Question about oil...

tracks

Banned
I have been putting motul semi-synthetic motorcycle oil in my bike ever since I bought it new.

I was wondering if I changed my oil to a car oil like valvoline motor oil if i would do any damage.

I am tired of paying $50.00 for oil and a filter every time I change it.

No, no and NO. Do not put car oil into your motorcycle, use oil for motorcycles ONLY.

i use this

37026_1.jpg

Another oil thread! :snap:

I think $50 is probably as well as you can do if you're using the right stuff. Which Motul oil have you been using?

I put this in at 70 and 600 miles...

Motul 3000 10W40.jpg

And on to this at 1000 miles...

Motul 300V 10W40.jpg

Motul 3000 10W40.jpg

Motul 300V 10W40.jpg

Yaaaay another thread about oil:cheerleader:

Sits back and watches all the Opinions fly. :popcorn:

Can I just recap my tires cause I am tired of buying new ones.

From what I've heard, the problem with car oil is because our clutches bathe in the oil. The friction modifiers/etc will KILL your clutch.

I could be wrong. It's happened once, might even happen again..

If you want to go cheaper, get Shell Rottla T 15w40. Like $17 at Wal-Mart. Lots of big motor guys are using it, they just change it a bit more often than the pricier motorcycle oils. The builder I got my motor from (almost stock motor) used it on that motor, so I continued and haven't had a problem.

If you want to go cheaper, get Shell Rottla T 15w40. Like $17 at Wal-Mart. Lots of big motor guys are using it, they just change it a bit more often than the pricier motorcycle oils. The builder I got my motor from (almost stock motor) used it on that motor, so I continued and haven't had a problem.

I was just checking that Rottla out, I wonder if that stuff would be alright to use in my Kawi ZZR-600.

From what I've heard, the problem with car oil is because our clutches bathe in the oil. The friction modifiers/etc will KILL your clutch.

I could be wrong. It's happened once, might even happen again..

I thought I was wrong once....turns out I was wrong.

Friction modifiers promote slippage, So yes they are very bad in a wet clutch setup. Rotella doesn't have them and also has higher levels of zinc which is good for internal parts.

I use Amsoil synthetic 10w40 with a K&N filter and change them every 7000 - 7500 miles. I run a lot of interstate miles due to my commute and this method has been working well for me. I can get the Amsoil locally too. Use a good quality synthetic motorcycle oil and space out the changes if you are comfortable with it and your riding style suits it.

I use Amsoil synthetic 10w40 with a K&N filter and change them every 7000 - 7500 miles. I run a lot of interstate miles due to my commute and this method has been working well for me. I can get the Amsoil locally too. Use a good quality synthetic motorcycle oil and space out the changes if you are comfortable with it and your riding style suits it.

Wow, that's a big interval. How many miles on the engine?

Wow, that's a big interval. How many miles on the engine?

Almost 35K now. I do 120 miles round trip every day to work. 90% of that ride is interstate with the cruise set to 70 MPH. So, it adds up quick and the bike runs at around 3800 RPM for almost 2 hours straight each day. I got 14K miles out of my Pilot Road 2's this last set and have started another set fresh this year.

Back