Oil, synthetic? mobil 1? amsoil? or ?

TorontoBusa

Donating Member
Registered
Oil, Synthetic? Mobil 1? Amsoil? or ?

Went to get some oil, and so many oils, wanted to get some input.

Saw that Mobil 1 now has a MX4T specifically for bikes, but wow is it expensive! $13.00/litre (quart) and Amsoil is $10.00

Regular Mobil 1 oil is $30.00 for 4.4 litres (1 gallon)

Was wondering if this is Marketing BS, or worth the money?

Thanks for the input.

Just found a great report on oils:

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g2156.pdf

I've attached the links for the Mobil1 stuff

http://www.mobil.com/USA-Eng....ils.asp

http://www.mobil1.com/USA-Eng....40.aspx

<!--EDIT|TorontoBusa
Reason for Edit: "Found a comparison study of bike oils"|1139806831 -->

Go with Mobil 1. Walmart has it for about $8. Don't know about Amsoil and don't care - everyone I've ever seen in favor of it seems to be selling it. Frankly I like the convenience of buying my oil easily and Mobil 1 is proven as a quality oil. All 3 of our bikes got Mobil 1 at 500 miles.
TM

Hello. no you don't have to pay the extra $ for motorcycle specific oil.  Use any 10w-40 weight oil or above and you will be fine.  Do not use any oil that on the back of the bottle says energy conserving (5w-30 or 10w-30).  Check out this website and you will know everything you need to know after reading this.  Myself and others run a diesel type oil for reasons you will read in this web page.  I use Castrol Tection Extra 15w-40. Auto stores has it on sale sometimes for $5 buck for a gallon (4 + liters)

http://www.yft.org/tex_vfr/tech/oil.htm

Guy put 100,000 miles on a 900rr with castrol GTX 10w-40

<!--EDIT|sportrider1296
Reason for Edit: None given...|1139811060 -->

Amsoil Synth for motorcycles at Fleet Farm is about $8.00 per quart
wink.gif

Can't beat amsoil if you don't put a lot of miles on your bike, meaning it is expensive. I'm a dealer and I use it in my cummins dodge and used to in my bikes but it only last for 3,000 miles and out it goes.

AMSOIL all the way and it seems to me it is the cheapest. $7.00 a qrt and $8.00 for a AMSOIL oil filter.
rock.gif
 O,.. and yes I do sell itAMSOIL    but I mainly became a dealer to get it cheaper for my self and friends. I don't try and sell it with a profit. I let people try it and it sells it self.
cool.gif

Since there's a few amsoil vendors in this thread, I'll try asking this question once again as nobody ever gives me a straight answer.

Does the amsoil motorcycle oil have the API SG rating in a stamped crescent on the bottle?

I don't care about it being "Recommended for SG use" or "Performance specifications include: API SG..." That's clever lawyer wording that means absolutely nothing.

Does it have an OFFICIAL API SG rating?
rock.gif

I have an extended warranty and I keep ALL receipts and take pictures of each oil change and the odometer reading. If my engine fails I'm going to have to show the dealer receipts for the oil I used and I need to know if amsoil has the OFFICIAL API SG rating that the owners manual specifies. If not, they've now got a loop hole and will weasel their way out of being responsible for any engine repairs whether the oil had anything to do with it or not.

Shell Rotella T 5w40 synthetic.  One of the best you'll find, and only $13/gallon at Walmart.  I use it in ALL of my vehicles now!  Nissan Titan, Murano, Busa, Honda Rincon, Suzuki Z400 quad, Cub Cadet mower, pressure washer...  everything!

It's one of those hidden gems.  
smile.gif
 Even the spAmsoil guys will admit it's awesome (well, the honest ones).

<!--EDIT|legbuh
Reason for Edit: None given...|1139884712 -->

Can't tell you much about Amsoil but I hear it is very good, my local high perf shop recommends Motul synthetic. I've been using Mobile I oils in my cars for years as it does not
break down as quickly, has greater heat range for less wear on start up and runs several degrees cooler than conventional motor oils. I'm the service manager for the #1 Goodyear shop (service not tires) in the country and we sell a lot of Mobile I oil changes ever day. In talking to my Mobile Rep he has advised me DO NOT USE REGULAR MOBILE I IN A MOTORCYCLE, USE ONLY THE CYCLE SPECIFIC OILS, as they have a soecial addative to keep the clutch from slipping!!!
They actually have 2 seperat oils, one for 4 cyl bikes and a specific oil for Hardly Abelsons and other V-twins. Hope this helps with such a slippery topic.

Since there's a few amsoil vendors in this thread, I'll try asking this question once again as nobody ever gives me a straight answer.

Does the amsoil motorcycle oil have the API SG rating in a stamped crescent on the bottle?

I don't care about it being "Recommended for SG use" or "Performance specifications include: API SG..."  That's clever lawyer wording that means absolutely nothing.

rock.gif

I have an extended warranty and I keep ALL receipts and take pictures of each oil change and the odometer reading.  If my engine fails I'm going to have to show the dealer receipts for the oil I used and I need to know if amsoil has the OFFICIAL API SG rating that the owners manual specifies.  If not, they've now got a loop hole and will weasel their way out of being responsible for any engine repairs whether the oil had anything to do with it or not.
I'm not an Amsoil vendor but I use it in my 82 CBX. For those who don't know, its an air/oil cooled 1,047cc inline six. The 82 had been rebuilt sometime before I got it and after breakin, had always had Amsoil 10/40 synth. It runs cooler, quieter and smoother than my 79, but the 79 has more miles on it. Saw no reason to change it.
The bottle says,
SAE 10W-40
API Service SH, SG, CF
JASO MA

I run Valvoline 4 stroke motorcycle oil in my 79 and the bottle says,
Meets or exceeds JASO MA, API SF/SG/SJ
Its a 20W50 for summer use so I'm not sure if the 10W40 has a different rating or not.

My 2 cents, Amsoil, the reason; 91 851 ducati 89k only had valve adjustments, busa 48k first valve adjustment none of the valves was out of spec, 2005 zx10 7k to early to tell. If you go to Amsoil dir. www.amsoil.com you can order it by the case.

I don't care about it being "Recommended for SG use" or "Performance specifications include: API SG..."  That's clever lawyer wording that means absolutely nothing.

rock.gif

I have an extended warranty and I keep ALL receipts and take pictures of each oil change and the odometer reading.  If my engine fails I'm going to have to show the dealer receipts for the oil I used and I need to know if amsoil has the OFFICIAL API SG rating that the owners manual specifies.  If not, they've now got a loop hole and will weasel their way out of being responsible for any engine repairs whether the oil had anything to do with it or not.
I think this is what you are looking for. The 0W-30 is actualy labeled for drain intervals up to 35k or once a year whichever comes first.Just replace the oil filter at 12.5k to six months.

amsoil_API_003.jpg

rock.gif

Here is the 10w-40.

amsoil_API_001.jpg

rock.gif

Here is the 20w-50. If this helps let me know. I had someone else ask this and I posted it but never got a response.

amsoil_API_002.jpg

All I see is API SERVICE.  Is there an actual "Meets or Exceeds API..." Crescent Seal somewhere on the bottle?

motoroil1.jpg

What I'm asking is, did the American Petroleum Institute test this oil and give it THEIR rating?

<!--EDIT|Turbo-Torch
Reason for Edit: None given...|1139970457 -->

Shell Rotella T 5w40 synthetic.  One of the best you'll find, and only $13/gallon at Walmart.  I use it in ALL of my vehicles now!  Nissan Titan, Murano, Busa, Honda Rincon, Suzuki Z400 quad, Cub Cadet mower, pressure washer...  everything!

It's one of those hidden gems.  
smile.gif
 Even the spAmsoil guys will admit it's awesome (well, the honest ones).
Same here, Shell Rotella T full Synthetic...
I have been using it for several years in several bikes and love it...
Goldwing, Blackbird, HD Low Rider and the Busa run smoother, shift easier and seem to be a little less noisy...
Great stuff and it's cheap at Wally World...

David

Hope this helps. I never seen a motor fail for running any particular oil. As long as there is anough and it is not contaminated.

And ..........get an oil that you can buy when your on the rode.
rock.gif

Back