twisty's ?

06busa and I took a ride around the Harrisonburg VA loop through WV one day last week and he really took the road well. Leaving me at time :laugh: but he is a great rider. I was talking with him and he was telling me about the counter steering. I started trying it and it really makes a big difference. I was pretty aggressive rider I thought until I almost lost my bike a while back with my lady on the back of it. I have noticed since then I have backed off in the turns. 1, I am to old (51) to heal quickly now and, 2 I will admit I am a little scared to. I use to be fearless but with all the pain I have with my back I really don't want anymore. Just be safe and have fun. :laugh:

When you are one with the bike, you become a different animal - not just a human any longer. Trusting your instincts regardless of anything else becomes ever so important for survival. It may feel strange at first. But if you listen, it's like a little angel is always with you. It will let you know things that are impossible to forsee. Don't suppress it. Learn to listen to it. You will be surprised time and again.

I've been trying to get better in the twisty stuff, and I guess I'm probably on the wrong bike to learn how to do it wright. If I can see most of the turn I'm fine, but in blind corners I'm having a lot of trouble. I don't know if it's a mental block, or something. I' never push it too hard, because I want to make it home, and don't have leather pants YET. And God forbid a car coming the other way over the line. I've been going into blind turns, and finding that I'm going way too slow (better than too hot I guess).

I'm not trying to use the back roads as a track, just would like to be a little (well MORE) smooth.

My question is....What do you do in a blind turn ?

THANKS

Slow down. I need to learn a corner and practice it a lot before I'll just toss the bike into it.

if your doubting the busa in twistys, i'd suggest getting to know the bike and its capabilities. get nice open parking lot and practice making wide 8 turns, then make em tighter. find a round a bout and just go round and round.
personally if i dont know the road, i take it easy. DO NOT TRY TO KEEP UP WITH ANYONE. RIDE YOUR RIDE. if i cant see completely thro the turn, i definately slow down.

Again, not doubting the Busa in turns.......just MYSELF IN BLIND TURNS !!!

Why is it such a bad thing to suggest ME learning (getting better) on a smaller bike ? TRUST ME, I HATE hearing knocks against the bike I LOVE, so that's NOT what I'm doing.

Shoot, I still refuse to believe the BMW is faster !! I just came to except the Gen 2 is a LITTLE better :laugh:

Last edited:
When you are one with the bike, you become a different animal - not just a human any longer. Trusting your instincts regardless of anything else becomes ever so important for survival. It may feel strange at first. But if you listen, it's like a little angel is always with you. It will let you know things that are impossible to forsee. Don't suppress it. Learn to listen to it. You will be surprised time and again.

Very True...........That is what it is All About :bowdown:

Look man, I try to be a better rider ever single time I hit 'twisties', but the truth is I've spent months in hospital from many, many broken bones. I know the pain of torn ligaments, metalwork and subsequent bone diseases. ****ting in bowls, pissing down tubes and hoping the painkillers haven't caused you to need forceful aid to your plumbing!

The truth is the above advice will actually make it safer to ride, regardless of what speed you choose. In my opinion you're a greater man to control your pride and respect the fear that keeps you from hospital HELL.

Last edited:
I dont have any more wisdom than whats already been said. I ride with a guy that has a seperate track bike and races quite a bit. He also has been riding the roads we ride on for about 20 years. I try my best to follow his lines around turns, watch his speed and never feel like I have to keep up with him, if I fall back, so be it, I catch him at the next stop sign. I know my bike will stick and perform, it's my own skill that I'm working on.

Look man, I try to be a better rider ever single time I hit 'twisties', but the truth is I've spent months in hospital from many, many broken bones. I know the pain of torn ligaments, metalwork and subsequent bone diseases. ****ting in bowls, pissing down tubes and hoping the painkillers haven't caused you to need forceful aid to your plumbing!

The truth is the above advice will actually make it safer to ride, regardless of what speed you choose. In my opinion you're a greater man to control your pride and respect the fear that keeps you from hospital HELL.

Yeah, that's what I'm trying to avoid !

Study your book knowledge, sign up for a track day. Riding efficiently comes with lots of technique, but there is no substitute for practice and racking up miles.

Very famous article written some years ago is The Pace. So good, we built it into the tour site.

The Pace by Nick Ienatsch - Pashnit Motorcycle Tours in California, guided

Click and read.

And practice, practice. It's a wonderfully capable machine.

Dsc00190_busa_800.jpg

Dsc00190_busa_800.jpg

Here's an except from our safety brief for group tours. Riding on the track varies a bit from these.

1. Stay away from the White: Right hand turns, stay to the outside. Smooth arc around corner carries speed.

2. Ride Outside In, ie Delayed Late Apex technique: Choose your lane position properly.

3. Entry Speed is Everything: Entry speed determines corner outcome. Choose your entry speed & gear appropriately. Brake leading up & into corner, 50% mark, release and power out.

4. 4th Rider Rule: If you find yourself trying to keep up with the 3 fast riders in front of you, you’re going too fast.

5. There is no TRYING in Riding: If you are TRYING to keep up, it’s too fast for your ability.

6. Fast in the Corners, Slow in the Straights: Steady pace is best.

7. Lane Position most important on backroads: Can’t see around blind corner, take the high road. Do not ride the inside white line on blind right handers.

8. Right Handers with Gravel on apex: When shoulder is same level as road = Caution.

Decreasing Radius Corners

1. J-Hook Corner: Series of twisties, long straight appears and everyone instinctively speeds up. Do not do this. Steady speed & pace. At end of long straight is corner with a hook or corner that tightens up as it arcs around
2. Decreasing radius is: Smooth entry and arc, 50% mark, corner tightens up

Study your book knowledge, sign up for a track day. Riding efficiently comes with lots of technique, but there is no substitute for practice and racking up miles.

Very famous article written some years ago is The Pace. So good, we built it into the tour site.

The Pace by Nick Ienatsch - Pashnit Motorcycle Tours in California, guided

Click and read.

And practice, practice. It's a wonderfully capable machine.

View attachment 193684

Thanks, that's what I was looking for before I posted this. I read it a while ago on here, and that's what got me interested in the twisty's. I was finding that the only way I was having fun on my bike was at triple digits on the slab when I read this article, and someone saying how much fun it was without hardly breaking the speed limit at all.

Back