Oil Change how often with Mobil 1 4T Synthetic?

...but with a K&N filter :)

i like factory filters on bikes they just seem to last longer

How do you know they last longer? I use OEM too because I've seen enough filter studies that I'm not sure which brand is a good option.

The guy over at calsci dot com has a boatload of data on motorcycle filters, new ones cut apart, etc. According to him, the OEM's are OK, but not superior, and the K&N's are suspect. He also notes that because Suzuki uses the oddball threads, there are not as many quality filter options as there are for other motorcycle brands.

My local Yamaha shop carries Emgo, which rank as good as OEM (according to calsci) for exactly half the cost of OEM.

The guy over at calsci dot com has a boatload of data on motorcycle filters, new ones cut apart, etc. According to him, the OEM's are OK, but not superior, and the K&N's are suspect. He also notes that because Suzuki uses the oddball threads, there are not as many quality filter options as there are for other motorcycle brands.

My local Yamaha shop carries Emgo, which rank as good as OEM (according to calsci) for exactly half the cost of OEM.

Yea, that seems in line with some of what I've read. Don't know about Emgo but will look now. $13 apiece at the dealer is a bit rich for me.

Change it as often as you can afford and extra time you have, change it every 100 miles if ya got the money and time but I personally try and change mine around 2500.

Now I am just waiting for another "Whats the best oil" thread :banghead:

I just pulled the wix filter part number off the filter
Thread I assume it will thread right onto nipple! Lots of wise
Cracks in here but still not as bad as HD forum.

We're a fun loving group. If you read between the lines you'll find lots of good info. I ride a little aggressive :whistle: have used dino zuki 10W40 and zuki filters since '06 36K on an '06 and over 27K on the '08. I change mine every 4K miles filter and oil bc that's what I've done for 40 years and I'm too ignorant to understand why you can change oil and use a dirty filter :dunno: These motors are well designed and manufactured. I'm thinking there's a difference between full synthetic and blend. Up until my last oil change I've always paid $26 for an oil change, the last one cost me $39.

Stick around and have fun. Most of the comments ( wise cracks ) are based on the fights we have around here over this stuff. Search is your friend and cuts down dramatically on oRg brawls :rofl:

We're a fun loving group. If you read between the lines you'll find lots of good info. I ride a little aggressive :whistle: have used dino zuki 10W40 and zuki filters since '06 36K on an '06 and over 27K on the '08. I change mine every 4K miles filter and oil bc that's what I've done for 40 years and I'm too ignorant to understand why you can change oil and use a dirty filter :dunno: These motors are well designed and manufactured. I'm thinking there's a difference between full synthetic and blend. Up until my last oil change I've always paid $26 for an oil change, the last one cost me $39.

Stick around and have fun. Most of the comments ( wise cracks ) are based on the fights we have around here over this stuff. Search is your friend and cuts down dramatically on oRg brawls :rofl:

How do you have time to ride with 983,987,092,09,887,43 posts :dunno:

I try to change my oil at or close to three thousand miles, I do live in a high temp area though. Oil is life, no matter what you drive or ride. I put full syn in my truck and still change per my manufactures specs, which is 3750. I know a lot of oils promise you extended miles, but can can you afford a new motor if they are wrong?? I pay an average of fifty dollars for my oil change on my bike and I do the labor. If five or ten dollars matters to you, then don't own a bike. Although I talk out of place at times, why skimp when you can save hundreds or thousands if you are unable to do the work yourself. Learn your bike and you will save, don't and you will pay. Others think that riding is a luxury, but it is the ride that makes it worth it. Trust yourself, if you can ride a bike, you can change the oil. Two or three dollars is worth it to me to keep my bike happy........

Why so quick with these oil changes? I am no expert (so don't jump me) but considering all the studies that have proven synthetic lasts longer, why change it so fast? I let mine go to 6k.

I use the Suzuki full synthetic oil in my 08 1K. I change the filter every time and have been doing the oil change around 5k miles. I get on it often, but do a lot of highway to work. Just make sure you check your oil when you change it. At 5k my oil still looks good and isn't black. It is still a decent brownish color. I started out changing it at 3k, then 4k, and now I'm at 5k and it is looking good to me.

I follow the manufacturers recommendation for the oil filter interval cause the fairings are a pain and change my oil at 4000 mi. I have used 4T since 2000 miles and she runs like a top at 16500 miles.

Back