08 ZX14 vs's 08 Busa on dyno..

Dozerdriver

Registered
Today at HPC we compared the 08 ZX14 against the 08 Busa. Both bikes have the same exhaust and a Bazzaz unit. Not sure about the air filter but close enough. Greg set up both bikes the same way and tuned them each. The Busa produced 184.22 hp and 107.46 tq SAE ... the ZX was 179.73 hp and 105.85 tq SAE. It was a fun day at HPC...Thanks Greg.

1106091024.jpg

1106091313a.jpg

1106091952.jpg

1106091049.jpg

That sounds great! I just spent a day on my dealerships dyno and it was about 12hp shy of what other dynos read, a common complaint from riders who show up for the once a year dyno shootout and they are always 12hp shy no matter the brand or displacement of the bikes. They read 158hp when my bike was stock, which rates at 174hp stock from other dynos.

It only showed 176 hp corrected for my VMax when it should have said 188hp + ...but maybe I'll try the local Performance shop who also has a dyno. Others are pushing 195hp with the same mods as I have.

Those numbers are impressive no matter if it's a 14 or a Busa. I'm pushing for 200 rwhp with no motor work or NOS.

Oooooooh, was waiting for this thread, heard about it early this AM. Figured it would turn negative. Give it time.
Posted via Mobile Device

Like we didn't know what the outcome would be !!?? And I know Greg is all about BOTH bikes ! Nice !:laugh:

My 14, an 08 SE just with PCV custom map and tune with full yosh r-77 did 185.6 my 09 silve full yosh r-55 pcv and custom map done by same tuner did 181......it all depends on the bike....both bikes are beasts..but the busa still the king:thumbsup:

That sounds great! I just spent a day on my dealerships dyno and it was about 12hp shy of what other dynos read, a common complaint from riders who show up for the once a year dyno shootout and they are always 12hp shy no matter the brand or displacement of the bikes. They read 158hp when my bike was stock, which rates at 174hp stock from other dynos.

It only showed 176 hp corrected for my VMax when it should have said 188hp + ...but maybe I'll try the local Performance shop who also has a dyno. Others are pushing 195hp with the same mods as I have.

Those numbers are impressive no matter if it's a 14 or a Busa. I'm pushing for 200 rwhp with no motor work or NOS.

You spoke about the motor being detuned from close to 400 in one post. I could never find any info to support that, but was interested if you can throw up a link or two.

You spoke about the motor being detuned from close to 400 in one post. I could never find any info to support that, but was interested if you can throw up a link or two.

Actually it was reported in a motorcycle mag as well as various bike related journals. I just did a Google search for Otodama Vmax engine and it resulted in a couple of articles.

Just type in "Otodama" "Vmax" and see what pops up in your window.

Oh, I never said 400hp.......I read one article that said they posted 337hp on the Yamaha dyno but decided no way would they manufacture a bike with that much hp for a legal street bike, and that was when the engine was 1800 cc's. They took it down a notch and made it 1700 instead. I have the Yamaha VMax developement book they gave all of us who bought new VMax's and it's a coffee table sort.

It's early and I just got up.........so maybe you can do some looking instead of me. :whistle:

Oh here's a dyno sheet showing what I should have done, instead of using my dealers dyno which is way off! I have the same mods so it runs really well.

http://www.starvmax.com/community/photos/photo?albumid=166&photoid=1858&userid=63#photoid=1858

But like I said earlier.............those numbers are great and both bikes are near the same performance wise.

Last edited:
It was kind of interesting. We removed the air filter from Dozerdrivers Busa and I tuned it by free-hand to best power. Turned out to be around a 13.3 AFR on this bike. We threw the KN RACE filter back in and the AFR fatten up and power dropped, less air. Re-tuned again to a 13.3-13.4 AFR with filter in and got the same power numbers as with it out. So filter testing has a new meaning now. The ZX-14 was tuned using the Bazzaz auto tune. Fun day at work...

Last edited:
I also got to run heads up against auto tune..I think free hand does the better job IMHO. Also testing myself to see if I can actually tune.

Last edited:
So to wrap up this process. As we have been a custom to learn "it is what it is"... this is a very telling tail of the FORD/CHEVY no matter when it still gets people fired up..Busa/14. Having a business built on just these two sportbikes is fun, challenging and sometimes overwhelming. All the mods....all the options, some work on both, some don't. When the smoke clears there is still a road...enjoy the ride. GPW ...imagine the ZX-14 with a 2MM stroke and another 20 HP...WOW

Last edited:
Back