Oil Change

BadWeather

Registered
Well decided to change the oil today. I installed an Aien Head and wrapped the headers bottom line is you cannot get the filter out without disconnecting the line to the oil cooler. Is that what everyone else has had to do or is it becuase I lost clearance from the insulating wrap. Also noticed that the oil looked very stange kind of green in tint and more watery then I thought it should.

Is that what everyone else has had to do or is it becuase I lost clearance from the insulating wrap.
The latter, I suspect.

With the stock exhaust setup, the oil filter is a little bit of a tight fit when installing/removing, but still readily doable with adroit maneuvering around adjacent components.

Your pipe wrappings may be just thick enough to prevent an easy extraction/installation.

beerchug.gif

I can change my filter without removing anything. I installed the alien head as well, but no pipe wrap... I would say the wrap would be the culprit..

I changed my filter just like on the old busa with no problem.

I'm a bit confussed as to what you wrapped and why? Maybe you could post a photo and explain?

I'm old school I wrap my headers with a 1' wide insulating wrap, supposedly it keeps the exhaust gases hoter for better removal from the cyclinders gaining about 2% Hp, it also keeps the heat away from the body work, radiator and oil cooler. Not sure on the Hp as I always do this and have never checked before and after but theoretically it is the correct thing to do. Just about any race car wraps there headers for the same reason.

Well decided to change the oil today. I installed an Aien Head and wrapped the headers bottom line is you cannot get the filter out without disconnecting the line to the oil cooler. Is that what everyone else has had to do or is it becuase I lost clearance from the insulating wrap. Also noticed that the oil looked very stange kind of green in tint and more watery then I thought it should.

Just did my oil change and had to remove the oil cooler line as well, I have the R-77 Full exhaust.

Over all it's not that hard, I was expecting a lot worse.. The fairing comes off really easy after doing it a few times..
all_coholic.gif

Try and remove to lower oil cooler bracket instead of the line to see if it will go thru between #2 and #3 header pipe.

I would have to agree that the wrap could be causing the problem. If you double wrap the stock headers, you will definitely have a problem, as it's already pretty tight in there.

I think that figuring out an easy way to r/r the oil filter is the least of your worries. Did you say that your oil had a strange green tint to it, and was more watery? Sounds like you have some contamination going on there. Better check your cooling system to see if it's low, and run a pressure test on your radiator. It sounds like a bad head gasket to me, or worse.
wowold.gif

Back