What do you think of this guys advice for breaking in...

I've used his method on numerous high performance bikes and it works quite well.

Race bikes we break in on the dyno. For street bikes I've done both dyno and hard breakin on the street. :thumbsup:

Yes for me. I have worked on quite a fe engines when I was young. I use to work on the late model stock motors for Jeff & Ward burton and the bush motors for Mark Martin. I built quite a few motors for myself. I have done the break in thing both ways. We put motors on the dyno warm them up and let em rip. Then they would put them in the car and run them 250 to 500 laps, bring them back tear them down and they look like a brand new one. I can honestly say I cant remember ever loosing a round track engine. How ever we did loose one drag motor due to a risk pin breaking. This motor didn't even get out of the burn out box. O well what can you do? :laugh: On my busa I didn't get 500 miles on it and it was wide open quite a few times and so far its still together :thumbsup:

This is pretty consistent with current thinking on how to break in piston aircraft engines. Unfortunately, it's harder to get a good run of high cylinder pressure on a motorcycle engine on the street. Seems like a dyno would be better.

You can do it on the street. Just make sure you get on a highway and have someone stay behind you that knows what you are doing. Leave it in first or second gear to give it a higher load and run it up and down through the revs. This is how I broke my motor in and the same way my brother did 2 of his.

I've built about 7 motors for my race car. I broke 3 of them on the dyno and the other 4 real hard on the street. Didn't have a single problem with any of them. Only thing I break in softly are full face clutches. Other then that, I drive it like I stole it :laugh:

It's how I did mine. Luckily I live inthe country and have a mile long straight with no roads or houses very close. Mine was topped out before there was 25 miles on the clock. At 16k now with no issues of any kind.

The hard break in has a method to follow. I wouldn't recommend that anyone simply twist the throttle to the stop and go on a new engine!

Just to clarify.....I did not make a top speed run the first go. There were many runs made working up to it. I followed that plan as best I could. Loading and unloading the engine etc etc. Was also the reason my first oil change was right at 50 miles as I have posted several times.

I’ve heard that the engine “break-in†is a myth (seriously). From what I understand it was something that had relevant importance in yesteryear but now due to advance metallurgy and engineering it’s something that’s not that relevant anymore.

Question: Rings seat in what 15-30 miles or less (I believe)?
Question: When was the last time you heard about a motor failing from the factory due to improper break-in?

My car had 4 miles on it when I got it and I didn’t break-in crap and it runs like a champ 23 months later and 40,000 miles.

Just like the synthetic oil myth on a low mileage motors…crap! I’ve used Mobile 1 oil and a Mobile 1 filter from 1500 miles with no problem. Remember cars like the Corvette come from the factory with Mobile 1.

I’m no expert by ANY means but please, please show me some conclusive scientific evidence to rebuke what I just stated.

Some people previously stated that they did hard and soft break-ins with no problems at all so this in itself…

well...i followed "break in" and honestly...i feel that i have less HP and it goes through oil even now i switched to synthetic...so in my opinion....i should have let her rip not babied it

Stopped by my local dealer, talked to the guy sort of on the side. I asked him if I should baby it or ride it hard and what the manual stated. He laughed and told me not to baby it that in 04 he had a few people baby their bikes at first and it caused some problems with not enough pressure or some crap. I don't know the workings of it all...

I'll go with what everyone here has said, you all have been a huge help!

Moto man breakin here too. It helped me seat the rings in my new 04'Busa.

Back