InfiniteReality's Gen3 Build

I forgot to mention I've been talking with Brock's adjustable links. I do not think they are correct due to not being able to make them as short as possible due to the bolt being too long. As it sits:

OEM dogbone = 4.7"
Shortest on the adjustable link is 5.7"

There's another 1/4" on each side that could be turned in had the bolt been short enough, so these Brock's adjustable links could be shortened another 1/2" total which would be enough height to at least mount the rear. I could easily cut the bolt to shorten, but it's a gamble if I'll have enough adjustment available to get the rear set where I want it so handles like I want.

Who knows outcome with Brock's or when, so Monday I ordered SAE brand set of adjustables after talking with SAE to confirm fitment for drop I'm after. One thing I definitely like about SAE is they are fine threads, unlike Brock's, so they are stronger US made, not China as well. They don't look as fancy, no window, but they'll be useful at least. Hoping just to return these.

Located another titanium welder and willing to do it. Time to chop the mid-pipe down, align and bring it to him to full weld together. When done it'll slip on the header, just like it should.

Wife got the stomach bug so not much accomplished. She's never sick, much less twice but kinda glad it was now since need the trim and lowering links situated. Painter is having problems finding the white paint code, half way expected it. He's trying DuPont and if no luck, it'll be pepperdust I guess.

Couple more stainless black hardware came in. Black 18-8 stainless steel allenheads for the rear axle covers and socketheads for the gas lid and it's trim.

With help of Adam, I was able to determine few things.
- Adjustable links are shortest length possible (highest bike can go) and are 1" longer than stock.

- My bike sits, with the stock wheel at stock wheel base, 5" lower than stock when according to their site it should be 1.5"

I don't blame Brock's at this point because it's way more likely it's something I did.... I fought the shock but don't feel like I damaged it. There's a heavy duty spring on it now, but height matched the stock one. Anyone have any ideas, I'm at a loss.

PXL_20220609_014338671.jpg

I have to drill and tap some holes in the frame to mount the new bottle holder. There's an 1/4" offset for the bottom holes and had the idea to make my life easier and had the time to quickly model it last night. With the part in hand, I can level/align it on my arm and then use as the guide for the drill bit to make sure they go in straight as well.

Image1.jpg

No luck on body color boomerangs using their dealership mixing Sikkki (or something like that) and thru DuPont. I'm not patient enough at this point to order from color rite, so they're going pepperdust like the other trim. Can always revisit down the road if I hate them that color.

Went to go pick everything this afternoon, as soon as I see my stuff I notice gloss black grills and think crap, lol. Then I notice gloss on the trim too, just my luck, lol. Looks awesome, but my painter said as he was spraying he 2nd guessed himself but he should have double checked. Not the end of the world, totally understand stuff happens. At least its just a scuff, reclear and oven time. Hope to have it all Saturday, fingers crossed. I did get to take them in the sun to check out the full color. The gloss looked great on the color, but satin I think will be exactly the shade I am after.... If anyone is curious how much it would cost to repaint trim a different color... I paid $350 to get the trim repainted, paint grills black and tint 4 lights.

I did take all my lights home at least, so will be able to start the bike soon (still had gauge cluster wiring on it) and burp the radiator.

If I get trim Saturday and sort out this 5in drop in the rear when it should be only 1.5", may be able to have it back together and take for a short test ride after going back thru and torquing all bolts.

Thanks to another member selling their jacket in my size, I was able to get a pre-order jacket. Fits as expected, jacket feels way more high quality than my Icon 1000 leather jacket.

Feel like this whole week has been a waste, but a nice break and ready to get it finished so I can quit typing these essays, lol

PXL_20220610_012140123.jpg

PXL_20220610_012127446.jpg

PXL_20220610_012319212.jpg

PXL_20220610_011118773.jpg

PXL_20220610_011128089.jpg

Started to grow tired of the Mickey Mouse work ethics I've had all this week while waiting on trim (Monday) and stuff to arrive, but today I feel like I accomplished somethings.

The welder had time this afternoon so buckled down and got the exhaust chopped, fitted, aligned and marked. Kid and I took off with it to go visit him.

Bottle mount arrived, very impressed with quality. Zero concern of losing the bottle and as a surprise they apparently started powdercoating their bracket black.

With mount in hand, decided to redraw my drilling template so I could use their existing holes and sent to the 3D printer. Will drill and tap holes tomorrow and mount. I did not need the radiator bracket spacers on my bike and coincidentally are same height I need to flush mount the bottle bracket. I'll use some satin black vinyl to put on the face of the strap to, of course, eliminate any shiny stuff.

ProGrips installed per recommendations and looking forward to testing them out soon.

Still waiting on chain guard, so painted bar ends satin black till it comes in and get everything powdercoated. Also sprayed the bottle valve body.

And no exhaust is complete without some video. Cold start, idle down, revs. Even 3.5yrs between busas, very surprised how noticable the tone/pitch difference is with the titanium. For me, it definitely was worth the extra $300ish over the Yoshi system.

No muffler

GSXR1K muffler

PXL_20220610_151209272.jpg

PXL_20220610_151526687.jpg

PXL_20220610_151142650.jpg

PXL_20220610_220132130.jpg

PXL_20220610_220315553.jpg

PXL_20220611_011858173.jpg

PXL_20220611_011911459.jpg

PXL_20220611_015857399.jpg

Chain guard finally arrived so drilled and tapped holes in the arm to mount it.

New adjustable links came in early so measured them and are identical to OEM. I purposely lowered it before the exhaust so I could change them out myself, but now I can't (with confidence). Had my neighbor come over and straddle bike so I could get the new ones on. This is 3rd busa I lowered and by far this was the most sketchy swapping these links out due to have to get the rear 5in higher

Used my 3D template to get the bottle mount centered as well as making sure the drill stayed straight.

And then, in good weather and 10pm we lose power so had to stop. I hope to get the wheel and rear caliper mounted tomorrow and bleed the brakes. Don't see any issues with this project being finished by next weekend.

PXL_20220612_013107238.jpg

PXL_20220612_021957576.jpg

PXL_20220612_023044412.jpg

Reassembling trim on the fairings wasn't as bad, I expected I'd struggle a bit with recalling how to put them back together. It's still amazing that the rear cowl has more screws than any other part of the body.

All decals definitely will come off, there is quite a difference in color between them and the trim now. Not entirely sure if I'll leave them off, replace in kind with a color that matches (or contrasts) better or do my own thing with them. I'll figure that out once it's on the road again, in meantime I'll take measurements to locate new decals and remove the stock ones

Better shot of the lightly tinted lights on the nose, notice how the chrome reflectors are slightly muted instead standing out (at least to me) against the white.

Chain guard, bar ends and bottle are at powdercoat, will have before the weekend although none is actually needed to ride.

Like I said previously, the green wheels are not the best color against the trim color. Bronze 100% would have looked better on the bike as a whole, but I wanted to try something unique. I still plan to refinish wheels every tire change so they may get to be bronze at some point.

While it appears there is not much left, there is a handful of small things that'll take some time to finish. I'm pushing to be able to ride it to work this coming Monday.

PXL_20220613_204025352.jpg

PXL_20220613_230222350.jpg

PXL_20220613_230214818.jpg

PXL_20220613_234216404.jpg

PXL_20220614_025910247.jpg

PXL_20220614_030533652.jpg

PXL_20220613_204152988.jpg

Only had 15min this evening to do something so I grabbed the other half of the Brock's mid-pipe to tinker with bluing it to get a feel for how much heat it takes. I did not polish the pipe prior since it was a test. While I think it's cool looking, I'm unsure about doing it on mine. It's kind of like underglow.... I think it's cool looking if done right (hidden) but not something I'd actually have on my own vehicle. That being said, I am a little tempted to just make it a dark golden color from when it exists fairing to inlet of muffler.

For kicks, here's the comparison of the stock wheel/tire/cush vs the 240. It was a given it weighed more, but kind of shocked by how much rotational mass increased.

In hindsight I wish I had weighed my bike while stock, but I do plan to weigh it when done and use Suzuki's claimed weight

PXL_20220615_004712560.jpg

PXL_20220615_004752542.jpg

PXL_20220615_004935020.jpg

PXL_20220615_005020131.jpg

Only had 15min this evening to do something so I grabbed the other half of the Brock's mid-pipe to tinker with bluing it to get a feel for how much heat it takes. I did not polish the pipe prior since it was a test. While I think it's cool looking, I'm unsure about doing it on mine. It's kind of like underglow.... I think it's cool looking if done right (hidden) but not something I'd actually have on my own vehicle. That being said, I am a little tempted to just make it a dark golden color from when it exists fairing to inlet of muffler.

For kicks, here's the comparison of the stock wheel/tire/cush vs the 240. It was a given it weighed more, but kind of shocked by how much rotational mass increased.

In hindsight I wish I had weighed my bike while stock, but I do plan to weigh it when done and use Suzuki's claimed weight

View attachment 1652331

View attachment 1652332

View attachment 1652333

View attachment 1652334
Wow! 16lbs is significant increase. @c10 right eye will probably start twitching at this. :laugh:

Wow! 16lbs is significant increase. @c10 right eye will probably start twitching at this. :laugh:

I bet he's not the only one, lol. I need to go look up tire weight differences, curious to see how much of that 16.6lbs is tire. Good or bad, full transparency with this bike "build".

One thing that occurred to me the other day is I think I'm one of the few (or maybe only) knuckleheads on this forum running a wide tire Gen3. I'm glad everyone hasn't run me off here for it, lol.

Per Google:

OEM tire: 16.36lbs
Avon tire: 21.8lbs

Won't manually be turning my exhaust blue, will let it happen naturally. I'm already thinking how I can hide the bluing, sounds like a good project to design/model an exhaust shield compression mold and see if I can create a carbon shield.

I got sidetracked this morning, for some reason I was curious when I signed up for this forum (10/24/06) and started looking through old posts I made back then. Apparently I made a post about using the projector high beam as the DRL on my Gen1, never would have guessed 16yrs later I'd still be doing the same thing on a Gen3.

Also found my Gen2 3 month build inside my old house. I miss the days of working in the AC.

Also found a couple scans I made of a short write-up of both the Gen1 and Gen2 that were in the reader's ride of a magazine. Yes I was not married when I built the Gen2 in the living room, although a few months later I was married (and we still are, I may add).

BusaArticle.jpg

InSSBFeb2011-1.jpg

When power goes out and you only have 1hr of alone time to work on the bike... Out comes generator.

Lots of stuff going on all week and this weekend but hope to pull a late night tomorrow so I can go thru to verify everything is torqued correctly. Cut and install the chain, align wheel and finally take it off the rear stand so I can roll the front wheel out of it's chock. Saturday I'll make a couple short rides to verify cooling system is burped and install the fairings.

Lots of little things I still will do/change, but need to start a list for myself. #1 is to remove all decals. I probably will replace the kanji on the sides in trim matched vinyl, I have been kicking around the idea to 3d model an actual, slightly raised, emblem of the Hayabusa lettering and get a pair resin printed. Think of the "S" emblems on the tank of a Gen2, albeit no chrome.

PXL_20220616_231410086.jpg

PXL_20220616_225601956.jpg

Last edited:
When power goes out and you only have 1hr of alone time to work on the bike... Out comes generator.

Lots of stuff going on all week and this weekend but hope to pull a late night tomorrow so I can go thru to verify everything is torqued correctly. Cut and install the chain, align wheel and finally take it off the rear stand so I can roll the front wheel out of it's chock. Saturday I'll make a couple short rides to verify cooling system is burped and install the fairings.

Lots of little things I still will do/change, but need to start a list for myself. #1 is to remove all decals. I probably will replace the kanji on the sides in trim matched vinyl, I have been kicking around the idea to 3d model an actual, slightly raised, emblem of the Hayabusa lettering and get a pair resin printed. Think of the "S" emblems on the tank of a Gen2, albeit no chrome.

View attachment 1652389

View attachment 1652390
Is that rotor part of the gen3’s new engine brake system? :poke:

Weather looked pretty nasty.

View attachment 1652389

View attachment 1652390

At least your help showed up, I see her jeep parked outside.

Back