Father & Son riders-how did it start?

Shibumi

Donating Member
Registered
I know we have some father & son teams on here, reminisce a little and tell us how it all got started riding together.

My son is 17 and wants a bike in the worst way, he is coming into some graduation money when he turns 18 that has been saved for him so he will have maybe $3000 to spend to buy or put down for a bike. I of course think it would be cool as hell to have him for a riding buddy from now on, lots of adventures to be shared in the future!

So how do you start out, teach him yourself, or take a rider training course?

Buy a beater cheap on the assumption it will get dumped a couple times?

Make him pay for everything so he will appreciate it, or help him out so he gets good stuff?

Lots of questions, maybe a few of you guys could write a short novel and it could be pinned for others to benefit from as next-generations grow into age?

I'd say as far as the bike goes, start him with a fixer upper. Then help him get it roadworthy so he learns how to fix it when he breaks it. Let him pay for the bike but help him ($wise) to get the best gear possible.

And above all have fun with him!
beerchug.gif

Kind of sounds like me & my dad ... except for the age thing, I was 29 when I got my first bike.
biggrin.gif

Well, in my case, I took the motorcycle course. My dad did come with me in an empty parking lot, slowly learn before taking the course, however I would suggest he takes it ... definately helped me with my riding.

I personally purchased a used cruiser to start off. Honestly didn't dump it, however speaking to alot of people when I initially purchased it, they all suggested I go used for my first bike, due to the reasons you mentioned above.

In re: to making him pay, well, tough question. I was 29, thus had more money then a 17 year old would. Suggestion, get him to save up for the course and then possibly help him out with the purchase of a bike.

In the end, definately a great idea. Been riding for a year now, mostly with my dad and it's been nothing but great times. Spend more time together, enjoy the views, been on a couple longer trips with him as well ... all great times that I will remember forever.
biggrin.gif

Good luck with everything ...
smile.gif

biggrin.gif

(fsusux @ Mar. 31 2007,11:07) I'd say as far as the bike goes, start him with a fixer upper.  Then help him get it roadworthy so he learns how to fix it when he breaks it.  Let him pay for the bike but help him ($wise) to get the best gear possible.

beerchug.gif
X'2...excellent advice.

(JINKSTER @ Mar. 31 2007,14:11)
(fsusux @ Mar. 31 2007,11:07) I'd say as far as the bike goes, start him with a fixer upper. Then help him get it roadworthy so he learns how to fix it when he breaks it. Let him pay for the bike but help him ($wise) to get the best gear possible.

beerchug.gif
X'2...excellent advice.
X3

Has he ever ridden anything before? My first comment to people eager to start riding a streetbike wit no prior experience is don't do it! Get a POS dirtbike and ride it off road for at least a little while, feel what it's like to slide, fall, stall etc! The concrete jungle is no place to get your feet wet imho.

Get a used bike. Have him put a decent amount of miles on the bike and then you can decided if he is ready for another ride, "IF" you are helping pay for it.

I bought a $200 beater did the MSF course, and put 500 miles on the bike and bought my Bandit 1200. First time out was very nerve wrecking. Glad that I went this route.

Sold the beater for $150. Got some money back, and got some miles under my belt before I bought a new bike.

Stress safety, gear, good gear.

Good luck.

You're way ahead of me. My boy (8 yrs) just learned to ride his bike. I can't wait for him to get interested in motorcycles. We'll start with matching mini bikes, then go to dirt bikes, then road bikes when he's old enough.

beerchug.gif

MSF course for sure
beater bike 250/500cc (depending on his size & all)
if u learn to work on it & spend his own $$ on it
he should be more willing to respect it

All great advise!!

My son has been riding since He was 2.5 Years old!!..taking HIM tomorrow matter of fact..time to take off the training wheels!!!!

d04c7308.jpg

Awesome pic there.

Also, great advice here. If it were me, i would make sure he's involved in EVERYTHING to do with the bike. Looking for what he wants vs whats financially practical, financing vs buying outright, repair, etc. Get him something that he's going to enjoy riding, but not something he can get himself into too much trouble on. If he likes sportbikes, the buell blast isnt a bad place to start - light, 1 cylinder, belt drive, very maneuverable, and pretty forgiving.

I try to encourage folks to start slow, so that they dont hurt themselves and that learning to ride can be enjoyable for them.

My father doesnt ride - never had an interest in it at all. He got me my first bike (a Honda Hurricane 1000 ) more to piss my mother off than anything. He and I have always had a good bond on cars though...I started out helping him work on old Jaguar E types and old chevys, and now he helps me on my toys. he got to get some time in on my factory five mkIII and has also helped me work on my '58 belvedere...

I think that there's something just awesome about a father passing his love for something on to his kids, and I can't think of anything more fun than motorcycling...except maybe restoring cars.
beerchug.gif

Long story but he went to riders school and insurance costs was cut a goodly amount .

No tickets yet +30k miles later cause he gets it out of his system and the tracks .

(bigoltool @ Mar. 31 2007,17:19)
(JINKSTER @ Mar. 31 2007,14:11)
(fsusux @ Mar. 31 2007,11:07) I'd say as far as the bike goes, start him with a fixer upper.  Then help him get it roadworthy so he learns how to fix it when he breaks it.  Let him pay for the bike but help him ($wise) to get the best gear possible.

beerchug.gif
X'2...excellent advice.
X3

Has he ever ridden anything before? My first comment to people eager to start riding a streetbike wit no prior experience is don't do it! Get a POS dirtbike and ride it off road for at least a little while, feel what it's like to slide, fall, stall etc! The concrete jungle is no place to get your feet wet imho.
I agree,the dirt is the best place to learn.Don't hurt as bad if dumped.

Sounds like you are a responsible father and responsible motorcyclist. Teach him to be the same, and its all good. Take the MSF course with him. Even if you've done it before its a good refresher and sets the perfect example from day one. There are plenty of posts out there discussing what is good for a first bike, but I'm going to repeat myself here again. Start him on a naked, used SV650. It is a forgiving bike. Cheap to fix in low speed/driveway drop. Has enough of everything not to outgrow it after a month or two. You can resell it next year without taking a big loss.

i am 17 and ride wit my moms sometimes........ i ride a 750 kat she is on a busa...............

i graduate this april and prolly will get a GSX-R750 for something a lil smaller than the kat

My son is 13 last yr. he said he wanted to ride my busa so i bought him the smallest dirt bike with a real clutch and gearbox a yamaha ttr125 got him all the safety gear now hes jumping and sliding doing things i've never done on or off the dirt
SHOCKED.gif
now he wants a 2stroke to go mx racing he even wants to ride mine in the texas mile In a few years. we've ridden a few blocks together its a good feeling cant wait till we can go on a real ride. Now my daughter wants to learn to ride also.

Back