What fuel economy are you getting in C mode?

damon_Z

Registered
I just recently learned about Suzuki's Drive Mode Selector and that there's a C mode that'll reduce horsepower in the entire powerband by 30% (50 hp on the dyno) and limit the top speed to 135 MPH. The C mode basically transforms the Hayabusa into a 600-750cc motorcycle and makes it more user-friendly for beginners. I was just wondering if there's anybody here with a 2008 Hayabusa that has actually experienced increase fuel economy from driving in C mode. Thanks in advance for the info.

I suspect the majority of K8 owners think the Mode switch is not terribly useful. Aside from initially dinking with it shortly after I bought the bike, it never gets touched, never moves out of 'A' mode.

This Mode adjustment seems more like a marketing or legal ploy, vice something that is actually useful.

2cents.gif

If you're worried about having good fuel economy or 135MPH or -50HP, buy a 750 and add 100 lbs to it, don't buy a busa.

I don't think C mode will save much for gas mileage. I rode mine in C a lot during the first 500 miles of break in and found myself twisting the throttle a lot further to get the power going so it's probably a wash.

I don't think C mode will save much for gas mileage. I rode mine in C a lot during the first 500 miles of break in and found myself twisting the throttle a lot further to get the power going so it's probably a wash.
I have found the same thing.
Today was my first ride since bringing the bike home, and I can tell you C mode sucks.
The throttle response is the worst part of it all. Instead of pulling timing, and fuel, suzuki should have just limited airflow. The power in B and C mode feel unnatural.
I have about 100 miles on my bike now(it started to rain again), and probably half of those are in C mode. I will never use C mode again.

I thought B and C were a waste of engineering until I took some hard corners in them. I love the response of my 08 but coming out of a tight corner it is a little violent using the mode switch is not necessary but it does make it more controllable just give it a try. As far as fuel economy I do not have the self control to drive around in B or C to find out

I have 3500 miles on mine and have never used the c mode. I do however have to say i have got as much as 52.3 MPG when i am easy on the bike in A mode. Just enjoy it and be carefull and remember the power is there if you need it.

My_Hayabusa_144RS.jpg

I use C going out of my driveway which is 150 feet long and made of millings or ground up asphalt, then it dumps out onto lime rock and sand then on to a hard pack road 1 mile long. I switch to A on the hard pack and warm the tires. On the normal road its always in A mode and I have hit 49.5 mpg twice-in A. If its raining or I get hinkey in bad weather its in C.

For those interested in better fuel economy, the power commander can pay for itself in gas savings alone if you lean out the A/F for cruising speeds. With a dyno or a datalogger, you can map WOT for around 13.3 A/F and your 2% to 5% throttle positions between 4krpm and 6krpm at around 14.8 A/F or even a bit higher. I just came back from a 500 mile trip through the mountains of NH and got around 56 mpg. The C mode only tempers the wrist; it doesn't change the air fuel ratio.

Never paid attention to it. I used for the first few 100, now the only time I use it is in the rain or on a cold morning until the tires heat up.

might reduce the power to that of a 600 but it will not fix the weight issues as well as the handling that is also going to be unaffected... I would consider the mode switch an "inclement" weather crutch, not a learning to ride tool...

might reduce the power to that of a 600 but it will not fix the weight issues as well as the handling that is also going to be unaffected... I would consider the mode switch an "inclement" weather crutch, not a learning to ride tool...
Absolutely true.

C mode is great on a greasy street in the rain.

Otherwise it's a waste of space!

rode in c mode for bout 1 minute.and have not ever gone back to it.i want power and i want it at the crack of my wrist.c mode is absolutely worthless to me here in west texas.but i can see using it in different weather conditions.best milage ina mode right at 51 mpg crusing 80-85 mph.

<div class="iF-Passage"><div class="QUOTEHEAD">Quote:[/Quote]<div class="QUOTE clearfix"><span class="quoteBegin"> </span>
Absolutely true.

C mode is great on a greasy street in the rain.

Otherwise it's a waste of space![/quote]

Thats what I use mine for... peace of mind that the reduced power will help prevent wheel slip in wet and crossing painted lines, etc.

Back