Why is it?

Bumblebee

Donating Member
Registered
Why can car companies go crazy with their vehicles building cars and trucks with insane hp figures and let them be unleashed on the public but motorcycle companies are limited?

The hp wars are alive and kicking in the pick up truck segment as well as the car/SUV segment....

Ram and it's TRX, Ford with it's Raptor both over 700hp and nary a thought of any limitations..

Mustangs, Camaros, Challengers, Chargers, European cars and SUVs all with crazy hp figures placed into the hands of "Joe and Jane public" No driving courses are required, no speed limiters are needed...

Recently a new driver (19 yrs old) was stopped doing over 300kms/hr in his parents Mercedes,

That same person couldn't get anywhere near a motorcycle which is capable of those speeds yet he was handed the keys of a vehicle that could....

I just don't get it....

Those cars have extensive driver aids to make those kinds of hp figures possible to turn Joe-average loose with. It takes lots of practice and training to do that with any level of safety on a bike. That will never change BTW, as 2 wheels are inherently less stable than 4.
There are still lots of those vehicles wrapped around trees or involved in deadly accidents..

What I really get concerned over is the ability for a beginner driver (teenager) to be able to get behind the wheel of one of these so easily...as the video shows and that is only one of many I saw.

There are still lots of those vehicles wrapped around trees or involved in deadly accidents..

What I really get concerned over is the ability for a beginner driver (teenager) to be able to get behind the wheel of one of these so easily...as the video shows and that is only one of many I saw.
True, and sooner or later those crashes are going to make the law put back limits. That's the process.

They've been occurring for years and years and no limit has been set...if anything, the manufacturers are stepping up with more and more powerful vehicles.
I drive about 800 miles a week and I've noticed more and more of these cars (Dodge Hellcats, Mustangs 5.0, Benz AMG) on the road. I was looking that dealerships and banks now offer a 96 month loan term. So if these cars are becoming more accessible and the money flowing to corporations, why would any law be put in place to stop that?

I drive about 800 miles a week and I've noticed more and more of these cars (Dodge Hellcats, Mustangs 5.0, Benz AMG) on the road. I was looking that dealerships and banks now offer a 96 month loan term. So if these cars are becoming more accessible and the money flowing to corporations, why would any law be put in place to stop that?
Not to stop the sale but to limit them same as motorcycles.

I'm kind of surprised big government hasn't stepped in like they do with everything else. There is the big "go green" push and these types of vehicles are anything but that.

I know the prices (when new) and insurance premiums of these vehicles will keep most drivers at bay though, maybe the regulatory bodies see this as well?

Not to stop the sale but to limit them same as motorcycles.

I'm kind of surprised big government hasn't stepped in like they do with everything else. There is the big "go green" push and these types of vehicles are anything but that.

I know the prices (when new) and insurance premiums of these vehicles will keep most drivers at bay though, maybe the regulatory bodies see this as well?
Remember the motorcycle limit is self-imposed. There is a prejudice against bikes/bikers though. People see them as dangerous and the number of motorcycle riding voters is way less than drivers. How long before some arse-wipe politician decided to make a name for themselves ridding the road of these two-wheeled suicide machines that get lower mileage than cars?

Remember the motorcycle limit is self-imposed. There is a prejudice against bikes/bikers though. People see them as dangerous and the number of motorcycle riding voters is way less than drivers. How long before some arse-wipe politician decided to make a name for themselves ridding the road of these two-wheeled suicide machines that get lower mileage than cars?
I don't know about riding voters being lower than drivers seeing as most everyone who owns a bike also owns some sort of 4 wheeled vehicle...

Big motorcycle companies probably pay a lobby fee to politicians same as the car industry...

Right now a lot has stopped production with the shortage of semiconductor chips a lot of high performance car production has ceased, even shutting down the ford plant for a week. Official: Ford Has Been Forced To Stop Mustang Production. Seems Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company can't keep up with demand and we (USA) blacklisted China’s Semiconductor Manufacturing International Corporation the other big Semiconductor firm. I wonder if it's going to affect the bike market at some point.

Why is it that all these tuner cars are so loud and obnoxious?

My bike has a full Yosh system on it yet it is relatively quiet and far quieter than these tuner cars with the fart cans on them...

I can honestly see how and why people hate them.

Those and the pickup trucks with the muffler delete on them...those are very obnoxious as well....it seems those two types of vehicles are the most popular.

There are still lots of those vehicles [with driver aids] wrapped around trees or involved in deadly accidents..
Have you looked at the exotic sports car crash videos on Youtube? There's so many of them that crash trying to drift around a corner from a dead stop and almost as many that simply spin out of control in a normal drag race. If any cars have driver aids, I'd think those would be them but they're still getting piled up by drivers that (I assume) test the power without knowing the power.

Why can car companies go crazy with their vehicles building cars and trucks with insane hp figures and let them be unleashed on the public but motorcycle companies are limited?

The hp wars are alive and kicking in the pick up truck segment as well as the car/SUV segment....

Ram and it's TRX, Ford with it's Raptor both over 700hp and nary a thought of any limitations..

Mustangs, Camaros, Challengers, Chargers, European cars and SUVs all with crazy hp figures placed into the hands of "Joe and Jane public" No driving courses are required, no speed limiters are needed...

Recently a new driver (19 yrs old) was stopped doing over 300kms/hr in his parents Mercedes,

That same person couldn't get anywhere near a motorcycle which is capable of those speeds yet he was handed the keys of a vehicle that could....

I just don't get it....

Your point is well taken. I shuddered one time at the picture I once saw of a car wrapped around a tree so completely that is looked like it was a frozen wash rag in the wind that was stuck to the tree.

In a general sense I don't think the political body cares all that much for several reasons.
1. Ralph Nader is pretty much retired and nobody has really stepped in to shine a light on this subject.
2. MADD has made their collective voices heard and the drinking and diving lobby has gained a level of compliance that satisfies them at some level though it's still an issue.
3. Part of it could be overall vocal sentiment that is fueled by extremist groups that is drowning out and over whelming the public square on social media to the point that most people aren't aware of it.
4. The political body is too preoccupied with all the other issues of the day to give this issue much time or attention.

However... I do know that people ( drivers ) in general are more apt to get on their cell phones and call the police to complain about wild drivers on the street. I know that here is Socal people complain about sport bikes and other bikers running at illegal speeds at City Council meetings. California just passed a new law that makes blocking traffic on a roadway to initiate a drag race of some other illegal activity is now against the law.

That distinctive sound of those 392 Super charged Dodges is prevalent in my area and occasionally I can hear them under full throttle on the street or out on the interstate ( 1.5 miles aways) late at night doing battle with sport bikes and other cars with loud exhaust. Just blocks from my house you can see fresh donuts and long burnouts that make you wonder if Dodge is filming their TV commercials in my neighborhood. We have a lot of Dodges in this area and I even met a well heeled Tesla employee at the 7-11 one day that was driving one of those Demons. Since that time I have seen him blasting down the road a few times enjoying the power that Dodge designed into them.

Have you looked at the exotic sports car crash videos on Youtube? There's so many of them that crash trying to drift around a corner from a dead stop and almost as many that simply spin out of control in a normal drag race. If any cars have driver aids, I'd think those would be them but they're still getting piled up by drivers that (I assume) test the power without knowing the power.
I've watched a few....

It seems people don't respect the power these cars have...and many don't know how to drive a rear wheel drive as there have been so many front wheel drive cars for so long.

I heard talk one time (here in Canada) that the government was mulling the idea of requiring people to have enhanced driver training before they could own such a vehicle like a Hellcat or Gt500 or a ZL1...I suspect that was the insurance companies lobbying for that....

It didn't materialize thankfully.

Hate to say it but being in SoCal and having every damn dragstrip either get shutdown or ppl attempt to shut em down, I feel like the ppl who complain about street racing and the exhausts are the same ppl that should be lobbying for the tracks to be open. But it’s just the opposite.

I hear the new muscle cars pretty much every night doing runs on the freeway. I know my Harley will Outrun most of them but they do sound good lol no complaints here. maybe if enough ppl wreck em, they’ll open up a 1/4mile dragstrip out here again, get em off the streets.

Hate to say it but being in SoCal and having every damn dragstrip either get shutdown or ppl attempt to shut em down, I feel like the ppl who complain about street racing and the exhausts are the same ppl that should be lobbying for the tracks to be open. But it’s just the opposite.

I hear the new muscle cars pretty much every night doing runs on the freeway. I know my Harley will Outrun most of them but they do sound good lol no complaints here. maybe if enough ppl wreck em, they’ll open up a 1/4mile dragstrip out here again, get em off the streets.

What’s this about a Harley outrunning something?

Back