At What RPM Does "Oh My God Mode" Begin

When I first picked up my Busa this year I rode around in "C" Mode for the first 500 to 600 miles. I did not want to hurt myself or bike in the first month.

I have owned a GSXR-750 and RC51. I have ridding a GSXR-1000 and R1. The first time I left the busa in "A" mode and cracked her open holly crab!! I have to be honest it sacred the hell out of me.

Now, after a few thousand miles I have become very comfortable with it. Like the others say in the lower gears do not smack the throttle wide open. I know when I take off fast from a stop it will lift the front tire after about 5k to 6k rpm. Not really sure on rpm paying attention to road ahead.

Above all stay in your comfort zone. Never feel pushed to do anything stuid.

:rofl:Put on some miles today to break in the new bike, and felt her out just a bit in first gear. Could probably have brought her over the top of me if I'd not had a grip on the handlebars...

A mode is usually fairly sane at the RPMs I typically ride, but I bumped up a little higher than I should have today purely because I wasn't looking at the gauge. At what RPM does the bike really begin to pull?

Obviously, need to stay well South of that limit till break in, but want to be prepared if and when I ever do decide to let her rip.

Also, under absolute full power, what are the chances that

a) the back wheel will break loose on a dry public road, or,
b) you'll wheelie the sonoffagun right on over your head?

Mode B might be safest for my intents and purposes...

Thanks,

Mike

You don't NEED to be watching the tach, it's there for refernce, glance at it occasinally. Your eyes need to be on the road and your brain thinking ten "what if" steps ahead. Ride relaxed, but cautious. You NEED to learn to shift by sound and feel. Riding the bike needs to become second nature, and all your focus should be on your surroundings.
I understand that you're learning, and I respect that you asked the question. If you need to glance at the tach to learn when to shift, listen and feel while you're at it, and learn fast.
Just keep giving the bike a little more, little by little. When you get to the point you did today, back off a little. You've reached your potential for the time being. Practice more before you push it again. Clint Eastwood "Man's got ta know his limitations". If you can ride, shift, turn and operate the bike without even thinking about it, then you're ready to push your luck:laugh:
You'll either get it, or you won't, and you'll know if you do. Good luck

it's crazy, it's like you get used to strapping yourself to a rocket. i mean, how can you get used to that? but we all have. it's ruined any chance that a performance auto will " do it " for me, it's just too damn fast.

The bike pulls hard up to 7k then the note changes and it pulls harder and harder... with a stronger rush at about 9k.

Now i have a fulle exhaust the bike pretty scary in 2nd and third with WOT...

Brake your knees so you wont feel like your slipping backwards, lean forward and relax the upper body is my best advice... the worst part for me is the wind force hitting my upper torso and trying to pull my Arai off!!! :)

I have owned lots of bikes with big engines, XX, FJR, GSX-R, ZX14, B-King.

My Busa goes very well, but I am certainly not 'scared' of it.....I respect it, sure, but it doesn't frighten me.

If you blokes think the Busa is 'scary', then you should not be riding it.

Simple.

There are 357,000 threads on this and just about every Busa site I have seen re the Bus as a first bike.....

The answer is always the same.

Entirely unsuitable.

I went to a SV650, then a Bandit 1250 (and a second Bandit, got the first big crash out of the way before getting the busa) and then the Busa (yes, every bike I have ever owned on or off road was a Suzuki). That was a good step as the SV650 was my first road bike. The Bandit is actually very Busa like off the line it just starts weezing around 7,500 where the busa just gets madder and meaner. But I think someone who is really patient and intelligent can start with a Busa. I would not recommend a busa to someone who asked what is a good first bike, but it is doable with a little care.

The problem I find with the Busa versus the numerous 600 and 1000cc bikes that I've owned is that it is confidence inspiring in itself while being dangerous as hell with very little throttle input. For instance, a good 600 has to be run at the top of the RPM range to be in its power wheel house, keep a 600 below 7K RPMs and its pretty docile for the most part. When you step up to a good liter bike the power will come on nearly as soon as the Busa but they are a little flighty and they dont really inspire confidence because of their weight and you just know that it will beat your ass to death if you get outside your riding ability. Now this Busa, it is rock solid in feel, it has good breaks for something as big as it is, and it just invites you to spin up those RPMs. The problem is that you are right in its power wheel house as soon as you crack the throttle and there is a load of power there. A person can get way outside there riding ability in a hurry and it happens so fast that by the time you realize whats happening it has gotten too far out of control to recover and bad things are coming in a hurry. The torque produced by the Busa can get the best of any rider if it catches them napping and inexperienced riders (all riders actually)have to be very careful when applying power.

If you blokes think the Busa is 'scary', then you should not be riding it.

Simple.

There are 357,000 threads on this and just about every Busa site I have seen re the Bus as a first bike.....

The answer is always the same.

Entirely unsuitable.
I could not have put it better. So many times I have seen threads on this forum that are obviously questions from inexperienced and unskilled riders.

I have followed riders of superbikes who repeatedly and habitually pull in the clutch and comes to a complete stop at a light before clicking down through 4 or 5 gears while stopped. God help them if they ever have to be in the right gear to accelerate in an emergency to get out of trouble.

This bike, like all bikes, can go only as fast as you want it to. That's assuming, of course, that you have total control of your machine.

Too many people here don't!

In my opinion, folks who are new to the Hayabusa should be allowed to ask questions about the bike's characteristics here without being ridiculed and without having their experience called into question. You get experience by riding.
I don't recall anyone "ridiculing" you, but I did apparently touch a nerve. Your response answered my question and all I can do is wish you luck. The laws in this country should prevent inexperienced riders from riding superbikes as they do in England, but they don't, so you and everyone else has the right to swing their leg over 175hp and do as they please with it.

I wish you or anyone else no harm and, as I said, I hope the old saying "better lucky than good" holds true for you.

I have followed riders of superbikes who repeatedly and habitually pull in the clutch and comes to a complete stop at a light before clicking down through 4 or 5 gears while stopped. God help them if they ever have to be in the right gear to accelerate in an emergency to get out of trouble.

This is something they teach you in any basic MSF course, you don't need experience or skill to learn this.

I've yet to experience anything on the Busa that says "yup a newb shouldn't be on this bike." A little wrist control, an MSF course, and common sense will keep you safe. I made the mistake of "listening to the masses" when I purchased my first bike. If I had to do it again, I would have gotten what I wanted. YMMV

I have met a few people that bought a busa for their first bike. I think they may be the craziest people on the planet but they all survived and doing fine.
Riding a sportbike or almost any bike is all about the fuzzys.
Does it matter what size bike you buy? not really, it only matters that you take care,respect and admit to yourself that you need to take it easy and learn. We all started new at some age.

Well put. I'm a new bike owner, & new rider (really no experience), and after talking about bikes, & gathering advice & info, for 3 or 4 years before I got one, my start is on a 09' Busa (Bought a new silver/gray one). What you said is much appreciated.

Well put. I'm a new bike owner, & new rider (really no experience), and after talking about bikes, & gathering advice & info, for 3 or 4 years before I got one, my start is on a 09' Busa (Bought a new silver/gray one). What you said is much appreciated.

Him calling you crazy is much appreciated? :laugh: :poke:

Him calling you crazy is much appreciated? :laugh: :poke:

I took his crazy, to mean "gutsy"; ie taking that step, to bypass the smaller bikes, and take on the busa beast, but with much respect.

180 mph, on the busa (or any motorcycle) except on a track, now that's crazy, stupid, loco, whatever... (even on the interestate). I doubt my bike will ever see 140 mph; to each his own. My bike, was purchased for cruising, not for intense, insane speeds (while ocassionally, bursting the speed, under safe, clear conditions).

Well why even buy a busa then :rofl:??? Simple answer; because that's what I like. A beast that's pretty much kept on it's chain. :)

I've been riding for years. The 'busa is in a league of its own, truly. Every now and then I get a little happy on the throttle and my '07 reminds me that it's something special by walking out sideways. I love riding it and it's become the go-to when I walk out to the garage to decide what I'm going to take out for the day, but I'm glad I bought it at 34 and not as a starter when I was still invincible.

Respect it. Listen to it. Feel what it's telling you and it won't treat you poorly. Stupid hurts, be it on a 'busa or a 125. The difference is that the 'busa will let you get to the pain in a shorter span of time.

Thanks Josh, I like that. I'm 37yo (Wife, 3 children). I'm glad I got mine, in the calmer part of my life as well. I knew of the massive throttle power of the busa, when deciding on which sport bike to get, but the ride, handle & stability, that everyone claimed, is what sold me on it (besides it's looks; it's one sexy looking bike :)) Plus I'm 6' tall, 195 lbs; I think the busa fits me well.

That's all that matters, man. Three kids here also (one mine, two hers). Enjoy it and be safe.

Back