Oil level

torquemonsterr

Registered
Just did an oil change on my Gen2. The manual says that an oil change with oil filter require around 3.3 litres of oil. However during my last oil change with an oil filter, it took around 3.5 litres of oil to fill it up to full line. And during this oil change that i just did(also with an oil filter), it took up to 4 litres of oil to fill it up to full line. Is this normal????

If you fill it to the full line it will be over full when the oil is hot. Doesn't hurt anything but check your oil hot and it will be almost to the top of the glass.

Well the motors oil pan didn't grow. Probably just going into the filter, maybe you did something a little different. I drain my bike hot so I get a good drain. I put about 4 quarts back in. If you crank it and let it run a second the oil level will probably drop just a tad from the filter filling. I don't think you have a mystery on your hands.

Well the motors oil pan didn't grow. Probably just going into the filter, maybe you did something a little different. I drain my bike hot so I get a good drain. I put about 4 quarts back in. If you crank it and let it run a second the oil level will probably drop just a tad from the filter filling. I don't think you have a mystery on your hands.
I've always used the same method. Warm the bike up fully, turn the engine off, wait for around 15 minutes and drain the oil. Not sure what i've done differently here. Weird???

I think it really depends on how long you let it drain and whether it is cold when you drain. If its cold, you will likely remove more oil as it has had ample time to drain from the top of the engine and from the clutch basket.

My gen2 has always had 3.75 quarts.
I let it drain hot for a while.
Fill 3.75 quarts and let run for few minutes.
Stand the bike upright off the kickstand and hot or cold the oil is always on the top line in the sight glass.:beerchug:

Why did suzuki says it only require 3.5 quart when it require much more than that.

A quarter of a quart will take the oil level from the lower mark in the window to the high mark.
Anywhere between the marks is fine, the manual states that too.
I just like to run on the high side.:beerchug:

Who really looks at how much oil is left over after filling your engine with oil? :dunno:

Can we get a count of how many drops it takes with an eye dropper to fill the crankcase

Who really looks at how much oil is left over after filling your engine with oil? :dunno:

Can we get a count of how many drops it takes with an eye dropper to fill the crankcase

I just look at my last quart going in and leave a quarter in it. Fills to the top line every time.
I don't overthink it.:beerchug:

I just look at my last quart going in and leave a quarter in it. Fills to the top line every time.
I don't overthink it.:beerchug:

Just dont understand... I just put 3.0 qts. in after I chang the oil, start the bike make sure no leaks. Level the bike and just slowly add oil to the mid point on the oil site glass. whatever is left over I pour into the last oil quart bottle from the previous oil change.
I am sure it varies on engine temp, the angle of the bike, how long you allow it to drain. if you blow the oil cooler and lines out... To much variance in this topic.

Just dont understand... I just put 3.0 qts. in after I chang the oil, start the bike make sure no leaks. Level the bike and just slowly add oil to the mid point on the oil site glass. whatever is left over I pour into the last oil quart bottle from the previous oil change.
I am sure it varies on engine temp, the angle of the bike, how long you allow it to drain. if you blow the oil cooler and lines out... To much variance in this topic.

My bike does 11 o'clock wheelies almost every time I ride it, I just like to know it's full and not over full.
If I put 4 quarts in, the window is full(tried it originally and drained some out).
I've seen engine's begin to fail(and then they eventually do...and not mine) and the oil has cooked itself onto the site glass, so it looks black whether there's oil in the engine or not.
3.75 is what I found to be an easy amount to fill, it stays on the top line, and there's still room in the site glass to see that there is oil in there or if it's going down.
Just how I do it, and I'm not saying anyone else is doing it wrong....except you.:laugh:You're way takes longer than mine:poke:

Back