motorcycle vs car oil???

Two

Banned
I have always used Motul motorcycle oil in my busa and was wondering why some guys in this forum use car oil.
I would think that putting car oil in a motorcycle engine would not be good, am i right?
Motorcycle oil has additives for a motorcycle which car oil does not, soo why do some use car oil in there motorcycles?

i use castrol gtx 10-40 oil...both bike and van...ive ran regular oils in all my bikes ive owned...never had a problem...

I don't know about the chemical properties of car oil vs motorcycle oil. BUT, cars have a seperate lubricant for the motor and transmission where a motorcycle uses the same lubricant for both. I would think if you could run car oil in the transmission of a car the auto manufacturers would simplify things and do away with tranny fluid. That leads me to think running car oil in a motorcycle is not a good idea. :poke:

cars have a seperate lubricant for the motor and transmission where a motorcycle uses the same lubricant for both. I would think if you could run car oil in the transmission of a car the auto manufacturers would simplify things and do away with tranny fluid.
That's because of the transmission design not the oil properties. I use motorcycle oil to be safe but have been told it's the same as car oil that does not say energy conserving on the back in the API "donut".

EOLCS.jpg

Don't use this! I've been told it may damage your clutch.

another oil thread... ive noticed alot of people run mobile1 4t race oil but to be honest, i run cheap 10w40 sae thats packaged as "cheap ass motorcycle oil" from my local moto shop. stuff works well and its only $1.97 a quart.

another oil thread... ive noticed alot of people run mobile1 4t race oil but to be honest, i run cheap 10w40 sae thats packaged as "cheap ass motorcycle oil" from my local moto shop. stuff works well and its only $1.97 a quart.

THIS IS FROM ANOTHER FORUM THREAD:

I learned something this weekend, i bought a 07 Ninja with about 4k miles on it. During the test ride the clutch stuck when clicked in gear but it came loose, after i get home the next day i fired it up pulled in the clutch clicked it in gear, right hand on front brake, Wow... i almost hit the wall it pushed the locked front wheel across the garage floor...... The other thing i noticed was any rpm below 3500 the cam noise was loud and slaping the cover. So i take a ride, in my truck... to the local Kawi shop who has a great mechanic, been there 20 years, anyway i told him what happened and he asked does it have cheap oil in it, i did not know for sure. I was told that cheap oil if not changed alot causes these problems and he has seen this before several times. Cheap oil Not good for high rpm engines.

Home i go, changed the oil and filter with Mobil 1 15-50 car oil......clutch sticking problem gone!! I have been using this oil for years in several different bikes with no problems.

Next was to remove the cam chain tensioner, it was gummed up with sticky goo and would not move. After a complete cleaning and lubing back in it went. Problem solved the chain is quiet again. After a ride the tranny shifted alot easier and the bike ran cooler with less vibration. Checked the mileage 75.8 MPG not bad hauling a 170 lb rider.

This story is proof oil does make a difference!! This would apply to other engines as well. Moral of the story, spend a little more money put quality oil in your bike, truck, tractor........Another life lesson learned!!

Motorcycle oil has an additive (Teflon I think??) to "cling" to the gears in the tranny under force for better protection.

I believe if the oil has JASO MA in the informational donut, and is not energy conserving oil, it's good for a cycle clutch.

Here's a nice site describing oils in general, Moto vs. Auto. It is an amsoil site but the information given is interesting.

Motorcycle Oil Technical Facts

I believe if the oil has JASO MA in the informational donut, and is not energy conserving oil, it's good for a cycle clutch.

Here's a nice site describing oils in general, Moto vs. Auto. It is an amsoil site but the information given is interesting.

Motorcycle Oil Technical Facts

Thanks for the site reference Poppy. That was very helpful reading. I've been wondering and with all the banter back and forth - this was clarifying.

Thanks!

Car oils have 'friction modifiers' in them which do not work well in motorcycle transmissions or clutches. Also motorcycle oils have more anti-foaming properties in them.

Car oils have 'friction modifiers' in them which do not work well in motorcycle transmissions or clutches....

Some do...the ones that don't (have "friction modifiers") work just fine in bikes.
Posted via Mobile Device

I have always used Motul motorcycle oil in my busa and was wondering why some guys in this forum use car oil.
I would think that putting car oil in a motorcycle engine would not be good, am i right?
Motorcycle oil has additives for a motorcycle which car oil does not, soo why do some use car oil in there motorcycles?

We use them because of price, availability...and they WORK!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Motor oil is motor oil. I use car oil cus i like to support my local walmart. I think that Brock Davidson is a good Hayabusa tuner go to his site and read about using 5w30 Mobil 1 energy conserving car oil. Trust me your clutch will not slip.

Goldenchild turned me on to the Napa synthetic brand and I have never had a problem. I used 10/40 and do not have any sticking issues and my clutch is smooth as can be.

That's because of the transmission design not the oil properties. I use motorcycle oil to be safe but have been told it's the same as car oil that does not say energy conserving on the back in the API "donut".

EOLCS.jpg

Don't use this! I've been told it may damage your clutch.

+1...What he said!!!

CW

Back