will make no difference what mode your in...still takes the same hp from the engine to hold a speed.
If you spend 10s accelerating from 0-60mph or 30-70 etc you need the same power output from the engine to do it...so generally no difference in fuel consumption.
Most of the mode alterations come in the form of timing changes and secondary throttle plate control.
Dyno charts are pointless on the road as they are 100% throttle which riders will ever use exclusively unless at a drag strip 24/7.
What I find is that the Busa is harder to ride in B and especially C mode as you use more throttle ( so your wrist works harder ), a lot of clutch feathering to get it moving and it generally feels more clumsy and heavy, especially doing low speed stuff.
The engine components are optimised to run in A mode and having done quite a few miles in C mode due to rain, pillion and surface conditions I know sticking in C mode makes the mpg worse.....BUT fortunately Suzuki enabled the system to change modes on the fly for overtakes or higher speed stuff which is really handy.
So...is the switch needed...for a solo rider with the right tyres etc ...NO
For general use, 2up and any possible combination of tyres that don't suit the road conditions...YES..........I just try to avoid it as much as possible...otherwise i'd have bought a GSXF

I think more than switching modes - everything I've read on the oRg says that to conserve fuel and maximize economy, a cruise control is the way to go.

I switched to C mode when I went for a cruise last Saturday. I twisted the throttle a little hard to jump into the right lane of traffic and there wasn't as much kick as I have been used too. Now I have actually experienced that lack of power in that mode, so I won't be doing that again. Jumping into traffic on the autobahn is something that you need to have power for.

Getting back to the point of this....

I'm planning to do a 1500 mile run in < 24 hours.
Doing this requires planning of gas stops down to details like: the Interstate Exit Number, the right Station location off that exit, etc.
I like to plan a max of 12 minutes per stop for Fuel, Stretch, Bio, and food/drink replenish.
However some stops are simply Gas 'n Go, which can be done in < 6 minutes.
For stops Speeds are reduced, time keeps ticking... consider time to get off the highway, get to the station, do the credit card thing, fill up, get the receipt, stretch/bio, get geared/cranked up, get out of the station, and get back on to the highway and established at the intended speed.
I try to eat and drink while moving.
1500 miles / 24 hours = 62.5 mph minimum moving average for 24 hours.

Example...
assume the speed limit is 70 mph.
So, let's ride for 2 hours at 70 mph and go 140 miles.
62.5 miles per hour mininum is 125 miles.
140 - 125 = 15 miles, which allows 12.85 minutes for a stop.

Variances are the distance between the gas stops... some may be 120 miles apart, other times they may be 180 miles... do we have the mpg range for it? Would mode 'C' help at all ?

It's fun to plan, fun to ride...

I always use A mode
When I'm caught in the rain I switch to C
Sometimes, just to have fun (in dry weather) I go into C mode, open the throttle then use my thumb to switch to A mode and enjoy the burst of power.

Sorry tank, we just don't know....if the motor has to "work" it will burn fuel...a gentle wrist will keep it from "working", but if it has to "work" just to go <C Mode>, it may use just as much gas... focus on gentle starts, & keeping your R's down, and not wasting an ounce of momentum.... You should easilly squeeze out 200 miles to a full tank

I consider anything but A mode to be a slight hazard when I ride aggressively. If I dive into a corner under throttle and then get a big hit of power as I exit at the flies open rpm, its risky. I'm used to A mode and that's where I leave it. Actually, I feel a lag way low, even in A mode that I don't care for. I plan to try removing the secondary flies altogether one day. The busa sure has wonderful fine throttle control though. Hate to screw with that.

Doing this requires planning of gas stops down to details like: the Interstate Exit Number, the right Station location off that exit, etc.
I like to plan a max of 12 minutes per stop for Fuel, Stretch, Bio, and food/drink replenish.
For stops Speeds are reduced, time keeps ticking... consider time to get off the highway, get to the station, do the credit card thing, fill up, get the receipt, stretch/bio, get geared/cranked up, get out of the station, and get back on to the highway and established at the intended speed.

Example...

Variances are the distance between the gas stops... some may be 120 miles apart, other times they may be 180 miles... do we have the mpg range for it? Would mode 'C' help at all ?

I would get a Speedohealer to correct the factory 7% error.
Then the speedometer will be accurate to gps.
Seems it would simplify things when calculating mileage and planning stops.
A Speedohealer can be programmed for different tire and sprocket sizes also.
Pashnit sells them, and they plug into the factory harness under the left fairing.

Pashnit also sells spare fuel cans:laugh:

I'll check out the speedohealer... thanks for the vendor suggestion. I like Pashnit.
I already have a 1.5L fuel bottle.... hopefully to use if someone else needs it... I"m headed to Stugis, SD, Montana, Wyoming, and Colorado soon....
(on my 2012 Harley Ultra Classic... my 2012 Goldwing gets a break this time)

Example...

The tank is 5.5 gallons. If you ride at 70mph, you should get around 45mpg if you are easy on the throttle.
That would give you a maximum range of 247.5 miles. I would plan gas stops around a 180-200 mile range, if your ass can handle it. That would give you 50 miles of reserve.

The tank is 5.5 gallons. If you ride at 70mph, you should get around 45mpg if you are easy on the throttle.
That would give you a maximum range of 247.5 miles. I would plan gas stops around a 180-200 mile range, if your ass can handle it. That would give you 50 miles of reserve.

Thanks Karl... do you know what 75-80 mph would do in mpg's?

I have a Russell Day Long saddle arriving tomorrow... should be good to go in that area.

Thanks Karl... do you know what 75-80 mph would do in mpg's?

I have a Russell Day Long saddle arriving tomorrow... should be good to go in that area.

I would guess slightly less. It is more about the throttle openings to pass others, etc. Keeping a steady hand will get you your best mileage.

Back