See a cop Warner Brother

Do you warn other riders of a cop in the near area?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I will give the helmet tap to let another rider know to watch their speed. I have many friends in law enforcement, and without exception, they are some of the best people you could ever know. I have always felt that if I'm riding and doing things I shouldn't be doing on the road and get a ticket it's on ME. I would never think the worse of a cop for doing their job. I do find it interesting that most of the people that bash cops couldn't get them to come soon enough when they feel they NEED them. My hat is off to all the LEOs out there, I couldn't do your job.:bowdown:

I will give the helmet tap to let another rider know to watch their speed. I have many friends in law enforcement, and without exception, they are some of the best people you could ever know. I have always felt that if I'm riding and doing things I shouldn't be doing on the road and get a ticket it's on ME. I would never think the worse of a cop for doing their job. I do find it interesting that most of the people that bash cops couldn't get them to come soon enough when they feel they NEED them. My hat is off to all the LEOs out there, I couldn't do your job.:bowdown:

I agree. Cops have the hardest job in the country IMHO. We are brought up in a society learning to hate cops and not trust them. It's a tough day knowing most of the people you deal with on a daily basis hate you just because of your job. I love it when I hear the guy complaining about the ticket he just got, when you ask well were you speeding? The response is well yeah.... Well guess you deserved it. Not saying there aren't a few bad apples out there but 99% of the time if you are nice and treat them with respect they will respond in kind and occasionally loose the paper work for the ticket you just got :).

Still warn others of traps though. At least in colorado they can't do crazy things like hide in bushes and dress up like a bum with a sign with a radar gun behind it. Man I hated Florida.

Agreed Hal, We got stopped in the panhandle on our way home from Colorado early Sunday morning. I met a trooper head on doing 74 in a 65. As soon as I saw him hit his lights we braked and hit the shoulder. Gave me a warning and sent us on our way. Nice guy, but I was fully prepared to take the ticket and mail in my check. :beerchug:

Agreed Hal, We got stopped in the panhandle on our way home from Colorado early Sunday morning. I met a trooper head on doing 74 in a 65. As soon as I saw him hit his lights we braked and hit the shoulder. Gave me a warning and sent us on our way. Nice guy, but I was fully prepared to take the ticket and mail in my check. :beerchug:

74 in a 65 on an interstate? I would hope you wouldnt get a ticket. Cops here wont usually bother you on the interstate till about 11+
Now there small towns, in which I live in kinda a mayberry City with 3 cop cars. They Will setup Speed traps on nice windy back roads Speed limit 30mph and begin writing at 33. The words kind of police are the ones that sit at the bottom of a hill. We have a state trooper that pull that kinda chit every once in awhile, thinking of pouring a bucket of roofing nails one evening in his hiding spot off the road.
Posted via Mobile Device

74 in a 65 on an interstate? I would hope you wouldnt get a ticket. Cops here wont usually bother you on the interstate till about 11+
Now there small towns, in which I live in kinda a mayberry City with 3 cop cars. They Will setup Speed traps on nice windy back roads Speed limit 30mph and begin writing at 33. The words kind of police are the ones that sit at the bottom of a hill. We have a state trooper that pull that kinda chit every once in awhile, thinking of pouring a bucket of roofing nails one evening in his hiding spot off the road.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sorry bro, thats not unreasonable, that is almost 10 over. 5 over and I could see your point. Dont agree with the roofing nail thing.

Glad he cut you a break James. I think they will take any opportunity to pull you over if your breaking the law, but most will cut you some slack if your civil and don't have outstanding warrants or a long record. In the 47 years I have been riding, I have had one ticket and that was on the dragon last fall. I touched the yellow line in a corner and got a $275 ticket. It upset me some because I spent the whole day dodging the Can Am group who were in my lane exiting the corner, but I did touch the line and I paid the ticket although I felt the fine was excessive. If I would have got a ticket for every time I was speeding on the busa, I would be in need of a loan.:whistle:

Glad he cut you a break James. I think they will take any opportunity to pull you over if your breaking the law, but most will cut you some slack if your civil and don't have outstanding warrants or a long record. In the 47 years I have been riding, I have had one ticket and that was on the dragon last fall. I touched the yellow line in a corner and got a $275 ticket. It upset me some because I spent the whole day dodging the Can Am group who were in my lane exiting the corner, but I did touch the line and I paid the ticket although I felt the fine was excessive. If I would have got a ticket for every time I was speeding on the busa, I would be in need of a loan.:whistle:

Agreed Hal. It was also 2 to 2:30 in the morning, about the time all the drunks are out. I dont blame him one bit for pulling me over. Sorry about your ticket.

Posted via Mobile Device

This confuses me as the speed limit is 65 not 74. 66 is a speed limit violation, yes I know most places there is a unofficial leeway but just because there is that leeway doesn't mean you aren't I violation. If you are having that big of an issue with a place or area that cops sit contact a local official and Make a stink there, seeing as they are the ones setting the rules not the police.

Roofing nails is not really a viable or upstanding solution.

Thats a nasty ticket a bit excessive but I bet I know why. Also I bet it didn't ruin your trip :).

I do my best to warn riders about it but generally not cars. Most of the reckless speeders in my area are kids with lowered civics etc. I feel a speeding ticket is a more useful expenditure in their lives than a stupid exhaust tip out back of the car

It is strange here. I can pass a trooper on I95 at 80 with no problems in a 55mph zone.
But we all know sometimes the wrong moment and the wrong time for the cop and your gonna get a stern talking to. I was in my car, went by him and saw radar gu in hand so as I approached others I flashed my lights which worked and the cars coming slowed down. Next thing I know he was right behind me lights flashing the whole thing. Came up to me and politely explained I was interfering with his ability and it could be considered obstruction. I apologized and he let me go. I can see it his way and ours.
Tapping the helmet I dont know if they would be familiar enough with to know what I was doing? Either way in Florida as im sure others states are some things upset them some things dont.

I only warn sportbike riders now...Harley peeps around here are bunch of a-holes...saw a bunch comeing at me one day with sht eating grins on their faces and low and behold cop was hidden where they just passed and no warning.
No ticket no stop, i got off the throttle and waved at the cop as I passed and he waived back no biggie...

No warning for harley riders from now on..period:moon:. If I STILL had my harley I wouldnt let them know either:laugh::moon:

Other sportbike riders get the Clearwater flash and if I was stopped for it I would just say I was testing my high beams:laugh:can't give you a ticket for that:thumbsup:

YES you can get a ticket for flashing your high beams. In some states the only reason for flashing your high beams is if you are going to pass. As all you know with your GENII the high beam momentary switch is labeled passing.

This is why we all must be familiar with the tap of the top of the helmet. Some how its getting off topic with flashing high beams.
Tap the top of your helmet if you see a cop in the area to other riders Harleys, its up to you but please start this and others that dont know will ask there buddies and hopefully they will start also.
Simple, See a cop, Warner Brother. Flashing high beams is ilegal even to tell someone to move over not only is it annoying its ilegal, tapping of the helmet doesnt intefer with anyones vision just a warning.
I find it very unusal that a cop will pull you over if he sees you patting the top of your helmet.
No excuse for flashing hi beams, but tapping the top of your helmet means you are making sure your helmet is completly on your head, seating the helmet on my head officer, now what was the reason for pulling me over? What is your probable cause for stopping me?
I have spent many times in traffic court and talking with the prosecuter. The law is a fine line and has to be pacific in writing!!! A lot of rookie cops dont have a clue about laws and rules.
Last ticket I got was for parking in a so called "handicapped" parking spot. This is an old grocery store and was not up to codes for there handicap parking spot, A SIGN MOST BE POSTED AT EYE LEVEL OF THE DRIVER IN THE HANDICAP PARKING SPOT....
True, beat it in court and I asked the judge why his officers dont know the law and codes before they write?
Yeah I am a pain in the ass to the law. Sorry I just dont care for the law nor lawyers.

Motorcycle basic hand langauge, pulled off another motorcycle forum..

3. Learn the hand signals. The basic ones that we use are:
A. Hand tapping top of helmet: There's a cop.
B. Pointing frantically to the ground with hand or foot: There's something in the road on that side.
C. Left arm extended and bent 90 degrees with closed fist: We are about to make a final turn in and stop
D. Left Arm extended and bent 90 degrees with open hand: Right turn.
E. Left arm straight out: Left turn
F. Left arm extended out and slightly waving up and down with open hand: slow down or possible stop.
G. Someone flashing all five fingers of one hand at you: you forgot to turn off your blinker.
H. One leg extended to side of bike: That person is about to change lanes in that direction. (I personally prefer and use blinkers, but you need to know this one.)
I. Pointing to the gas tank: I need gas.
J. Pointing to your stomach: I need food.

I like the roofing nails idea. Like I always say, when in doubt RUN! I haven't seen anyone on the org on TV running yet. Who will be the first one? I like the helicopter shots of the guy running on the road. Makes for good TV!!

Back