Waving to cops.

I wave to cops. I have even pulled up next to a motorcycle cop on a new BMW bike and said "that thing looks fast". He replied with "it sure is" and had a big grin. They are people too, just doing their job, I don't see any problem with waving to them.

It's a game. I always wave. If they catch me being stupid, well, I was being stupid. I had a deputy sheriff go above and beyond in helping us out after I had a blowout on the Hayabusa over the holiday weekend. Came back and checked on us repeatedly, hung out when he could, and ultimately loaned me two ratchet straps and called for a city cop to come help us load it into the back of my brother's truck. He had initially offered to let me ride his Drifter home to get my trailer (300 miles away), but I told him I didn't want to trade a Hayabusa for a Drifter if anything happened to his scoot. :p

Cops are people. Some are *******s, and some are rockstars with a badge. Don't start ****, there won't be ****.

I would suspect that according to most state laws, a rider is not supposed to take thier hands off the handlebars when operating a motorcycle. If you wave, you do just that and some cops may pull you over.

A respectful nod of recognition is all I do. They do notice. I also think such more subtle and less emotional acknowledgement is more mature.

I do appreciate when a cop pulls up when I am taking a break by the side of the road, and asks if I need help, and I've expressed my appreciation right there and then.

I don't like when they hide in the bushes and point a radar gun at me, or follow me from a distance and wait for me to nail it.

So, I have a mixed feelings about them, and prefer a more reserved means of expressing my recognition.

Waving to a cop I don't know just doesn't feel right. Not to mention that waving to a cop who points a radar gun at you would seem like an ass-kissing.

I wave to all bikes I am usually waving before I realize its a cop. Cops in car I still wave. I have had way way too many tickets but everyone of them I deserved and I should have plenty more. I can't be mad at a guy for doing his job just because I am in the wrong. They are not out to "get us" they are out to do a job. I had a guy the other day nearly take out a concrete barrier getting around me and scare the crap out of me blowing his horn because I was taking too much time to make sure the semi I was getting in front of saw me. Little did he know an unmarked LEO was right behind him and saw the whole thing. That guy was in the wrong he pulled him over and I kinda saluted him as I passed as a Thank You. He gave a nod. The way some of you guys talk about LEO's they are just looking for anything to make up to pull a sportbike over. Thats not true, they do draw more attention but so does anything that is sporty or look like a teenagers car. If you don't want the attention don't drive something that gets it. JMO.

First I wave to the police in my hometown because the Chief and the Lt are both my Neighbors. Frankly they do a Job I could not. As it happens last spring the Lt. gave me a speeding ticket while I was in my truck. I earned it , I paid it and I still wave to him because he is a good neighbor. As a rule I wave to most police, I have recently run into guy who just plain wanted to hassle someone on a street bike. I got to work and asked one of the police I work with about the guy, They were back shortly and described him as a " bully with a badge." and the "The guy that makes the rest of look bad." I will keep waving .

Riding on I-75 north of Tampa, I wave at them when they are in the south bound lanes and I'm heading north. There are guard rails all along the way so they can't cross over to ticket me. I'm usually doing 90mph and wave at them to keep them awake.:laugh: As soon as I wave I kick it up to 110mph. So far no issues. I think they like me!:whistle:

I don't wave to cops because I do not want is misconstrued as being a jackass...

If I knew it wouldn't be, I would wave to every cop just like I do motorcycles.

I waved at a cop and the cop gave me the finger. And then when I looked back in shock he started following me. That was a long 5 miles to the next county. I got run out of town. All I was thinking don't mess up are you are going to jail. DO NOT PASS GO, DO NOT COLLECT $200 DOLLARS.

That is sad and he needs a new job. Just remember we aren't all like that...

I wave and when the opportunity presents itself, I pull up right next to them at a stoplight and say hi.:thumbsup:

Every ticket I've gotten, I've earned it the hard way. I have had great interactions with them throughout my years of driving and riding and wave to every one of them, usually get a wave back, if they dont I chalk it up to being busy or late on my part.

I wave to cops, firefighters, EMTs and anyone else who is willing to give their life for the humanity of others. Respect I say.:beerchug:

Back