Oil Change

Sannosuke

Registered
Hey guys,

The first oil change was done by the dealership at 1000k and I now have about (a very very gentle, nothing above 5/6 grand) 2,100k on my bike, want to change the oil myself. The questions are; would it be wise to stick to OEM oil/filter while the bike is under warranty or warranty be damned, use the synthetic stuff with a higher quality filter.

If we're going to forgo the OEM products, recommendations for which synthetic oil/filter products to use would be greatly appreciate!

80% of my riding is highway...

Thanks in advance,

Stay with OEM oil filters. Even after your warranty is up. My
2cents.gif

Oil brand is a religious preference... use what your Faith tells you to use. If it's legit motorcycle oil, and the correct viscosity, you're just not going to go too wrong as long as you maintain your change interval.

Use the OEM filter everytime. I have seen others explode from the oil pressure. I have heard of people having problems with the clutch slipping when they run certain full synthetic oils.

Right on guys and thanks!

I'll use whatever it came with and in the future I'll do more homework regarding synthetic oils.

Hey guys,

The first oil change was done by the dealership at 1000k and I now have about (a very very gentle, nothing above 5/6 grand) 2,100k on my bike, want to change the oil myself. The questions are; would it be wise to stick to OEM oil/filter while the bike is under warranty or warranty be damned, use the synthetic stuff with a higher quality filter.

If we're going to forgo the OEM products, recommendations for which synthetic oil/filter products to use would be greatly appreciate!

80% of my riding is highway...

Thanks in advance,
I would do a search on this site and it might save unessasary drama re mistakes. I only use Honda filters on my Interstate and Suzuki filters on da '08. Choice of oil, along with engine break in procedures have been hotly debated for years on M/C forums. I use Amsoil 10-40w in both bikes. (Not a dealer) Re oil changes; I get the oil hot, and do long drains. I always fill the new filters with as much fresh oil as they will take to avoid a dry start as much as possible. And I always double check that the old rubber 0 ring is not stuck to the engine. Dont over tighten the drain plug, you can strip it. Use of a torque wrench on the drain plug can be problematic. Suzuki has info regarding how tight to tighten the filter in the owners manual I think. I use an end filter wrench. Also get somebody that has experience with the procedure your doing if you have questions, to show you how to do it the first time. I wouldn't practice on a new 11,500 M/C. G/L My two cents...

I would do a search on this site and it might save unessasary drama re mistakes. I only use Honda filters on my Interstate and Suzuki filters on da '08. Choice of oil, along with engine break in procedures have been hotly debated for years on M/C forums. I use Amsoil 10-40w in both bikes. (Not a dealer) Re oil changes; I get the oil hot, and do long drains. I always fill the new filters with as much fresh oil as they will take to avoid a dry start as much as possible. And I always double check that the old rubber 0 ring is not stuck to the engine. Dont over tighten the drain plug, you can strip it. Use of a torque wrench on the drain plug can be problematic. Suzuki has info regarding how tight to tighten the filter in the owners manual I think. I use an end filter wrench. Also get somebody that has experience with the procedure your doing if you have questions, to show you how to do it the first time. I wouldn't practice on a new 11,500 M/C. G/L My two cents...[/quote]
Changed my own oil/filter on the 85' Magna for years and used only Honda-Line oil and filters, guess one couldn't go wrong doing the same with the Suzuki OEM line. Points taken valkyriemc and thanks.

Wish I paid only $11,500. List price (in Edmonton, Canada) was $13,999 not including taxes etc.

SYNTHETIC OIL WILL NOT CAUSE THE CLUTCHES TO SLIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! get a motorcycle specific synthetic oil{and I question that}and you'll be happy.

Hey Sannosuke,
I change my first oil change myself because the dealer mountain motor sports of Conyers Georgia was too cheap to offer it for free after I purchased the bike (I should have bitched) but I change it myself. In all my bikes I ride with the specs until I get to around 5k or more then it will not hurt only help to go to synthetic oil or use Royal Purple. My partners run mobile 5000 and substitute one of the quarts with that Lucas full synthetic oil and runs like a champ. It should have nothing to do with the clutch slipping. Hope this helps.
beerchug.gif

Hey Sannosuke,
I change my first oil change myself because the dealer mountain motor sports of Conyers Georgia was too cheap to offer it for free after I purchased the bike (I should have bitched) but I change it myself.  In all my bikes I ride with the specs until I get to around 5k or more then it will not hurt only help to go to synthetic oil or use Royal Purple.  My partners run mobile 5000 and substitute one of the quarts with that Lucas full synthetic oil and runs like a champ.  It should have nothing to do with the clutch slipping.  Hope this helps.
beerchug.gif
Want to talk about dealers being to cheap? They wanted $980 for my helmet (Arai RX-7 Corsair) and $85 for the dark smoke visor and would only give me a 10% discount, dealer could not and would not go any lower! Said screw it and bought everything on-line. Ended up getting the helmet for $407 and the visor for $35. Shipping/duty came to only $50! My first service was $cad310.

Also bought my Sidi Vertigo Corsa boots for $320 and a pair of Teknic Speedstar gloves (wanted a pair of Held Thrux but they were back ordered) for $130, shipping was combined for both these items saving me even more! Bought a couple coats of of eBay for less then $200 including shipping etc. First jacket was a Cortech GX Air, the second is also by Cortech but it's the HRX. For the money they are excellent jackets!

Could not believe how much I 'saved' by going on-line!

Also thanks for the heads-up on synthetic oil suggestions. I'll be backtracking older threads on this for more educated opinions on this matter...

Back