how often do u change your oil filter??

hemi

Registered
every oil change (3000 miles), or every other oil change. After installing my brocks streetmeg, it's a pain to get the filter off with the headers, plus all the plastic removal involved with the filter change:banghead:. If memory serves me correctly, the manual states to change the filter every other oil change. Running a high quality synthetic like amsoil, which is what i use, i assume it would be fine to do it every other? Obviously i'm getting a bit lazy these days

Every oil change, not easy with Ti force headers either, considering the Brocks filter relocator...

haven't done it yet, changed it every time so far. Just curious if anybody waits until the 2nd oil change to swap the filter. I'm at 2000 miles on this change and trying to decide if i should change it before the winter storage season, i normally change it right away when spring hits, but i don't want old oil sitting in there all winter

haven't done it yet, changed it every time so far. Just curious if anybody waits until the 2nd oil change to swap the filter. I'm at 2000 miles on this change and trying to decide if i should change it before the winter storage season, i normally change it right away when spring hits, but i don't want old oil sitting in there all winter

Hemi, If your using Amsoil like I am and your changing your oil every 3000 miles, You are throwing your money away. You are using one of the best oils out their and synthetics usually go double the recomended miles (or 12 months, which ever comes first) that Dino oils go. At least concider going to 5000 mile intervals.

I use to run a Fleet of vehicles (over 500) and have done many oil analysis so I'm very familier with this subject. My road tractors (semi's) go a minimum of 500,000 miles before they get a inframe overhaul using 10,000 mile schedule and non synthetic oil.

My cars and light trucks used the 5000 non syn schedule would go 200,000 miles and then I would send them to the auction in good running condition. Of coarse the bodies would be ready to fall off but engine was fine (lol)

Everyone is so use to getting it done at 3000 miles and Jiffy Lube has a big market on fooling the public on this same subject. As I said before, everyone has their opinion on this subject and I just gave you another one.

Believe me, I know where you coming from because Im very anal about my bikes and cars and I like clean oil inside the crankcase but just because the oil is brown doesnt mean its not working and protecting

What ever you do, and decide, dont change your oil without changing your filter as others have said. You have to get the contaminants out of the engine and also make sure you engine has been warmed up prior to dropping the oil out. This helps with the removal of those contaminents.

You will get many opinions on this subject, bottom line is do what you feel is right.

Sorry for the long boring story but hate to see money gone to waste

Regards, Rick

Last edited:
+1 with Rick. Even Dino has advanced enough to get better than 3K as long as a decent filter is used. I change both when I do change.

This can become a CLASSIC!
Perhaps, but it's still complete crap! I hear more **** talked about oil and filters than anything else on this board, and like almost all passionate convictions, it is born from profound ignorance.

Every time the oil is changed? Every 3000 miles? Really? The same as it was when I started motorcycling 35 years ago?

Yeah, come to think of it, you're absolutely right: oil and engines have not progressed at all in that time. If you change your oil (no matter what type you use) every 3000 miles, and change your filter every single time, your bike will last forever.

It's a known fact!

I mean, all you have to do is ask the people who sell oil and filters.

Last edited:
actually to start the argument meter,,, many pro shops state that a dirty oil filrer filters better!!! Now I am not saying to do what the manual say's and change the filter after three oil changes (every 3rd oil change the filter as well) I am the nervous nelly so to speak and I run full synthetic and change oil every 3500 miles and the filter every other time. so the filter when I change it has 7000 miles on it. but the oil every 3500 with full synthetic always. I know people are saying why change the oil at 3500 if your running full synthetic, my answer is my mind will not allow it to go further than that, I ride it hard sometimes and its worth it to me. To quote you Rick Ekstrom, I use to run a Fleet of vehicles (over 500) and have done many oil analysis so I'm very familier with this subject. My road tractors (semi's) go a minimum of 500,000 miles before they get a inframe overhaul using 10,000 mile schedule and non synthetic oil. Then you know that Rotella blue jug full synthetic is just as good as ANY full synthetic oil and is much cheaper!!! But dont belive me do an oil analysis on it or go to http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/cms/ to see for yourself... I had a mechanics shop do a valve adjustment on my 2007 with 28,xxx ish miles on her. They did a leak down test on it and I was 3-4 % worn in on the rings!! no lie The hype on amsoil or what ever brand is just that, although some test did show that amsoil or royal purple could help with horse power with 1 -2 ponies but you will not feel 1-2 hp unless you are on a dyno to see it. Just my 2 pennies but it is all fact look it up

Last edited:
i change mine every other . on my 02 i put 30000 miles on it and it looked great inside and i run mobile one

actually to start the argument meter,,, many pro shops state that a dirty oil filrer filters better!!! Now I am not saying to do what the manual say's and change the filter after three oil changes (every 3rd oil change the filter as well) I am the nervous nelly so to speak and I run full synthetic and change oil every 3500 miles and the filter every other time. so the filter when I change it has 7000 miles on it. but the oil every 3500 with full synthetic always. I know people are saying why change the oil at 3500 if your running full synthetic, my answer is my mind will not allow it to go further than that, I ride it hard sometimes and its worth it to me. To quote you Rick Ekstrom, I use to run a Fleet of vehicles (over 500) and have done many oil analysis so I'm very familier with this subject. My road tractors (semi's) go a minimum of 500,000 miles before they get a inframe overhaul using 10,000 mile schedule and non synthetic oil. Then you know that Rotella blue jug full synthetic is just as good as ANY full synthetic oil and is much cheaper!!! But dont belive me do an oil analysis on it or go to Welcome to see for yourself... I had a mechanics shop do a valve adjustment on my 2007 with 28,xxx ish miles on her. They did a leak down test on it and I was 3-4 % worn in on the rings!! no lie The hype on amsoil or what ever brand is just that, although some test did show that amsoil or royal purple could help with horse power with 1 -2 ponies but you will not feel 1-2 hp unless you are on a dyno to see it. Just my 2 pennies but it is all fact look it up

As I said before, it's just another opinion. Do what you feel is right, because no matter what you do, someone has a better idea.

Thanks for yours

Back