Twisties are getting more fun!

lurk.gif

... and back to the subject...

firedevil.gif

BigBS, how far from from some hill country are you... I'd say hook up w/ another Busa pilot in Hill country or make the pilgrimage this summer to Laguna Seca and I'll take ya for some serious carving...

firedevil.gif

firedevil.gif

CA, we are trying to get the local 'Busas together and do some ridin'. I found some small (and I do mean small) twisties yesterday that I would like to go and hit again. I'd love to make it out to Laguna this summer, but I won't be in the country then. Maybe next summer!
biggrin.gif

how much un-used rubber do u have on your tires, ya know the chicken bars!!! haha
They should be called "wisdom" strips, since this would show others that you know when NOT to push it too far.

I'm just an idiot though
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
(NOTE: This was done at the track, NOT on the street)

<!--EDIT|stkr00
Reason for Edit: None given...|1121815517 -->

Road_America_5_30_05_017sm.jpg

laugh.gif

how much un-used rubber do u have on your tires, ya know the chicken bars!!! haha
They should be called "wisdom" strips, since this would show others that you know when NOT to push it too far.

I'm just an idiot though
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
I like that name wisdom strips, every time I seem to get in a corner wear I could get rid of my "chicken/wisdom" strips. The thought of my family pops in to my head and I seem to back off!

laugh.gif

no offense to whoever it was talking about how much faster they were on the track than the 'busa.. I know you owned one, and tried to mod it into being something it wasn't intended to be... then you sorta blame it for not being as succesful as something that was already designed for track use... I don't get it...

How about this..

You seem like a pretty resonable guy..

would you put your bike up against a 'busa anywhere other than a track?

I'm not saying one 10 mile stretch of twisty mnt road... i'm saying 40-50 miles (approximate total race distance) anywhere other than a closed race track?

not trying to be a ####.. just trying to put things in perspective... not many people are buying hayabusas as a race/track bike.... even fewer are racers that plan on racing the 'busa.. so why should we give two farts in front of an industrial fan about 2 seconds per lap at -insert track name here- ?

Keith Code's Twist of the Wrist Vol II
Lee Park's Total Control

Learn those books and you'll easily spank 95% of the kiddos out there on 600cc scalpels. It ain't the machine, it's the rider. The only real exception to that rule is straiht line - where the Busa's are GODS. Having a stack of you guys pass me at over 150 like I was standing still was just awesome! I actually felt the low pressure from the bikes wake!

Get some oversize knee pucks - you'll need'em! My biggest concern with a 'busa cornering wouldn't be 'can it corner' it would be 'if I am in the wrong gear and roll on I'm gonna break the back end loose and highside.'

HEH - I didn't think about how that might be interpreted when I wrote it. The 'Busa is such a low bike to begin with that if you hang out a knee you're gonna grind down your pucks in a HURRY. I promise I wasn't making a Lewinsky joke.

This year, I feel much more confident on my bike for some odd reason and I have to admit I am starting to like the curves in the road when they arise. (Here in CO, it can be quite often.)

I bought the Busa with no intention of ever being a twisties person; I just wanted the straight speed. As I am getting to be a more experienced motorcyclist, I have to admit, I love leaning my baby into the curves... I can get just as big a rush in the curves as I can get at 160. I can see myself owning one of these 1k bikes before long...

cloud
And so it starts...
biggrin.gif
I was the same way. Started out on a busa because drag racing was my thing. I had no idea what sport riding was. What better bike to drag than a busa, right? Well, after I bought it, but before I drag prepped it a member of this site (Pimpbike) talked me into going to the mountains with him. After one trip I was HOOKED in a BIG way. I couldn't ride worth a ####, but I loved it. The litres started making sense to me... Ended up with a 10R. Awesome twisty bike but grossly overpowered for the street. I just made the move to a ZX636 and couldn't be happier in the twisties.
super.gif

I enjoyed the Hell out of my time on the 10R. It was even more insane to ride than a busa. Best analogy I've heard regarding the 10R's nature is "Like a backpack full of rattlesnakes." It's hard to describe the litre bike ride. It's like a "bad boy on acid" feel with a "chew you up and spit you out" risk factor thrown in. The busa is SOOOOOO much more forgiving of bad rider input that it isn't even funny. Things the busa would let you get away with will almost put you in another lane on the 10, if it doesn't put you on your arse instead.

Even though I enjoyed the 10 if I had it to do again now I'd just go straight for a supersport 600 and skip the litre. If you could keep the busa and get a 600 for the twisties you would have the absolute best of both worlds.

And I don't want to hear about big guys needin' litres... I'm 6ft and close to 300 lbs and I can scoot on the 636. It's all the bike/power I need for the street. It rails street twisties with power in reserve. When it's in it's powerband it's a screamer. Also, the litres are down to 600 size basically so room/comfort for a bigger guy isn't the valid argument it used to me. In fact the 636 seems to give me a bit more leg room than the 10 did.
wink.gif

Keep the busa and get a 600 instead of a litre if you really want a great handling bike to learn more about twisty ridin' on. A lot of people seem to end up not riding as well when they learn twisties on a litre. The overpowered nature can shoot your mid corner confidence in a hurry. It can also hurt you in the twisties in a hurry.

Anybody remember when I said I couldn't ride a 600 because I can't stand to twist the throttle and NOT get more than I wanted? And that I'd always prefer overkill to underpowered.
biggrin.gif
Funny how things change, huh?
wink.gif
I'm to the point that I believe I could have fun in the twisties on a good handling 250.
laugh.gif
Not planning on ever making that move, but it's funny how my wants and "needs" have changed as I've gained experience.
wink.gif

biggrin.gif

wink.gif

wink.gif

This year, I feel much more confident on my bike for some odd reason and I have to admit I am starting to like the curves in the road when they arise. (Here in CO, it can be quite often.)

I bought the Busa with no intention of ever being a twisties person; I just wanted the straight speed. As I am getting to be a more experienced motorcyclist, I have to admit, I love leaning my baby into the curves... I can get just as big a rush in the curves as I can get at 160. I can see myself owning one of these 1k bikes before long...

cloud
And so it starts...
biggrin.gif
 I was the same way. Started out on a busa because drag racing was my thing. I had no idea what sport riding was. What better bike to drag than a busa, right? Well, after I bought it, but before I drag prepped it a member of this site (Pimpbike) talked me into going to the mountains with him. After one trip I was HOOKED in a BIG way. I couldn't ride worth a ####, but I loved it. The litres started making sense to me... Ended up with a 10R. Awesome twisty bike but grossly overpowered for the street. I just made the move to a ZX636 and couldn't be happier in the twisties.
super.gif

I enjoyed the Hell out of my time on the 10R. It was even more insane to ride than a busa. Best analogy I've heard regarding the 10R's nature is "Like a backpack full of rattlesnakes." It's hard to describe the litre bike ride. It's like a "bad boy on acid" feel with a "chew you up and spit you out" risk factor thrown in. The busa is SOOOOOO much more forgiving of bad rider input that it isn't even funny. Things the busa would let you get away with will almost put you in another lane on the 10, if it doesn't put you on your arse instead.

Even though I enjoyed the 10 if I had it to do again now I'd just go straight for a supersport 600 and skip the litre. If you could keep the busa and get a 600 for the twisties you would have the absolute best of both worlds.

And I don't want to hear about big guys needin' litres... I'm 6ft and close to 300 lbs and I can scoot on the 636. It's all the bike/power I need for the street. It rails street twisties with power in reserve. When it's in it's powerband it's a screamer. Also, the litres are down to 600 size basically so room/comfort for a bigger guy isn't the valid argument it used to me. In fact the 636 seems to give me a bit more leg room than the 10 did.
wink.gif

Keep the busa and get a 600 instead of a litre if you really want a great handling bike to learn more about twisty ridin' on. A lot of people seem to end up not riding as well when they learn twisties on a litre. The overpowered nature can shoot your mid corner confidence in a hurry. It can also hurt you in the twisties in a hurry.

Anybody remember when I said I couldn't ride a 600 because I can't stand to twist the throttle and NOT get more than I wanted? And that I'd always prefer overkill to underpowered.
biggrin.gif
Funny how things change, huh?
wink.gif
I'm to the point that I believe I could have fun in the twisties on a good handling 250.
laugh.gif
Not planning on ever making that move, but it's funny how my wants and "needs" have changed as I've gained experience.
wink.gif
I am surprised you found this post BT from last season...
biggrin.gif

Your input is greatly appreciated and I will keep that in mind. I went turbo on the busa, but haven't got it running yet. Too busy with a new house, etc... I think you have at least talked me into trying both bikes before settling for sure...

I am surprised you ended up with a 600 instead of the 1000. Are you ever going back to a busa...
biggrin.gif

CLoud

biggrin.gif

wink.gif

wink.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

I'm just an idiot though
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Here are my Wisdom (or lack thereof) strips on the stock 636 tires. I'm almost into idiot territory. Maybe I'm already there considering this is all street ridin' with only 128 miles on the bike. I think they're scrubbed in and ready to REALLY ride on now.
wink.gif

Left...

IMG_0087.jpg

Right...

IMG_0086.jpg

laugh.gif

I am surprised you found this post BT from last season...
biggrin.gif

Your input is greatly appreciated and I will keep that in mind. I went turbo on the busa, but haven't got it running yet. Too busy with a new house, etc... I think you have at least talked me into trying both bikes before settling for sure...

I am surprised you ended up with a 600 instead of the 1000. Are you ever going back to a busa...
biggrin.gif

CLoud
Holy crap... I didn't read the "Born On Date". CorrodedAlien dug up this bone, I just chewed on it after he found it.
biggrin.gif

And yes I still want another busa, but ONLY as a second bike to my 600 for the twisties. Now I could lower and prep a busa for street cruisin' and maybe a little draggin' and not ruin my mountain ride.
biggrin.gif
I admittedly have less of a desire to drag a bike since getting into the twisties, but I still love the busa.
wink.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

cloud
+1

Back