A Thrilling Ride in Some Real Twisties

like I did today, there's no time to stop for pictures. Shout out to 'MDSportTour' a group that let me tag along today. Wow what a ride! I met them at 7am and got back home at 6:30pm ... 431 miles of blissful riding ... will this smile ever go away ... nope I don't think so! We rode into the mountains west of Harrisonburg, WV and experienced everything from real tight switchbacks to long sweeping curves. These guys and girl ride extremely well. Thank goodness I was sweeper and didn't slow them down too much. I have so much more to learn about flogging the Busa through high speed twisties and today was my first lesson. Riding with this group will make me a much better rider ... no doubts. The Busa handled well and as my skill level increase, I'm thinking about doing some handling upgrades instead of purchasing a Turbo system. I love straight up speed and power, but my new passion is leaning into the curves. I can write a book here about the fun day I had, but I'll chill for now ... go grab a beer and reflect on a totally awesome day of riding ... dang I can't stop smiling
smile.gif
Way to go DJ! I wish I could have rode with you all. I need to improve my "twisties" skills. Maybe you can get some pics next time through.

I thought about a ride like that for our Fall ride but decided against it for a more tamer ride. I didn't know who all could keep up on such a demanding course (myself included).

Take care!

Tom.
Tom ... yes I'll take pics next time for sure. I agree that the route you planned for us was perfect for our group of mixed skills and experience as there was something for everyone. I'm thinking the same course next year will be great with a detour for the additional event you're thinking about.

have any of you riders experienced the dragon!!! those are some sweet curves! they say a busa dont curve, they werent with me and my buddy on a tl1000r going through the smokeys and deals gap!! we were fling, no more chicken wing here. i
scrapped the fairing on the right side of my bike going through the curves, along with my pegs and feet.it was awesome.

have any of you riders experienced the dragon!!! those are some sweet curves! they say a busa dont curve, they werent with me and my buddy on a tl1000r going through the smokeys and deals gap!! we were fling, no more chicken wing here. i
scrapped the fairing on the right side of my bike going through the curves, along with my pegs and feet.it was awesome.
There has been a couple of h.org bashes at the Dragon this year. I haven't experienced it myself yet, but it is on my list of things to do for next year.

Dang, DJ, I just hope I don't slow you and BT down too much at the Gap next year. Both of you are getting in some good rides it sounds like! Maybe I'll just sit back and take pics with my slow a$$!

Is it safe to assume that the colder the weather gets, the less traction a MC has when cornering, even though the MC's tires are warmed up?

Thanks.

Postal.

rock.gif

Dang, DJ, I just hope I don't slow you and BT down too much at the Gap next year.  Both of you are getting in some good rides it sounds like!  Maybe I'll just sit back and take pics with my slow a$$!
Naw Bro ... you'll be find ... we're going there to have fun, no racing on our first trip. I'm guessing that BT will be leading on Da Screamin Demon, so we'll both be hard pressed to keep up with him.

Is it safe to assume that the colder the weather gets, the less traction a MC has when cornering, even though the MC's tires are warmed up?

Thanks.

Postal.

rock.gif
That is true ... outside temps do effect both the stickiness of the road surface and the tires. ... just do the 'wobble' ride after each stop to warm up the tires quicker.

Thanks.

Postal.

rock.gif
That is true ... outside temps do effect both the stickiness of the road surface and the tires. ... just do the 'wobble' ride after each stop to warm up the tires quicker.
Thanks DJ. So let's say on a 40 degree day, even with my tires warmed up, I shouldn't go into a corner so hot that my knee is almost on the ground? Would the bike stick?

wow.gif

Thanks.

Postal.

rock.gif
Thanks DJ. So let's say on a 40 degree day, even with my tires warmed up, I shouldn't go into a corner so hot that my knee is almost on the ground? Would the bike stick?

wow.gif
Tom,

One day I hope to be smart enough to know the correct answer, but I can tell you that it was in the mid-forties last Sunday and my Diablo's stuck like glue. They only slid when I 'accidentally on purpose' tried some trail braking by lightly tapping the rear brakes
smile.gif
My only issues were with my suspension setup. Maybe Vaughn or Ben were taught some techy stuff about different road conditions while they were in Atlanta.

<!--EDIT|sageronin
Reason for Edit: None given...|1098398798 -->

Thanks.

Postal.

rock.gif

wow.gif
Tom,

One day I hope to be smart enough to know the correct answer, but I can tell you that it was in the mid-forties last Sunday and my Diablo's stuck like glue. They only slid when I 'accidentally on purpose' tried some trail braking by lightly tapping the rear brakes
smile.gif
My only issues were with my suspension setup. Maybe Vaughn or Ben were taught some techy stuff about different road conditions while they were in Atlanta.
Thanks DJ. Hey, when in July are you going to CA?

Back