Why did you choose a busa?

still dont have mine yet (looking for a cheap stock 99 or 2000 that i can pimp to my style)
but i was reading a bike mag(cant remember what one) the cover said"satan your busa is ready" and just loved the styling of it.
of course it was modded heavy it even had carbon fiber wings to hold the front down.
someday (soon i hope) ill get mine then ride with chrisjp.

3 reasons.
1-
Mile- 256.79 MPH on a Turbo Hayabusa‬‏ - YouTube[/url]
2- same bike in biker boyz
3- like all people know motorcycles kill people and my busa forced me to buy it unless I wanted to die, so to save my life I gave into my busa's demands ( who would think that an inatimate object could threaten you?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Posted this over on Busa Nation. Lots of people liked it so I'll post here as it's on topic.

The first motorcycle I ever saw up close was in New Mexico. My father took me to a race and I didn’t even know what I was watching. There was no “I have to do that†sort of feeling watching the race; I was mostly just fascinated with the bikes themselves.

My passion for motorcycling didn’t really begin until several years later when I was 12. My father bought me one of those Sears mini bikes with the lawnmower engine. From there it was onto a Suzuki trail bike. I soon had that old Suzuki TS125 stripped like a motocrosser. The bike was a fixer-upper, so I spent many hours in the garage working on it for every hour getting it dirty.

Then one day I got to climb aboard a friend’s new Suzuki RM370. That was the first time I experienced power in its most brutal, intoxicating form. It was the type of power that imprints itself on your psyche; one of those experiences that fits forever in your memory between your first true love and your worst nightmare.

I would read everything I could about motorcycles. I was interested as much in the technology as I was in riding them. I read about engines, suspensions, and the history of different bikes. In high school I designed a suspension system that used linkages to achieve greater wheel travel from a smaller shock. My parents put up the money for a patent search and we discovered that my design was really similar to one already patented a couple years earlier by Honda. The fact that Honda beat me to it wasn’t disappointing though, it made me believe maybe I could be good at this. So I started looking for a way to be a part of professional motorcycling. Unfortunately back then there weren’t many roles in professional motorcycle racing for Blacks, or even amature racing for that matter. I soon found myself at Virginia Tech and Architecture replaced engines as my favorite past time.

So the years zipped past without bikes and my life was focused on adult problems, stresses, buildings, and obligations. One Saturday about 4 years ago I was running errands and I drove past the dealership I used to go to back when I was riding dirt bikes. I remember thinking back then that one day I was going to come into that dealership and buy any bike I want, maybe even a couple bikes. Walking into the dealership that Saturday it hit me that the day was today; I could buy any bike I want, even a couple! A few hours of indecision later and the salesman convinced me to start slow with a bright red Suzuki SV650.

Until the day I got that SV home, I had never ridden on the street but I fell madly in love with it in less than a block. The SV was slow but nimble and very fun to ride. It was also easy to ride aside from a monster amount of engine breaking. I re-learned the dynamics of riding quickly on the SV. After a few days I realized that street riding was actually more fun to me than dirt riding. Off-road was more about technique and much more physical. Riding on a road was more like a chess game, a lot of thinking and only a few critical skills to master. Sure, the stakes were much higher but that made it even more seductive. If I had done this 20 years ago I would have been racing bikes, no doubt about it.

After only 2 months I knew the SV wasn’t enough. My need for that feeling of electricity I had experienced on the RM370 still burned in the back of my mind after 25 years. I went back to the dealer for a bigger bike. When I walked into the dealer’s showroom, I walked up to an 2008 orange & black Hayabusa. I had been studying the bike and it’s history, wondering what 180 horsepower in a 500 lb bike would be like. Leaning there on it’s kickstand it looked like a prize bull waiting for the gate to drop, daring anyone to stay onboard for more than a few seconds. Here was a legend, the fastest motorcycle on the planet and it was mine for the taking. But I was an old man with lots of responsibilities I thought, this was crazy.

As had been the case so often in my adult life, I did the sensible thing, I bought a Suzuki Bandit 1250. The Bandit is an awesome bike. What the bandit lacked in street credibility it more than made up for in personality and spunk. The 1250 was so good in fact that the only thing I ever regretted about the Bandit was selling it.

On a Friday afternoon I headed out on the Bandit for my usual quick ride. As I came around a corner a truck crossed into my lane and ran me off the road. I had to bury that Bandit and I broke my shoulder. I had actually said that I would give up riding after my first crash. But It was a strange experience, not at all what I expected. I made all the right decisions in the accident. I didn’t cross my lane even when the oncoming truck forced me into the ditch beside the road. I didn’t get twisted with the controls or panic, I put the bike right where I wanted and would have walked away without a scratch had my foot not been caught on the bars as I made my exit. I remember hitting the ground and hearing my shoulder snap, then laying there upside down and taking inventory on working parts – “fingers work, legs work, arms moving, not so bad – looks like we dodged that bulletâ€. The police drove me home and I walked into the house and told my wife hello, I had a little accident, the bike was towed but I am fine. then I told her I was going out for a minute and I went to the hospital to get looked at. No way I was letting on how bad my shoulder felt. I replaced the Bandit even before my shoulder was healed and I could ride again. When I got back on the bike I was more comfortable than ever riding, there was no fear at all.

Over the next few years I put upgrade after upgrade on that second Bandit. It was a childhood dream fulfilled. I loved wrenching and riding and the Bandit and I did that every weekend. The Bandit got faster and faster and was the very definition of an over-achiever. Then I ran out of things to do to it. I had done the exhaust, added a TFI, cut the air box, upgraded the suspension, and a host of other things. There was just nothing left to do to the bike.

One Saturday I sat in the garage looking at the Bandit, the Bandit looking at me. It was time to give up on sensible and buy the RM 370 of my adulthood. I didn’t want to wonder about the Busa the rest of my life, I had to know what it felt like to command that kind of thrust. I went to the dealer and bought a silver/silver 2009 Hayabusa.

The day I picked her up was like a hundred Christmases. As a grown man, you just don’t get many of these moments. They brought the bike out and the whole dealership was there to see her off. Mine was the first 09 out the door, although it was the second one sold. I climbed on her and set the mode selector to “Câ€, the tamest selection. I rolled on the throttle and the beast felt like, well sort of like my Bandit! I switched to “B†mode, then “Aâ€. Still the legend felt like my Bandit, much higher feel of quality but this was no raging bull, the Busa was a very friendly ride.

I stuck to the Suzuki break-in procedures to a tee. I was looking down at the odometer when it clicked to 1000 and I dropped the hammer in 2nd gear. The bike roared, lifted the front wheel about 18 inches off the road and carried it there through 3rd gear. The Hayabusa will amaze you every time you ride it. Whether it’s how civilized the bike is at normal speeds, how crazy the warp drive is, or how a 500 lb bike can get down into a sweeper, the bike is like nothing else on the road.

It was less than a year before I tore the Busa apart. I started fixing and upgrading, even a little paint to make her unique. I love riding this bike and I love working on it too. A lot of people buy a bike like this for all the wrong reasons. If you don’t respect it the Busa will kill you, it’s always capable of exceeding your ability. But the ride on country roads dropping into a curve, blasting to speeds you wouldn’t believe possible, or just putting around, exploring your relationship with the bike becomes almost spiritual.

A guy my age should know better. I’ve heard more than a few times that I’m going through a mid life crisis or something. But the truth is that day I rode the Suzuki RM370 I started a journey that led me to the Hayabusa. I could pretend to be a sensible, professional, responsible adult. But the bottom line is I could either listen to my heart and own a Hayabusa or pretend to be responsible and want to own one.

Various reasons for me.

I'm never in the middle. I'm always at complete opposites of the spectrum, either I have the best of the best or the cheapest of the cheap. However, when it comes to my toys, I almost always go for the best.

I only passed my MSF course less than a month ago. I initially purchased a 2011 Harley Davidson Fat Boy Lo. Being a new rider I didn't want to "crash" the Harley, so I bought a used 2010 Ninja 250 off of a kid on CL the same week to use as my "practicecycle." A week after passing my course, just from browsing around I was watching some youtube slideshow videos of "fastest/coolest motorcycles." The Hayabusa always came up.

I ended up on this forum and some other discussions off of google. I started reading about how legendary this motorcycle is and how it is a motorcycle that no one should have as a first bike. Well, one thing led to another and the next weekend my garage had a third motorcycle in it.

I always like a good challenge. Just as an example, 3 years ago I purchased a brand new Bullitt Mustang. I drove it out of the dealership having never driven a manual car before in my entire life. So the whole mystique/taboo of purchasing the Busa as a first bike enthralled me even more.

I've only got 50 miles on the bike so far (I got it fresh off the crate with 0 miles), but I absolutely love it- 400 miles on the Ninja 250 and 50 miles on the Harley, so I'm putting my time in to learn. It's not as comfortable as the Harley, but it's so amazingly agile. I must say though, if I wasn't lucky enough to have the funds to take the MSF course and have a "practicecycle" to beat up on... I would never get this bike as a first bike. I think it would be suicide to have never ridden before, take a scooter for the road test, and then hop on a motorcycle like this without having any prior experience whatsoever. Otherwise, this bike is really about the rider. You can ride it like a maniac and kill yourself if you go above your skill level or you can ride it like a cruiser and always pay respect by being super attentive of the throttle on the bike. :bowdown: to the Busa.

I was riding a Kantuna all a 62 year old man needed . Then I found this little toy motorcycle it was a Hayabusa in my yard . I brought it in and put on my desk as I played on the net I would look at it . I decided I want to see one in person and on a Sunday drove to dealer looked thru window and their set a blue and a red 2007. . Monday when he opened I went in look at the blue one .Bought it and rode home . Funny after the real one show up at house The little toy disappeared . :whistle: I sold the other bike in less than a week.

After not having a bike since 1979, a GS750 I knew nothing about bikes in this day and age, I started looking at bike magazines, and decided on a BMW R1200RT, then I saw a B-KING and wanted that, I know it's not a tourer but it sort of had a back seat at least that's what i told Lynne.:whistle:. Then she said what about this and pointed out a Busa, I'd missed it, I think because it looked like a sports bike and when I was looking at bikes in 2000 and something the guy in the shop said I would be to big for a sports bike, so perhaps it stuck in my brain. So I decided to get a Busa had to wait months and months before I got it, and I love the thing. So really I have to say Lynne chose it.:bowdown:.

I originally wanted a ZX-14 but thank God none were available. Couldn't be happier with the decision.

My first bike was a Kawi EX500. I was way too heavy for the stock suspension and wanted a bike that required my respect when accelerating. I had been eyeballing the/my future bike down at the dealer for a few months and decided she was the one for me. Honestly the deciding factor was probably the bikes outspoken reputation combined with that it was the only orange bike I had scene. I loves me some orange lol.

Was looking to buy my first toy after 45 years of working my arse off :laugh: Was actually looking at cars, but found the Hayabusa for six to ten times less money and more performance. One of the best decisions I ever made in my life :bowdown:

Two years earlier I had returned to riding after 25 years away and chose a cruiser. I had been flirting with the idea of a sportier type of bike. at that time I was 6'1 360+ I simply did not fit on a R1, and decided on the Busa knowing it was getting a turbo kit because I wanted the same acceleration that the 5'8 165lb Asian guy that designed it felt. Then went ahead and lost 135lbs. LOVE the Turbo even More now

Burn rubber not your sole "smoke"

smoke.JPG

I chose the Busa because of a wreck I had back in 07. I used to ride cruisers but I crushed my pelvis is 4 spots (along with several other parts of my body) and sitting straight up bothered me way too much. It was to the point that I almost gave up riding when I let a buddy of my convince me to ride his 1k around for the day. Leaning forward takes all the pressure of the back of my pelvis so I can ride relatively pain free. After kicking it on a 600 ZZR for 3 months I bought the busa. I had no idea what I was getting or that it was the fastest bike. All I knew was that it fit me like a glove when I sat on one during a poker run. I sold my cruiser and my ZZR the next week and bought my baby, and I’m soooooooo glad I did.

My 1k was stolen, and I wanted to upgrade my speed. Doesn't hurt that I bought it for 400$ (yes needs a little work)

I have always loved sportbikes. I remember when Honda came out with the VF1000 Interceptor. We were at the DuQuoin Magic mile (1 mile dirt oval) and 99% of the bikes were harleys. They had blocked off a road in the fiargrounds and were drag racing. THis guy in the new Honda was waxing all their asses, time after time. It was the first "full fairing" bike I had seen and I loved it!.

As I got older, I still wanted to buy a sportbike, but finances never permitted. Then I saw the Busa. We were at the dragstrip, and I was amazed at the numbers this stock bike was laying down.

Even better, it looked NOTHING like any other sport bike. Truthfully, you can line up every 600, 750 and 1k bike, side by side and 90% of the people could not tell one from another without reading the stickers.

The final thing was the fact that it was comfortable! Not all balled up like the hypersport bikes.....

Back