Oil change and filter ?

Dozerdriver

Registered
I noticed in the manual that they say to change the filter every other oil change after the first oil and filter change. How many of you guys follow this?

oil is the expensive part so i go ahead and spring the few extra nickels for the filter.

I worked for Ford for many yrs.
For most of them service manual said change oil every 3k.
Then they changed recommendations and said change it every 5k ?
When I as mgr asked our service mgr about this he said that less normal maintainence creates needs for service sooner .
You don't get the filter from Ford but you do have to get the engine parts from them !

Whether right or wrong maybe Suzi by telling you to not change filter every time is hoping in the end you will need more parts from them ?

I do the filter every other time. The reason?.............

When the filter is run for 3-4 thousand miles, there is plenty of room for much more solids to get caught. Also, the filter capacity is nearly nil, so it makes no difference...............

Don't think I have ever put more than 2k on any oil or filter in any streetbike .
Usually change it at 1-1.5k .
Just feel that a few really good runs up high in the rpms can degrade it alot.
Amazing how black and 'used' it looks at even just 1000 miles .
I'm sure it's overkill and my cars are always 3-5k but my streetbikes I change it frequently.

Last edited:
I've been changing oil and filters for like forever (ok since-1966). And I've never changed the oil and not the filter _ever. I dont want any dirty oil left in my bike. Sometimes with the bikes or the cars I leave them draining all night and really get all the crap out.

Last edited:
It's just me, but I have always changed the filter everytime I change oil. In 47 years of riding, I have never had an oil related issue with my bike, so I guess thats the way I'll continue to do it.

nothin like runnin your fresh oil through a dirty filter... ??? maybe its ok but if it gives me some peace and comfort its worth the few extra bucks in my opinion.

Don't think I have ever put more than 2k on any oil or filter in any streetbike .
I'm sure it's overkill and my cars are always 3-5k but my streetbikes I change it frequently.

Overkill IMO.. my Blackbird had an interval of 8k in the manual for oil changes. I typically do them every 5k or so. Been doing them on the Busa every 3k since I have the free maintenance plan.. once that's over at the end of the year i will probably be more like 4k-5k. And the XX has close to 100k trouble free miles on it :)

Change filter and oil at the same time. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.:thumbsup:

Oil color when drained does not mean much, now if you rub some between your fingers and it feels gritty....:whistle:

I always wondered why we change oil filters on our aircraft engines, but not the oil??? Any how, on my cars and bike, I always change together.

Back