HELP - Spewing Oil Out Of Oil Cooler In Bound Line

gastoys

Registered
Spewing Oil Out Of Oil Cooler In Bound Line.

Just got done changing the oil on my Busa and after I put everything together and started her up she spewed high pressure oil what appears to be the in bound line from the engine to the oil cooler.

I installed a Suzuki Oil Filter used the approved oil SAE 10W - 40W by Castrol Synthetic Mix for 4 stroke. When I removed the new oil filter and reinstalled the old oil filter she no longer spew oil, but now she's leaking from the in bound line seal.

Anyone have any idea WTF happened. I've been changing my own oil on all my Kawasakis including my wife's Kawasaki for over 10 years and I change my own oil on all my cars and have NEVER seen this before.

Any ideas would be greatly welcomed.

Thanks

you probably missed the oil filter gasket.. you need to check old filter for oring.. if not there, pull filter and remove the extra one... happens when the new filter oring is not lubbed.. SOP on any car oil change is to physically look for stuck oring

thanks for the quick response, when you say oil filter gasket I am assuming you're talking about the O Ring rubber gasket that goes around the oil filter that will go flush with the block once it's tighten down or is there another gasket? If so both O Ring Rubber gaskets are on the filter. :)

yes the o-ring.. one is likely stuck to the block when you pull the filter off... IF the things are as they should be, inspect new filter for some type of puncture.. even if the filter is plugged, it should not make oil lines leak, these do not appear to be a full flow filter and so should not make oil pressure go berserk if blocked or plugged

Last edited:
thanks for the quick response, when you say oil filter gasket I am assuming you're talking about the O Ring rubber gasket that goes around the oil filter that will go flush with the block once it's tighten down or is there another gasket? If so both O Ring Rubber gaskets are on the filter. :)

should only be 1 per filter

Sorry, bad verbiage on my part, yes there is only one per filter.

Even if there was two why in the world would it cause the oil to blast out the seal of the in bound oil line to the oil cooler. This just STRANGE!

I think the Oil Filter is defective cause once I put the old one back on the problem was resolved, but now the in bound line seal is weak to the oil cooler and is dripping oil at a slow pace. Taking her in Tuesday to have the dealer look at it.

I suspect they will need to replace the in bound line seal to the oil cooler.

Last edited:
Sorry, bad verbiage on my part, yes there is only one per filter.

Even if there was two why in the world would it cause the oil to blast out the seal of the in bound oil line to the oil cooler. This just STRANGE!

I think the Oil Filter is defective cause once I put the old one back on the problem was resolved, but now the in bound line seal is weak to the oil cooler and is dripping oil at a slow pace. Taking her in Tuesday to have the dealer look at it.

I suspect they will need to replace the in bound line seal to the oil cooler.
what I was suspecting was that you had 2 gaskets (o rings) stacked and the leak was not what you thought it was.. (spray)..

Not at all uncommon for guys unfamiliar with oil changes to not even look at the gasket sealing surface (would spot the black rubber seal) and screw a new filter down on the stuck seal.. They then go for a ride and blow out the gasket and oiling down the bike, rear tire and then almost crashing..

Sort of a first lesson for anyone doing oil changes on bikes or cars..

for the record? what brand and number is the new filter you tried that caused the issue?

You may only have a filter issue. You blew oil everywhere and until you get it all cleaned up you will experience dripping , etc.

Its possible it could be the oil pressure regulator valve or just the wrong filter. Did your old filter have a bulge in the top of it? Not the side that screws to the oil filter assem., but the other side where the filter wrench usualy attaches. Put it on a table, top side down and see if it sits flat. If it wobbles around then there is excessive pressure in the filter which maybe related to your oil pressure regulator valve, causing the filter to bulge on the top and sides.
I don't think it would have anything to do with the filter, there is nothing in the filter that should create restriction. Oil enters it through the little holes in the filters base, passes through the paper element and the leaves the filter through the threaded portion in the filter. If the placement of the holes in the new filter is blocked then you will get pressure build up in the rest of the system prior to the filter. Check the filters to make sure they are the same, height and the holes are in same location as the old filter.

Back