The Best Oil / Car or Motorcycle

dezzy7

Registered
WE've long debated the concept of which oil is best, from brand to whether to use auto or motorcycle specific oil. Over the last couple of months Sprt Rider Mag has run some serious test on these questions. The results were Amsoil (motorcycle Specific) ranked best overall followed by Castor Oil Full synthetic (Car oil). While I was not surprised by Amsoil's first place finish, I was surprised that Castor Oil's fully synthetic auto oil beat out all the other motorcycle specific oils regardless whether they were synthetic or not....

Maybe I'll try the Castor Oil on my next oil change, it actually cost less than the "regular" motorcycle oil cost at the dealership.

Will wonders never cease ...
rock.gif

Dang dude....what acticles did you read? Sorry to rebuff.....but I have both issues and the oils weren't ranked. While some performed better than others on one test, it may have lagged behind others on a different test. It was pretty inconclusive if you ask me. In fact, the acticle resounded the same words. It actually boiled down to.....use what your manual tells you. IMHO.....I thought the Mobil 1 motorcycle oil did best. The '03 manual calls for a SF or SG API rating because of the phosphorous content which helps in acid neutralization. Actually, I believe as long as one doesn't go to a higher API rating than what your manual calls for(like the articles said to do) you won't have any problem with any oil with regular oil changes. But if one likes synth......go with that. In conclusion.....leave facts to facts........and opinions to opinions.........

I went to Motul 300v 15w-40 100% Ester...I only have the first article...the second part didn't show up in the BX (military walmart). Before that I used Castrol R4 superbike oil (very good oil IMHO). I'll see how the Motul goes.

I keep hearing good things about Mobil oil but is this a car oil or a bike oil?

Been waiting for the second half of their testing!!!!
Then I put in Castrol ActEvo synthentic couple weeks ago and am STILL trying to decide if the bike seems zippier because of that or the new Dunlop 208 that went on. What ever it is, feels and shifts even better than before.

$.01 worth

The oil that I thought tested very well is the Mobil 1 MX4T full-synthetic motorcycle oil. Also, the label says it meets API SG and JASO MA standards but it doesn't have the licenced label. The SG rating is what the '03 manual calls for. I haven't used this oil myself yet but I have seen favorable threads on its behalf. Some have said shifting improved greatly. I think I will try it myself next oil change.......

FROM
http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb....=000006

If you like your bike, I strongly recommend not using a conventional car oil, synth or not.

In bikes that DO NOT share the gear box, you can get away with this longer and some synth's will work better but still there is limitations involved . There is many who has the shared gearbox and this is where trouble will begin.

Failures due to lubrication is seldom obvious and doesn't normally happen just overnite. This type of wear is over a long period of time and I seriously have doubts that you can point lubrication as the culprit since the wear is at minimal amounts and takes awhile for it to appear and most failure will appear to be due to just normal wear. In a lot of cases, this would be true, but not all.

The reason so many can run a car oil is that they are using a heavier wt oil that provides better hydrodyamic properties in turn it takes longer to squeeze out between the parts thus providing an adaquate protection, with the exception of startup, this is good and this is why so many can get away with it. In the older days, harleys and such used the heaviest wt (50wt normally) which did exactly what I descibed above.

Now with the newer multiviscosity oils, the base oils are thinner, they rely on VI improvers to maintain the viscosity(good things about synth's) and they DO SHEAR down to the LOWER viscosity under demand.

OK, let me explain.
50wt oil cannot shear down to anything but a 50wt therefore it will not flow any faster than a 50wt thus maintaining a layer of oil under load longer.

a 20w50 is a 20wt oil with VI improvers that expand when heated up to operating temps to ACT like a 50wt oil, and when put between two surfaces that squeeze together, these vi's will compress back down momentarily to the 20wt and this WILL squeeze out FASTER than a straight 50wt.

What does this mean as for protection? If an oil takes longer to move, then it takes more or longer time for the pressure to move it, thus a layer of oil is still protecting the parts. So figure, 20wt-moves faster than 50wt. 15wt moves faster than 20wt and so on.

NOW, this is where the antiwear/antiscuffing additives called barrier additives such as moly, zddp and such come into play. When the shearing takes effect(and I can assure you it does with newer mutivisc oils) The barrier additive is coating/bonding on the surface and is what is known as the LAST LINE of DEFENSE for wear protection. This coating will handle anywhere from 15,-500,000 lbs of pressure depending on the barrier additive used and quanitiy. This is the main difference between M/c oils and convention OTC oils for cars. Cars are having to REDUCE this additive to maintain manufactures requirements for EPA concerns and this makes the oil an undesirable thing for bikes.

If you watch, most air cooled engines used a straight wt oil, (just FYI, a straight 30wt is thicker than a 20w50 since thats a 20wt with vi's). VW's, Harleys, generators,lawn equipment and such all used straight wts back then. Not so much now adays obviously but alot of these air cooled engines now have water/oil coolers incorporated which changes the whole process of how the oil maintains its hydrodynamic properties.

I myself have a small harley sportster and I use the Schaeffers 20w50 in the engine, and a specialized gear oil in the box which all of my lubricants that I use on there has moly in it for the barrier additive. The difference is the Schaeffers uses a high barrier additive that will provide the added protection over any of the conventional OTC oils including any of the synth's. This is also true with redline and amsoil's non api series 2 and 3000 oils.

So in my opinion, you think your doing yourself no harm running a conventional OTC synth or otherwise api certified oil, then more power to you but remember, the only one it hurts is YOUR pocketbook and not mine as the old saying goes, pay now or pay later.

The before-mentioned article backs up what you said about differences from auto and motorcycle oil. Many automotive oils now have an API SL rating. This rating allows less phosphorous(an anti-wear additive) because of catalytic converter damage. Not to mention some other high-mileage additives just for cars. But JASO MA approved oils are designed for japanese bikes that share a gearbox so I would say they are a safe bet.

I believe the article states all oils used were 10-40 grade. In regards to antiwear additives the mag states that tha avg for a motorcycle oil is 1414 ppm and automotive 1328ppm "not a huge difference" states the mag. The total base numbers are important for determing oil change frequency Amsoil and Castor Oil Syn rated 1&2 respectively.Amsoil rated 1st in acid neutralizers, and consistently scored high in almost every catagory. Castor oil synthetic out performed standard petroleum oil in EVERY catagory.

The conclusion of the article indicates a recognizable difference between the properties of automotive and motorcycle specific oils, it states "Whether they perform better-despite the data- is still a matter of opinion.

My point: looking at all the Data including evaporative heat stability Amsoil consistently performs at the top or near top of every catagory, And Castor Oil Synthetic (auto) beats standard motorcycle oil in EVERY catagory.

Perhaps misplaced in ranking them, but Amsoil is the most consistant performer across the board. And Castor Oil Syntec out performs ANY standard motorcycle specific petroeum based oil tested. Which is why I ranked it as as the #2 oil. PErhaps that will clear things up. If not -like the article said- its a matter of opinion....but look at the test results

How well did Motul 300v 15w-40 rank? From what I read from the first article was that 100% Ester oils was suppose to be pretty damn good...cuz of all the natrual lube, anti corrode, and something else. This stuff is too darn technical...

I used Motul semi-synthetic in my old GSXR 750 and got 73 miles out of it with no problems. So I'm sticking with what worked for me.:)

Revlis, she just finished summer school and got an "A" on the motorcycle project I'll try to post the results tonight....

Sorry Dez......when I looked at your profile, it said female....oops....I guess I need to get out and meet some of you folks......Most on here seem like really good people.

... any words on the oil additives? Slick50, ProLong, CD12....

I used'm on my ST1100. Sold it w/ over 112,000 miles on it.... Was running the Auto Mobile1 oil too.
firedevil.gif

Sorry Dez......when I looked at your profile, it said female....oops....I guess I need to get out and meet some of you folks......Most on here seem like really good people.
Nah, Man...Were just a happy Pack of AssH*les
biggrin.gif

Dezzy7's unanticipated conversion was a surprise to us all.
laugh.gif

Just a Hicup.

The oil that I thought tested very well is the Mobil 1 MX4T full-synthetic motorcycle oil. Also, the label says it meets API SG and JASO MA standards but it doesn't have the licenced label. The SG rating is what the '03 manual calls for. I haven't used this oil myself yet but I have seen favorable threads on its behalf. Some have said shifting improved greatly. I think I will try it myself next oil change.......
The way I read the article was exactly the same as what you said. I think the Mobil 1 mx4t ranked the best overall. I haven't used this oil but plan on using it on my next change. Or maybe the Maxim motorcycle oil.
As for the ranking, there was no official ranking of the oils tested however if you look at all rankings added together you can make your own determination of what was the best.
Good luck all.

Back