We are wasting a valuable resource!

Silent Shogun

Registered
The "motorcyle wave"!!! I went for a ride alongside the ohio river today for a few hours and seen about 50 motorcycles in a 100 mile ride one way. This road is pretty straight so you end up speeding before you realize it...yea i ended up at 120...it didn't feel like it!! (Got rid of the jitters on a nice set of twisties yesterday!! It feels solid again!)

As i was going along though, doing my obligatory "wave" to the riders going the opposite way...I was really wishing we as riders could come up with a wave to let other riders know the police are running a trap that way... I know in cars people will flash their lights, but i have NEVER had anyone flash their lights to me. Car or bike....even when i pass a cop a little later.

Just trying to beat the system...if anything just remember to flash your lights when you see a cop....well away from the cop since it is illegal to warn people or so i have been told..

watch for peeps tapping their helmet

I thought they were telling me my helmet was messed up! :laugh:

Serioiusly, i haven't even seen anyone do that...never heard of it before though! Guess we did have something...ill withdraw and pull this foot out of my mouth :whistle:

In CA we do the helmet tap. Hand gets tired lately tapping it so often.

Seems CA CHP have really stepped up patrols and cancelled vacations or something.

i usually point my left index finger up and wave in a circular motion to insinuate police light signal followed by the patting downward motion to slow down. stupid yes, but i never knew the tap method.

hhmm, I will start carrying a large poster board that says "POLICE AHEAD". Think wind will be a problem?!:rofl:

Helmet tap seems to be what I will look out for/do for others from now on. Good post!

In CA we do the helmet tap. Hand gets tired lately tapping it so often.

Seems CA CHP have really stepped up patrols and cancelled vacations or something.

A friend of mine just completed the CHP training. He said they are adding 2,300 new officers to start with.

Just trying to beat the system...if anything just remember to flash your lights when you see a cop....well away from the cop since it is illegal to warn people or so i have been told..

I can 2nd this, Two years ago just as the sun was going down, I got popped warning other drivers. Fought it and won, go figure :beerchug:

I can 2nd this, Two years ago just as the sun was going down, I got popped warning other drivers. Fought it and won, go figure :beerchug:

u got stopped for warning other drivers....what the heck...thats ridiculous....so what if you tell them there is a cop ahead

Yeah, he gave me the bull story, "you are obstructing justice" ect ect, wrote me a "impeding traffic" ticket. Basically their 'our ticket to just get money but no points'. I fought it and told them that the guy going the opposing way next to the cop had his brights on. Dismissed.

Funny thing is... I still flash whenever I see them.

1+ on the helmet tap.

BTW: I've always wondered about the "obstruction of justice" crap. In NC it's the law that one should "change lanes or reduce speed" when they see a LEO on the road (due to officer safety).

So a possible canned rant could be, "Officer I was just trying to save your life! It's the law you know!". Just a thought.

Chris

I agree. The helmet tap is the common signal that seems to be prevalent.

A helmet tap from me is always given to ones who don't have them on .
I give them a tap on mine like ':wtf: where is your lid'

never seen it or gotten it in warning of pork ?

Helmet tap is not used at all here in Canada...still flash the headlights, or make rotating motion with your hand. Not too common that people do it anymore but it is perfectly legal. I've been to court over it though as has my Uncle.

Back