Oil filter removal w/ R-77 4-2-1 Exhausts

Warchild

Banned
From a different thread:

<div class="iF-Passage"><div class="QUOTEHEAD">Quote:[/Quote]<div class="QUOTE clearfix"><span class="quoteBegin"> </span>
that's why I had to remove the oil cooler line to remove the filter. Has anybody else with R-77 full system had any problems?[/quote]

You do NOT have to remove any cooling lines or anything else to remove the stock oil filter behind the Yosh R-77 4-2-1 headers.

HOWEVER....

That having been said, it is true that there appears to be even slightly less room behind the R-77 headers than the OEM equivalent. I did have to rotate the old filter around several times to find the correct orientation where it just barely slips right out of the area between cylinder #4 header and the oil cooling line.

And, of course, old oil is oozing out everywhere from the old filter as I spin it around like a Rubic's Cube while searching for the correct orientation....
thumb_down.gif

Interestingly, aside from the initial 600-mile service, Suzuki calls for changing the oil filter every THIRD oil change! Normally, the Old School in me just won't allow an oil change without changing the filter too, however, between the ass-pain of the right fairing removal and having to wrestle the filter out behind the header pipes, I am inclined to follow a sightly modified Suzuki change interval recommendation, and do a filter change every *other* oil change.

Filter change at every oil change.

Like an ol timer once said...When ya take a bath,you put on clean underwear.Why would you change your oil and not the filter every time ?

The oil filter will hold a lot of debris, so, in all actuality, changing it every 2-3 times is the smart thing to do. I use Amsoil filters, they are micro fiber and will hold lots of "stuff" and will still clean...........

Ron

Filter change at every oil change.

Like an ol timer once said...When ya take a bath,you put on clean underwear.Why would you change your oil and not the filter every time ?
Because SUZUKI (who engineered the bike) said so. Shouldnt that be reason enough?
sadnews.gif
Hmmmm... didn't mean for this thread to deteriorate to a change interval debate...
rock.gif
but, what the hey....

Like I say, I would normally Old School it, and change the filters with every oil change. But at the relatively abrupt change oil interval of only 3500 miles, this represent a metric buttload of side fairing removals. Yet, waiting to every 3rd oil evolution to change out the filter just seems so against the grain. A new filter every other change, that I can live with.

I found on mine that removing the lower oil cooler bracket bolt from the cooler and taking the filter out from between #2 and #3 header pipes and the filer comes out straight up. By the way I have a Yosh TRS  full system, I would guess the headers would be the same.
beerchug.gif

I have a Brock Alien Head and wrapped the headers the only way for me is to disconnect the cooler line which is not a big deal to me. I use a re-usable filter because it has less restriction then a paper filter and a lower micron filtration ie. more oil flow and a paper filter actually dissinigrates over time. After using a re-usable filter for the first time you can see how much paper fiber is actually in your engine because the new SS mesh filter catches it all after installation.

Back