At What RPM Does "Oh My God Mode" Begin

MikesGSX1300RK9

Registered
:rofl:Put on some miles today to break in the new bike, and felt her out just a bit in first gear. Could probably have brought her over the top of me if I'd not had a grip on the handlebars...

A mode is usually fairly sane at the RPMs I typically ride, but I bumped up a little higher than I should have today purely because I wasn't looking at the gauge. At what RPM does the bike really begin to pull?

Obviously, need to stay well South of that limit till break in, but want to be prepared if and when I ever do decide to let her rip.

Also, under absolute full power, what are the chances that

a) the back wheel will break loose on a dry public road, or,
b) you'll wheelie the sonoffagun right on over your head?

Mode B might be safest for my intents and purposes...

Thanks,

Mike

about 4k pulls hard, 8k is scary. just be careful. don't loop it.

I can fairly well attest that I wasn't anywhere near 8k. Probably more like an inadvertent 6k. Had motored in first gear from a stop sign for a bit longer than normal and didn't realize I had her spun up so high.

Mode B will be sufficient till I feel things out for awhile... have seen some Youtube vids of folks looping smaller bikes... Yikes!

i kept it cool when i broke mine in and wasn't too impressed until i hit the 7k marker, then wow! i dig the mode selector for rainy days (C) or (B) when i get a little fatigued and shifting starts to get sloppy.

I am 6'0" and 225. In a 2nd gear full throttle roll (not snapping it open) on from 50mph my bikes starts to loft the tire around 7 grand.

I forgot the bike even has that drive mode thingy - really no need, unless you cannot control your throttle hand without intervention.

Mike, may I ask how much experience you have? I don't mean to be rude mate, but I'm not sure anyone who asks this question should be riding this bike. The Busa can be a monster to be sure, but only if you want it to be!

I have met a few people that bought a busa for their first bike. I think they may be the craziest people on the planet but they all survived and doing fine.
Riding a sportbike or almost any bike is all about the fuzzys.
Does it matter what size bike you buy? not really, it only matters that you take care,respect and admit to yourself that you need to take it easy and learn. We all started new at some age.

my first bike. love it. too bad i missed the entire riding season this year :duh:

Boost starts at 4 and its at redline n spining tire almost before you can shift..
:) priceless!!!!!!!!!!!!

hey ktw im originally from illinois. What part? i lived in peoria,springfield,normal,bloomington,mackinaw,morton,champaigne,chicago,weatland, hell i think almost every town:) i also agree by the way a beginning rider has no business on this bike.

rubbish. have a healthy fear and respect, and this porky lady will do more for you than any slim literbike could ever hope for. you can ride her harder, faster, and longer.

the yee haw begins (for me anyway) at about 5k, and i can feel a slight power drop right before redline (on the tac).
in alot of cases your wrist controls your traction. you can modulate power and spin the tire or wheelie when ever you want/or don't want to. take your time, :poke: you do have full coverage. :whistle: just a small drop can set you back $2k.:whistle:
and :poke:do you know how to get to Carnegie Hall?:laugh:

I have met a few people that bought a busa for their first bike. I think they may be the craziest people on the planet but they all survived and doing fine.
Riding a sportbike or almost any bike is all about the fuzzys.
Does it matter what size bike you buy? not really, it only matters that you take care,respect and admit to yourself that you need to take it easy and learn. We all started new at some age.

I agree with you 100% :thumbsup:

Mike, may I ask how much experience you have? I don't mean to be rude mate, but I'm not sure anyone who asks this question should be riding this bike. The Busa can be a monster to be sure, but only if you want it to be!

Critterdoc, I am very, very well aware of just how "bad" the Busa can be. I asked the question so that I can try to avoid surprises on the public roads I ride and because I want to stay safe.

With regard to the Busa specifically, I have four months' of relatively infrequent riding experience on the bike, so have been feeling her out slowly. Most of my riding is early on weekend mornings before traffic picks up. Some of that riding has been in the local junior college parking lot, practicing MSF maneuvers, and I intend to continue said practice.

In my opinion, folks who are new to the Hayabusa should be allowed to ask questions about the bike's characteristics here without being ridiculed and without having their experience called into question. You get experience by riding. Every single one of us on this site can be overwhelmed by any variety of situations and come out with battle wounds. Every single one of us must accept the fact that LUCK plays into the riding equation, sometimes in larger proportions that we'd like to admit. The key is exercising good judgment while riding, respecting the bike, and following good safety practices.

I almost fell off my bicycle a month ago. The last time I fell off my bicycle was 23 years ago because of rain and an anti-freeze slick in a gas station parking lot. Does that mean I should give up bicycling because a 20 pound bicycle is too big for me, or because I can't control it? Obviously, a racing bicycle ain't the same as a 600 pound motorcycle, but you get the point. Best we can do is exercise good judgment and common sense, gear up, and study up on (and practice on) safe riding techniques.

Mike

I good thing to know is no matter how much things get out of control with the front end in the air a tap on the rear brake will bring the front end down. Learn to lift the front end with the throttle (not by jerking at the bars like you can on smaller bikes or shifting your weight) and keep your legs planted on the pegs so you can control the bike.

It's a good idea to ride the Busa in a higher gear than normal until you get used to it. You can pull from a stop light in second gear no problem. It's very easy to break the rear wheel lose on the Busa in 1st through 3rd gears. Make sure the bike is up-right before dropping the hammer until you really get the feel of the power/throttle.

It's really not how much throttle but rather how you roll it on. Always roll the Busa's throttle on smooth, don't bang it open like you do on smaller bikes. The Busa loves the smooth rider and will punish a jerky one.

Also remember that slowing down is much harder than speeding up on the busa. It's a big heavy bike that can build serious volecity quick. Practice stopping and practice slowing down (say 70 to 30 mph). Careful on the rear brake because it will lock up easy. If you lock the rear brake don't let it go, the rear end will squirm but it will follow the front more or less. Never lock the front as all control is lost unless you are an expert.

In many ways the Busa is an easy bike to ride. The big thing is to respect it and to take your time with it. If you work the controls smoothly, nothing crazy will happen - other than building a smooth acceleration to warp speed that is:laugh:

Back