Son learning to drive: F1 car ok?

his point is there is a difference between being capable of riding the bike and actually having total control of said bike

some folks are happy with just being able to go down the street without crashing, others want to be able to make the bike do what they want it do when they want it do it.

I think this is maybe where I am making an assumption that is off base. I assume that people want to be able to ride well, to go through the twisties at speed, to avoid obstacles and hazards, to have control of their bike. I guess some riders are just happy going up and down straight streets to the local bike night and then back home. Different strokes for different folks.

ok, whats a good starter bike?

maybe instead of trying to asses everyone elses skill level, we should help them.

its been my exp, people that dont know how to operate safely, wont operate safely in anything.

m not saying every noob needs to go out and get a busa, but i think a busa is a better decision than alot of people the jump on brand new liter bikes right off the bat.

people that make up their mind about buying something are usually gonna do that, bashing them or trying to use sarcasm to make fun of them isnt helping them or your inflated ego.

maybe you guys in here should chill and enjoy your bikes, let everyone else do the same, and help each other if you can.

maybe instead of trying to asses everyone elses skill level, we should help them.

its been my exp, people that dont know how to operate safely, wont operate safely in anything.

m not saying every noob needs to go out and get a busa, but i think a busa is a better decision than alot of people the jump on brand new liter bikes right off the bat.

people that make up their mind about buying something are usually gonna do that, bashing them or trying to use sarcasm to make fun of them isnt helping them or your inflated ego.

maybe you guys in here should chill and enjoy your bikes, let everyone else do the same, and help each other if you can.

I'm not sure what your point is? Litre bikes are a horrible choice as well. It's like saying is it better to burn your self with hot coffee or hot tea? I'm not bashing anybody as I started this thread myself....there is no focus on any forum member. The whole point was that new riders come on here asking for advice about starting out with a Busa and most long time riders tell them not to and then the new riders with 6 months experience is telling them to go for it! That is kind of frustrating. It isn't about ego it's about safety. If I didn't care about the new riders safety I wouldn't even comment on this issue no matter how many times it comes up in a week. True, some will just do what they want no matter what advice they get but some really are interested in gathering information and knowledge and at times its very difficult to tell one type from the other on a forum.

I figured this was all just an open discussion... nothing really being accomplished just some opinion sharing.

Good starting bikes imho... with sportbiking in mind.

ex-250, GS500, ex-500, sv-650, ninja 650r.. these might even be too much for some. If you get them sprung for your weight they'll do ok even if your a bigger rider.

I'm not sure what your point is? Litre bikes are a horrible choice as well. It's like saying is it better to burn your self with hot coffee or hot tea? I'm not bashing anybody as I started this thread myself....there is no focus on any forum member. The whole point was that new riders come on here asking for advice about starting out with a Busa and most long time riders tell them not to and then the new riders with 6 months experience is telling them to go for it! That is kind of frustrating. It isn't about ego it's about safety. If I didn't care about the new riders safety I wouldn't even comment on this issue no matter how many times it comes up in a week. True, some will just do what they want no matter what advice they get but some really are interested in gathering information and knowledge and at times its very difficult to tell one type from the other on a forum.

every time (not here) someone says get a smaller bike, the person wanting the busa 14r or whatever automatically clings to the 1k. that was kinda my deal. everyone says start smaller but not where.

dangerous people are just dangerous on anything. the one thing that is about the same is becoming too comfortable. like ive seen mulitiple times on a gsxr 6 or whatever 600 they choose. people cut themselves more often with a dull knife rather than a sharp one. true you can get in more trouble quicker with a bigger/larger bike like a busa, but to use your analogy of hot coffee as a busa, maybe a 600 to some people is hot chocolate. ever heard of someone getting burned with it? probably a few out there.

kinda feel like im ramblin a bit, but you can get hurt on anything, we'd probably be a better help to tell them why a smaller bike can make you a better rider vs. youre too inexperienced to run the big bikes...

i didnt mean anything to be taken personal, just seems the guys that hammer on issues come across as above it, listen or else types. i understand its not meant that way because its the internetz. but alot of people dont.

I figured this was all just an open discussion... nothing really being accomplished just some opinion sharing.

Good starting bikes imho... with sportbiking in mind.

ex-250, GS500, ex-500, sv-650, ninja 650r.. these might even be too much for some. If you get them sprung for your weight they'll do ok even if your a bigger rider.

^those are all good bikes, rarely ever get mentioned in these types of threads. i even tell people to get a slightly rashed early 2000 late 90s 600. lot less power than todays, weigh more, easily repaired for the garage and driveway drops. and generally you can beat the snot out of them and if its used up when your done you can sell it for about what you have in it. instead of buyin a brand new bike to learn on. which is what i believe what leads people to buying outside of their skillset. they dont want to waste money and grow into it, but its not a pair of shoes.

You will have different areas of focus on a small bike and you will be much less likely to get yourself into a situation that might end your life in an instant. Why did you buy the Busa? I assume its cause you want to go really, really, really fast because thats what the Busa does.

Well you know what they say about assumptions. . . No. You're wrong. I didn't get the busa because I want to go "really really really fast." That's not the only thing the busa does. . . I got it because I wanted to be able to do some longer rides, but I still wanted a sport bike, and the busa is way more comfortable than other sport bikes. I don't go balls to the wall every time I hop on. I don't ride fast on unknown roads. I don't even ride fast on roads I do know without scouting for down branches, sand, gravel, etc. that could be a problem. Do I like the fact that it can go fast when I want it to? Of course I do. What busa owner doesn't? But does that mean I'm dumb enough to ride outside my limit or use every available ounce of that power on a road I'm not familiar with? Of course not. You still haven't answered my question. . . Do you, or do you not believe that skills are acquired faster on a smaller bike?

his point is there is a difference between being capable of riding the bike and actually having total control of said bike

some folks are happy with just being able to go down the street without crashing, others want to be able to make the bike do what they want it do when they want it do it.

I see what his point is. He's made the same point several different times without ever answering my question. I know there's a difference in being able to ride, and being able to ride well. And yes, I'm one of those who wants to be able to make the bike do what I want it to do, when I want it to do it. But guess what? I CAN make the bike do what I want it to do, when I want it to do it, and I don't ride in a way that would change that (riding fast on unknown roads, for example). In the end it all comes down to the rider. How quickly they learn, how well they take advice on form and things like that from other riders, more skilled than they are, how much time and effort they put into learning, etc. And that's true whether you're on a busa, a 1000, a 600, a 500, a 250. . . . Whatever.

I got my busa cuz I'm so durn tall its the only thing I fit on.
Kinda wish Suzi made a Busa sized 600.
Although I have had like 20 bikes in my life it had nothing to do with skill and everything to do with comfort.

I also have another question. What was your first bike, and what was the most powerful production bike out at the time?

I also have another question. What was your first bike, and what was the most powerful production bike out at the time?

I kind of stumbled into motorcycles I picked up a 500r/ex-500 from my brother. Had a good time on it picked up my busa shortly thereafter. This was in 2008 so I'm guessing it was the badest mama jama out there. Sort of a mistake, but I don't regret it.

I kind of stumbled into motorcycles I picked up a 500r/ex-500 from my brother. Had a good time on it picked up my busa shortly thereafter. This was in 2008 so I'm guessing it was the badest mama jama out there. Sort of a mistake, but I don't regret it.

I'm gonna be completely honest. That question was more directed at bazooki. I could be wrong, but from comments he's made he seems like his been around motorcycles for quite a while (calling himself a "long time rider" etc.). I'd just like to know what the most powerful thing was that could have been purchased when he got his first street bike, and what his first bike was.

I got talked into my Busa as my first bike owned (was told if I was going to do a lot of 2-up riding this was the 1 for me). I rode many bikes, many times. If I had to do it all over again I would NOT get the Busa as my first bike. BUT THAT'S JUST ME ! I've been riding daily since I got my 06 new in August of 06. Riding my brothers 600 I am in WAY more control of that bike than my own in the tight stuff (twisty's), any other road there's no difference. I do think the Busa is a lot more forgiving than the 1000's. Kept under 5k (rpm) the Busa is pretty tame.

The thing that makes me think I'd go with a 600 now as a first bike (that I owned, not rode) is when I see pictures like the 1's of Macon454 riding 2-up with 1 foot, 1 hand off the bike, dragging a knee waving to the camera.....:bowdown: I wonder if I'd been riding a bike that I felt 100% confident on for the past 4 years if I'd be a better rider ? I was very intimidated on my Hayabusa when I got it. I think that's what has kept me alive so far. I think it comes down to what Keith Code refers to as Survival Reactions, I call it when something happens, and you panic, and are no longer in control, just along for the ride. I think it would be easier to get into these on a Busa, than a 250, or a GS500, JMO

Last edited:
I think the best place to start is offroad in the dirt. Here you learn all about bike control on all different kinds of surfaces with different amounts of grip. All the inputs and reactions to control the bike becomes instinct. Then once you are on the road if things go pear shaped you are in a much better place to recover. Look at where most of the current motogp guys have come from. Hayden, Stoner, Rossi, and past legends Doohan Rainey Swantz. All started out on the dirt.

Ok, so then you don't think skills are learned faster on smaller bikes?

I absolutely believe that. Don't confuse being able to drag hard parts on the street with being skillfull. Take you Busa to the track sometime and you'll see the difference.

I absolutely believe that. Don't confuse being able to drag hard parts on the street with being skillfull. Take you Busa to the track sometime and you'll see the difference.

+100

In relation to the question of what my first bike was. I learned to ride a two wheeler with a motor on a Z50 and then an XL125. My first streetbike that I actually owned was a Yamaha Seca 550 which I think made around 60-65 hp and it was the second fastest 550 available at the time behind the KZ550. Since then I have owned GS750s, RZ's, GSXR's, and I have spent time on the fastest rides of the day in the FJ1100 and GS1150. My guess is that in 82 the fastest ride was probably the big GS and/or the original Katana.

I guess I'm the only one on here that's tired of the "BUSA AS A BEGINNER BIKE?" threads......

Heck, I couldn't even get mine outta the garage without going over! Never did that with my first bike... and had the new one less than a week (101 miles!) before dropping it.

Gotta go back to Kindergarten now...

Grrrrrrrr... :banghead:

i learned to ride on this...

xr75ko.jpg

Back