Son learning to drive: F1 car ok?

I for one will never get tired of someone taking their time to ask for advice, especially on advice that might save their lives. As redundant as the topic is,it's a person's well being that is factored on the responses. :thumbsup:

Not like I haven't been driving around in cars on the streets that make way more horsepower than F1 cars

man what the hell have you been driving around in? A high hp street car is not quite the same as a purpose built race machine. Not trying to come off as a jerk but...Bazooki did say he had actually open wheel racing/track experience. Just saying...

As far as this never ending argument on whether the busa is a good beginner bike or not. Use some sense.. it's not. Can it be managed? Maybe..I don't really think there is a formula so to speak that will lead you to a yes or no answer for whether you are ready for one or not. I think there should be a certain amount of proficiency in a number of skills, or at least a recognition of these skills before one picks up a high performance motorcycle. It may takes days, weeks, months or years to develop the skills needed to safely pilot a bikes such as these. The biggest problem we have with the folks getting in over there heads on these amazing machines is people just are not honest with themselves on what they can handle and not cognoscente of their own mortality.

Yes you can get a Busa as a first bike and take it easy and not kill yourself. Dropping it in the garage learning to move bikes around can be very expensive with a Busa. You'll learn more faster riding a slow bike fast than you will a fast bike slow.

I'm not sure why there are a couple of people getting their panties in a bunch over this thread, but keep it civil.

As long as you understand the risks and understand there's a learning curve and that you shouldn't expect to be a pro the first time you plant your butt in the saddle, there's not a problem with it...

I jumped on a busa pretty quick after learning to ride with pretty much the same attitude and it worked out great for me, but not so well for a few of my friends. Seeing the way things have worked out for them has lead me to give more conservative advice when folks want to get into riding.

I jumped on a busa pretty quick after learning to ride with pretty much the same attitude and it worked out great for me, but not so well for a few of my friends. Seeing the way things have worked out for them has lead me to give more conservative advice when folks want to get into riding.

One of my friends had a zx6 for about 5 months. That was the first bike I ever rode. I tooled around on it around his house maybe once or twice a week, but that was it. So suffice it to say I had about 20-30 rides under my belt before getting the busa. Worked out just fine. I've read a lot of threads on here about proper cornering form and things like that that have severely improved my riding since I got the bike almost 3 years ago. Am I a pro? No. Not by a long shot. Have I had any track time? No. But as far as spirited street riding goes, I can hold my own pretty well (without riding over my limit) with people that have about the same amount of seat time as I have (whether they started on a busa or something smaller). It's a debate that will never end, but usually my advice on the subject depends on the person. If it's someone I know and know I don't have to worry about them killing themselves due to stupidity, I say go for it. Otherwise I usually still say go for it, just with the appropriate warnings attached...

Oh man you FOLLOWED F1? Better bow down to your superiority. Not like I haven't been driving around in cars on the streets that make way more horsepower than F1 cars, and I'm only 22. I apparently I don't know **** because you watched some professionals race on TV. You win.

Whoa, we have a winner....a 22 yr old who already knows everything!:lol: You drive cars that make 1200 hp? Cause thats what the old Renault RE30 Turbo used to make. Guess you're too young to know that? Learn to read kid and you might learn something. There is more to riding bikes than surviving and more to skills than being able to get the bike from your laneway to the local donut shop for a show-and-shine to swap bs with your buddies. Maybe when you known riders who have ridden off the outside of corners into fences, or guardrails, or ditches, or trees then you will realize that it isn't just about being stupid and reckless. Some people just get killed because they don't have experience and gaining experience is all about putting miles on the bike and being exposed to situations that come up in traffic or out on the highway or on a set of twisties. You can get yourself killed without doing anything stupid just because you lack the skills and experience to handle certain situations. But you have all the answers right....I think I did too when I was 22 and I almost ate the back end of a trailer that had no working brake lights. I was lucky that day and I learned from it.

You can get yourself killed without doing anything stupid just because you lack the skills and experience to handle certain situations.... Regardless of what bike you're riding.

Not having the skills has nothing to do with the bike you're riding. . . If you have 3 months experience on a busa or 3 months experience on a 600, you still have 3 months experience. . . Saying someone has more skill because they ride a smaller bike is ridiculous.

Your all a bunch of sissies and my son Adam will whip any of ya'
Hes got open wheel experience too....:rofl:
So nanny nanny boo boo...:poke:

Adams new four wheeler 011.1.JPG

Not having the skills has nothing to do with the bike you're riding. . . If you have 3 months experience on a busa or 3 months experience on a 600, you still have 3 months experience. . . Saying someone has more skill because they ride a smaller bike is ridiculous.

Think it through. More powerful bikes get you into trouble at a much faster rate than less powerful bikes. One of the main reasons so many riders get killed in single vehicle accidents is because they were going too fast and end up going off the road usually in a corner. That happens more often on sportbikes because they accelerate so hard and new riders have a hard time estimating braking points on the road and they don't have the experience to know how to get around corners at speed. You have to work pretty hard on a small bike to get into danger zones when it comes to speed whereas on a bike like the Busa or litrebike it is alarmingly easy. This is basic physics. Don't confuse being able to operate a bike with being able to ride a bike well. Nowadays some people claim they can drive a car but they don't know how to operate a manual transmission. There are different levels of skill and you should have a pretty high level of skill before your ride a high performance bike. You might be able to ride it to the local mall but does that mean you are a good rider?

Saying someone has more skill because they ride a smaller bike is ridiculous.

^I think you are the only one who said that?

Last edited:
Actually ( and completely believing that a busa is NOT a beginners bike) my girlfriend took the riding course and only rode a 250cc, then came home and jumped on my 08 granted it was in c mode and i made her ride around the block first, but now after a little seat time she can ride it quite well. She even took it out on the highway with me and did very well for the first time. I do not think a 16 year old should ride a busa for a first bike.
martin.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Saying someone has more skill because they ride a smaller bike is ridiculous.

^I think you are the only one who said that?

Actually, that's what you've been saying the whole time. Saying everyone needs to start on a smaller bike because they'll learn the skills faster IS saying that (for example) someone who's been riding for a year on a busa can't possibly have the same skill as someone who's been riding a 600 for a year (given they were both first bikes)...

Actually ( and completely believing that a busa is NOT a beginners bike) my girlfriend took the riding course and only rode a 250cc, then came home and jumped on my 08 granted it was in c mode and i made her ride around the block first, but now after a little seat time she can ride it quite well. She even took it out on the highway with me and did very well for the first time. I do not think a 16 year old should ride a busa for a first bike. :martin::martin::martin::martin::martin::martin:https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/images/smilies/martin.gif

And this illustrates the point I just made perfectly. That there is a big difference between being able to operate a motorcycle, any motorcycle, and being a experienced/skilled rider. It's not about being able to ride around the block. It might be on a Harley but on a high performance sportbike it is about what happens to you when the speeds ramp up....and they will. Unless you are a poseur and its all about being seen and talking you eventually will have to/want to go really fast on a high performance bike...eventually you might even go around a corner really fast. THAT is when the Busa and the litre bike will separate the skilled from the not so skilled rider.

Actually, that's what you've been saying the whole time. Saying everyone needs to start on a smaller bike because they'll learn the skills faster IS saying that (for example) someone who's been riding for a year on a busa can't possibly have the same skill as someone who's been riding a 600 for a year (given they were both first bikes)...

Wow. Now you're telling me what I have been saying? It's about learning to ride and developing riding skills WITHOUT getting injured or killed. Please stop putting words in my mouth and telling me what I have been saying.

Wow. Now you're telling me what I have been saying? It's about learning to ride and developing riding skills WITHOUT getting injured or killed. Please stop putting words in my mouth and telling me what I have been saying.

Ok, so then you don't think skills are learned faster on smaller bikes?

When saying "smaller" bike I wouldn't throw a 600 in to that group. Any bike that is capable of 10 second 1/4 miles is not to be taken lightly.

The benefit of a less powerful machine is you can pay attention to different parts of riding due to either slower speed or not needing to apply attention to something else. For example... On my EX-500 I never really had to worry about the rear end stepping out or losing traction due to it only having about 50hp. While riding my GSXR or my Busa I'm definitely paying allot more attention to the throttle.

Yeah but is a 16 year old going to go out and drag a knee or run a 9-sec quarter mile right off the bat? No of course not, im not saying my girl was riding wheelies but she can ride it on the street.

Ok, so then you don't think skills are learned faster on smaller bikes?

You will have different areas of focus on a small bike and you will be much less likely to get yourself into a situation that might end your life in an instant. Why did you buy the Busa? I assume its cause you want to go really, really, really fast because thats what the Busa does. Its also the same thing that kills plenty of riders....going really, really, really fast. On a small bike you will be working that clutch and gearbox like a fiend in regular everyday traffic. Thats learning. You won't have the weight holding you back, you can throw it into turns with ease, you can manoever around parking lots without worrying about dropping it. You won't have to worry about the shock of a speedbump or pothole transferring through your arm and blipping the throttle. Small bikes are not the plague. Small bikes can be just as much fun as big/fast bikes they're just different.

Yeah but is a 16 year old going to go out and drag a knee or run a 9-sec quarter mile right off the bat? No of course not, im not saying my girl was riding wheelies but she can ride it on the street.

his point is there is a difference between being capable of riding the bike and actually having total control of said bike

some folks are happy with just being able to go down the street without crashing, others want to be able to make the bike do what they want it do when they want it do it.

Last edited:
Back