Would you dare use car oil in your brand new bike?

Mythos

Registered
I posted a thread ~7months ago asking for opinions of maufacturer suggested break in vs a more severe break in and i got a lot of good opinions. I've decided I'm going with a high rpm WOT breakin similar to what "Moto Man" recommends for dyno break in.

"How To Break In Your Engine For More Power & Less Wear!
Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power"
(^^^I'd post the link but I don't know how to do that yet)

Does anyone know why this guy is recomending using Valvoline or Halvoline 10W-40 car oil for the first 500 miles and then switching to conventional motorcycle oil? The only advantage i can see is that car oil would be a lot cheaper if you are going to be changing frequently. Other than that, using car oil seems a little risky for use in a motorcycle.

Last edited:
As long as it doesn't have friction modifiers in it you will be fine.

I'm running the Suzuki Full synthetic race blend. It costs less than Mobile 1 and it runs smooth so far.

If the bike has a dry clutch and it's own gearbox oil, then no problems with using car oil as far as I can see.

Last edited:
If the bike has a dry clutch and it's own gearbox oil, then no problems with using car oil as far as I can see.

I'm pretty sure that leaves our G2 busa out then. Motor oil is poured into the crank case as far as i can tell...and if it is like my 14, it has a wet clutch too. (will be getting the bike next week)

And, another viable source.
icon2.gif
Car Oil vs. Motorcycle Oil

Does anyone know why this guy is recomending using Valvoline or Halvoline 10W-40 car oil for the first 500 miles and then switching to conventional motorcycle oil? The only advantage i can see is that car oil would be a lot cheaper if you are going to be changing frequently. Other than that, using car oil seems a little risky for use in a motorcycle.

Correct, I would stay with the normal dino (non-synth) oils for break in. Flogging it respectfully with flexing the rings during this process is my favourite way to break in.

There is absolutely NO RISK at all even using car oils in turbo applications from all the turbo applications I have seen throughout the years, Motorhead and Hank Booth being two extremes, I have never heard of any problems.

hahah, I appreciate all of the comments a great deal and I will read all others that get posted. This looks way too complicated to experiment with though. I'll spend the $52 on the first 3 oil changes and go with motorcycle oil. Going cheap isn't a good thing when new, IMHO.

Thanks, everyone!

hahah, I appreciate all of the comments a great deal and I will read all others that get posted. This looks way too complicated to experiment with though. I'll spend the $52 on the first 3 oil changes and go with motorcycle oil. Going cheap isn't a good thing when new, IMHO.

Thanks, everyone!

The argument is as old as the Hayabusa is old. Check that SH.Org old school thread in depth. Believe me,, there are plenty of big hitters on there that have plenty to risk if making the wrong decision on oil.

The great thing is, even with all of the education and proliferation of information,,, the choice is always and will always be individual. That IS why we ride a motorcycle,, to be free to make our own choices!
icon12.gif

Back