Waving to cops.

Bruce Bell

Registered
Who here has ever waved to cop, especially the one at speed traps. Today a group of us where traveling thur a well know speed trap. On coming car flashed their lites I thankfully waved to them. The zone is only 35 mph, we chugged thru at 25 or so. There he sat, a state trooper with his radar, ready to pinch us. I gave him a big old wave, he almost looked mad. The other guys thought I was stupid, causing attention to him. I told them, we were only going 25 in a 35. I think it irritates them, but that's their problem. So wave to the popo.

I always wave when I pass them tryin to tag me. Nothin wrong with that. Where I'm from originally its a simple understanding, if your speeding and see a cop, slow down, wave to acknowledge you see him and go on by. Usually they'll just leave you alone if you do. Waving to cops isn't a bad thing in my opinion :whistle:

I waved to one yesterday on a heavily traveled sport bike mountain road, he ignored me, but I know he saw me. Nothing wrong with being friendly on both sides of the law.

i admit it, i wave at them too, but not to be an arse whole though. where i'm from we're just all around nice people, even to the popo:beerchug: it's gotten me out of a few tickets being nice.

I always give a wave to the popo's ,fire trucks and rescue personal when passsing, they are out there putting their lives on the line to protect us, so I give'm a salute when passing as a thank you

the question is,,,,why WOULDN'T you wave?

If anything, waving will help break down the anomosity between cops and sport bike riders.

I take the back road to work through local neighborhood in my mustang and sometimes just let it burble through and hear the catless exhaust talk back to me. At least 4 times a week see a motorcycle cop tucked back in the same spot. I know one of these days he is going to get me in there but one morning I saw him sitting there radar ready. I came to a complete stop as I took off he raised the radar and pointed it at me as I came off that stop sign and I waved my finger at him as if "no no not today mister" and I saw the biggest grin go across his face as he dropped that radar gun and laughed shaking his head.

Now I know one day he is going to get me so maybe this one day I made him laugh and know that all these mornings I drove it right he might let me be???? Dunnno

I wave at them quite a bit. It's just about being friendly and showing some respect. Hopefully they take it as a little bit of thanks in an often thankless job.

i wave too. in fact it may have saved me from a speeding ticket a few weeks back at about midnight on my way home from work. i sometimes take the long way so i can get the 5 curves i can get on the way home. my favorite one is just before my exit and its a 50mph zone due to upcoming construction. i like to hit it about 80 or so. nobody is out at midnight cept that silly officer. i was down to about 70 when i went past him leaned over. i just waved. i curved over to my exit and he pulled out. i thought darn it i just got busted, but i got a green light at the top of the exit and he went the other way.

whew close call. you know he saw me....hid's and bright orange 08.

I wave at bike cops all the time. In Tucson, UAPD started to recognize me (not many white Busas around campus). There were a few TPD snobs that would look down their nose at me, but I think bike cops from both departments turned their heads a couple times when I passed by a bit quickly.

I don't wave at them because around here they ride Harley's. And we all know Harley guys never wave back.

I'll wave if the seem to be looking. Pretty much always wave to the town cops here in the little burg I live in.
Some county guys will wave back, most of the time the staties don't. They always seem preoccupied and concentrating on going somewhere.

I always wave. Nothing wrong with being friendly. And they are just doing their job, even if their job involves giving us tickets.

I wave if they are riding like I do other riders , but not if they are on the side of the road

I think its best not to draw any attention to yourself. The guy might be having a bad day AND be biased against sb riders AND he may interpret your waving as being a smartass. I would only wave or nod if the officer does first.

Back