Why is it??

I obviously have no idea.
But, I will give the man his due respect for his service, especially since by all accounts he was considered to down to earth and just wanted to be considered as another soldier, who never used his title or authority to advance himself.
I also read years back where he refused to be removed from his unit for his own safety. Again, much respect for that.
Otherwise, I have no idea what him and his wife do, as I see the headlines but don't read the stories, as I have no interest in that.
Did you meet him while you were both in the service?

I obviously have no idea.
But, I will give the man his due respect for his service, especially since by all accounts he was considered to down to earth and just wanted to be considered as another soldier, who never used his title or authority to advance himself.
I also read years back where he refused to be removed from his unit for his own safety. Again, much respect for that.
Otherwise, I have no idea what him and his wife do, as I see the headlines but don't read the stories, as I have no interest in that.
Did you meet him while you were both in the service?

I did indeed meet him while we were both in uniform and to be honest I didn't know who he was when I first met him...it wasn't until someone told me who he was that I knew...he wasn't arrogant or egotistical even a little bit...

I generally didn't have much time for British officers as I found most of them to be pompous and arrogant but he was the exception for sure.

I've met a few dignitaries over the years....can't remember them all but most were pretty decent...I almost made Prince Charles spit out his drink in laughter one time...

I did indeed meet him while we were both in uniform and to be honest I didn't know who he was when I first met him...it wasn't until someone told me who he was that I knew...he wasn't arrogant or egotistical even a little bit...

I generally didn't have much time for British officers as I found most of them to be pompous and arrogant but he was the exception for sure.

I've met a few dignitaries over the years....can't remember them all but most were pretty decent...I almost made Prince Charles spit out his drink in laughter one time...
Perks of the job I assume.
I would love to listen to all that you are allowed to tell about your time in Spec Ops.
And just a curiosity question, that I would only expect a yes or a no, no details;
Is there anything that you experienced(regardless of what) that you wish you could tell, but know that you can't?
And if so; how does that effect you?
Is that ever something you and your old colleagues ever discuss?
A former coworkers Dad was a retired SEAL, and he said a simple 'yes' with a smile.
Sorry, but it's not everyday myself or most anyone is in a position to be able to ask someone like you these types of questions.

Perks of the job I assume.
I would love to listen to all that you are allowed to tell about your time in Spec Ops.
And just a curiosity question, that I would only expect a yes or a no, no details;
Is there anything that you experienced(regardless of what) that you wish you could tell, but know that you can't?
And if so; how does that effect you?
Is that ever something you and your old colleagues ever discuss?
A former coworkers Dad was a retired SEAL, and he said a simple 'yes' with a smile.
Sorry, but it's not everyday myself or most anyone is in a position to be able to ask someone like you these types of questions.
Well, we are bound by the law to not speak on mission or tactical specifics and I hold to that.

Growing up, we had a Viet Nam era SEAL living near by whom I befriended and he taught me self defense from a young age...my dad was an ex-armored guy and he and this neighbor used to talk-a lot...

It wasn't until I joined the military and went into the special forces when he would talk to me about some of his experiences in 'Nam....he did 3 tours so there was a lot to talk about.

I don't talk about my former occupation to my former colleagues other than the day to day drudgery we all experienced while in garrison...we normally just hang out and enjoy the simple stuff...people would be bored with us pretty quickly.

Well, we are bound by the law to not speak on mission or tactical specifics and I hold to that.

Growing up, we had a Viet Nam era SEAL living near by whom I befriended and he taught me self defense from a young age...my dad was an ex-armored guy and he and this neighbor used to talk-a lot...

It wasn't until I joined the military and went into the special forces when he would talk to me about some of his experiences in 'Nam....he did 3 tours so there was a lot to talk about.

I don't talk about my former occupation to my former colleagues other than the day to day drudgery we all experienced while in garrison...we normally just hang out and enjoy the simple stuff...people would be bored with us pretty quickly.
I'll take that as a yes, lol

I'll take that as a yes, lol
There are days when one of my former colleagues stop by in the summer and we sit out in the gazebo, feed a chipmunk I've befriended and watch the frogs in my pond.....no stress or fuss....

Sometimes I'll light a fire and we'll sit around that, make smores and talk about nothing in particular....none of my neighbors know my background other than I was in the military...I don't wear any military gear or anything like that...

When I'm out and about I sometimes see people who just can't let it go and wear around some of their old gear and the latest thing I've been seeing is these murals in the back window of pickup trucks which I find to be pretty egotistical in nature...pictures of the driver in his military uniform and his "hero" shot....

I just don't get it...I won't even get a veteran's license plate.

There are days when one of my former colleagues stop by in the summer and we sit out in the gazebo, feed a chipmunk I've befriended and watch the frogs in my pond.....no stress or fuss....

Sometimes I'll light a fire and we'll sit around that, make smores and talk about nothing in particular....none of my neighbors know my background other than I was in the military...I don't wear any military gear or anything like that...

When I'm out and about I sometimes see people who just can't let it go and wear around some of their old gear and the latest thing I've been seeing is these murals in the back window of pickup trucks which I find to be pretty egotistical in nature...pictures of the driver in his military uniform and his "hero" shot....

That outlook I also respect.
I have been fortunate enough to have met a few old timers(not Spec Ops, that I am aware of), and they are all very humble.
The WW2 guys I've known and seen like to wear their WW2 hats, and I have heard them say, "We just wear them so we recognize one another...before we're all dead, haha".
I also know a really nice guy, long time now, late 50's, a local carpenter born and raised here, and a good friend of the wife's family. He was in the Navy.
I asked him what he did, he said "I was a Rigger and a Welder" no suprise, given his impressive skill set.
Also very fit for his age.
My brother-in-law told me that his granfather(whom I knew many years)a WW2 vet who passed a couple years ago at 99, told him, don't let John fool you, and keep it to yourself, he went IN the Navy as a Welder...but he was a Navy SEAL.
Given both their humble characters, I don't doubt it.
Most all you guys seem the same in that regard.

You know this got close to home with me. I have 2 neighbors. Both retired military. I have never discussed I am military or what I did when I do.

One was a boots on the ground WO Army Ranger that was in Afghan and Iraq.

The other I think was also Army. Firefighter.

Both of them have said at different times, you are military aren't you? Yes. Intel right? I'm like chyt I'm gonna have to kill both of you. I ask how they know. They said it's obvious. And not in a bad way. Nothing rattles you and your always prepared for everything.

I remember when I was plopped into places they briefed us on how we are spotted. I figured that wore off by now some 20 years later.

Let me ask you guys out of curiosity.
I always wanted to be a helicopter pilot.
During my senior year I signed up for the Army, scored high on the ASVAB test, and was told I qualified. I was denied on Medical(flat feet, screws in bones), tried 2 more times, appealed and disqualified by the Surgeon General.
Regardless, before I was denied the privaledge, I was told to pick a job for a year because you had to be 19 to attend Warrant Officer flight training(this was 1995).
My wife's grandfather was in WW2, was a Supply Sergeant, went ahead of infantry and built bridges to replace what the Germans had blown up in their retreat, so the allies could follow.
He did nearly 4 years active duty, and 22 in the reserves. Later becoming Coast Guard in the 60's on a large and newly manmade lake nearby(for a dam/hydroelectric power).
They patrolled it for the first several years, and then CG pulled out and he retired.
After he passed, I saw documents stating that he was an Army Warrant Officer, yet he never had anything to do with flying.
So I say all of this to ask; how was he a Warrant Officer?
I know an Officer needs a degree, and to have completed Officer's School/training.
And that a Warrant Officer somehow bridges the gap between them and Enlisted??
I was led to belive that a WO was for flight only?
Would one of you please explain it to me?

Let me ask you guys out of curiosity.
I always wanted to be a helicopter pilot.
During my senior year I signed up for the Army, scored high on the ASVAB test, and was told I qualified. I was denied on Medical(flat feet, screws in bones), tried 2 more times, appealed and disqualified by the Surgeon General.
Regardless, before I was denied the privaledge, I was told to pick a job for a year because you had to be 19 to attend Warrant Officer flight training(this was 1995).
My wife's grandfather was in WW2, was a Supply Sergeant, went ahead of infantry and built bridges to replace what the Germans had blown up in their retreat, so the allies could follow.
He did nearly 4 years active duty, and 22 in the reserves. Later becoming Coast Guard in the 60's on a large and newly manmade lake nearby(for a dam/hydroelectric power).
They patrolled it for the first several years, and then CG pulled out and he retired.
After he passed, I saw documents stating that he was an Army Warrant Officer, yet he never had anything to do with flying.
So I say all of this to ask; how was he a Warrant Officer?
I know an Officer needs a degree, and to have completed Officer's School/training.
And that a Warrant Officer somehow bridges the gap between them and Enlisted??
I was led to belive that a WO was for flight only?
Would one of you please explain it to me?
That's a question for the US Army guys like @SSGT_B or @TallTom or someone like them..

A Warrant Officer in our military is a whole different rank structure...ours are Senior Non-commissioned Members of the military....our rank structure is pretty simple.

I will say I've met US Warrant Officers in various trades and positions and they didn't fly aircraft.

That's a question for the US Army guys like @SSGT_B or @TallTom or someone like them..

A Warrant Officer in our military is a whole different rank structure...ours are Senior Non-commissioned Members of the military....our rank structure is pretty simple.

I will say I've met US Warrant Officers in various trades and positions and they didn't fly aircraft.
Gotcha
Thankyou sir

Just in the right places in the right time is all....do the courses and the time and it's inevitable to be promoted I suppose.
As far as the U.S. Military goes, each branch has a few groups of Spec Ops, like the Army has Rangers, Green Berets,(I know they have FrogMen and no idea where they fit in) the Air Force has PJ's, etc, and each seems to have it's on specific tasks.
But do you guys cross train?
I wouldn't expect to find a Ranger in a Submarine(not that I would know), but would a unit that is thought of as more traditionally land based still be trained some say in what would be more the role of a SEAL?
As I have read(again, I wouldn't know) that each SEAL team has a different role, under most circumstances.
That the Army's DELTA force is primarily used for high profile hostage rescue or enemy capture Ops, and that their team is composed of guys from all branches.
I belive as you say there will be variances between the U.S and Canada, and nothing I ask is meant to pry into things that aren't allowed to be answered.
Just as a fan of you guys and the military in general, my curiosity leads me to ask those who know, vs what is seen on tv.

As far as the U.S. Military goes, each branch has a few groups of Spec Ops, like the Army has Rangers, Green Berets,(I know they have FrogMen and no idea where they fit in) the Air Force has PJ's, etc, and each seems to have it's on specific tasks.
But do you guys cross train?
I wouldn't expect to find a Ranger in a Submarine(not that I would know), but would a unit that is thought of as more traditionally land based still be trained some say in what would be more the role of a SEAL?
As I have read(again, I wouldn't know) that each SEAL team has a different role, under most circumstances.
That the Army's DELTA force is primarily used for high profile hostage rescue or enemy capture Ops, and that their team is composed of guys from all branches.
I belive as you say there will be variances between the U.S and Canada, and nothing I ask is meant to pry into things that aren't allowed to be answered.
Just as a fan of you guys and the military in general, my curiosity leads me to ask those who know, vs what is seen on tv.
The US has a few tiers of special forces, each has a specific mission and is designed for those missions. Canada has a lot smaller military so our special forces are smaller and are not as specific nor as specialized in most cases...we have specialized special forces but not on the same scale.

International cross training is a constant thing as interoperability is paramount. Even our conventional forces participate in many international training opportunities.

Even interoperability between nonconventional and conventional forces is very important....usually a special force element is attached to each conventional force in order to increase that force's capability. Generally special forces rely on conventional forces for support in theater...

While we were in Afghanistan for instance, we would fall under the battle group commander and report to him.

The US has a few tiers of special forces, each has a specific mission and is designed for those missions. Canada has a lot smaller military so our special forces are smaller and are not as specific nor as specialized in most cases...we have specialized special forces but not on the same scale.

International cross training is a constant thing as interoperability is paramount. Even our conventional forces participate in many international training opportunities.

Even interoperability between nonconventional and conventional forces is very important....usually a special force element is attached to each conventional force in order to increase that force's capability. Generally special forces rely on conventional forces for support in theater...

While we were in Afghanistan for instance, we would fall under the battle group commander and report to him.
Cool
Thanks for taking the time to explain all of that.

Back