Can i use this oil specifically

BlkDrgnZ28

Registered
Ok im not asking for opinions about which oil is better, im just asking if i can run this in my busa without harm or clutch slipage. Its mobile 1 15w-50 i know im supposed to look for friction modifyers and i didn't see anything saying that on the back so i just need a simple yes or no awnser cause i read about other running the mobile 1 and if i can run this i'de rather save the $5 a quart compared to the synthetic secifically for motorycles

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_15W-50_.aspx

Ran that Mobil 1 and did have clutch slipping,,switched back to Royal purple Max cycle and all is well now...

thumb_up.gif

Ok im not asking for opinions about which oil is better, im just asking if i can run this in my busa without harm or clutch slipage. Its mobile 1 15w-50 i know im supposed to look for friction modifyers and i didn't see anything saying that on the back so i just need a simple yes or no awnser cause i read about other running the mobile 1 and if i can run this i'de rather save the $5 a quart compared to the synthetic secifically for motorycles

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_15W-50_.aspx
The Hayabusa manual is requiring a minimum additive performance level of API SG " year 1993 " in which is an obsolete service category . It became obsolete in 1996 when API SH came about . API SH became obsolete when 2001 API SJ came about , which is current still but the current API SL is above it .

Look at the page you posted from the Mobil site . At the bottom click product data sheet and it will show the API service categorys the oil meets .

The data sheet goes back to SJ which is current , meaning the oil is backwards compatible in regards to previous service categorys , even those that are now , obsolete .

Here's more to help with timelines of the gasoline engine service categorys .

http://www.apicj-4.org/EngineOilGuide2006.pdf

I would say yes to using Mobile 1 15w-50...I am currently using the 15w-40 with Lucas synthetic oil stabilizer.

When in doubt, check with the horse itself... (and hope you can get real answers)

I called over at Mobile and spoke with an engineer (Matt) about the backwards compatibility.. he confirmed that the SG has been replaced by the new designations but he also stated that they are not a direct replacement due to the friction modifier package in the automotive grade oil. He pointed out that there are a few "backward" compatible looking blends (aircraft/2stroke, etc) that use different additive packages and can not be used in the applications as the previous rating..

They have "wet clutch" failure issues associated with the "automotive" grade Mobil 1 oils.. He stated that guys are running automotive type oil but it is a "hit and miss" issue with "clutch slippage" when it comes to the oil.. (in other words, try it if you want, but if it fails, do not come crying to us)

Now whether this is just company "line" talk or real world, I do not know.. but to save $5 or $10 on an oil change, I think I am going to hang with the Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40

Back